Rapidly cooling fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
My batch of blonde ale is currently on its 2nd day of fermenting, and I was looking at the yeast packet, and it says to keep it under 75 F. It was 82 in the house so i got a big Rubbermain container and filled it with ice and water, and let the fermenter sit inside of it to cool down. Is there any damage done by doin this? Thanks

You're good.

I recently started doing this and am enjoying being able to ferment at lower temperatures.

Really opens up some new styles and yeasts with just being able to get the temps below 70.

Many people use water baths to control their ferment temp. You will probably get some off flavors from being at or above 82 for 2 days but it will probably be fine.

OK thanks guys. I dont think it was 82 for the first 2 days, it was nice and cool yesterday, but today was just blazing. It was around 70-75 for the first 2 days.

A drop in temp after it's started fermenting could cause the yeast to flocculate prematurely, slowing down or stalling fermentation, so you'll want to keep an eye on that.

A drop in temp after it's started fermenting could cause the yeast to flocculate prematurely, slowing down or stalling fermentation, so you'll want to keep an eye on that.

Agreed. The first few days are when temperature is most critical (while the yeast is multiplying). After two days, the damage is pretty much done, IMO. I would have left it at the higher temperature just to avoid the risk of prematurely stalling fermentation.

My method is to chill the wort to about 5 degrees below their ideal temperature range so that it's cool during the critical period and let it rise to the top of the range to get good attenuation.

I think you will be good. I recently had a belgian get to 80 during fermentation it still tastes like malty goodness:)

Alright sweet, so I hope it will turn out still. Its my first ever batch, so im paranoid about the smallest things going wrong. Its been kept at 65 now for the last 12 hours or so now, and will be for the rest of fermentation.

Back