Anybody brewing in this heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Its been pretty warm in Oregon, above 85 recently. Not exactly the kind of weather I want to be boiling the kettle, indoors or out doors. I've got plenty of home brew saved up and I don't plan to brew again until fall.

85 sounds like a nice FL spring day! Temps have been hitting 95 around here and I am still brewing. Though prechilling is a must

I am. Almost hit 90 here today. Was only outside long enough to heat up and start my mash. Worked on the tan a bit :p

I've got an evaporative cooler on the garage, so I can cool the brewery just by opening the connecting door.

But, it's 95F outside and the cooler is blowing 80F at 60% RH. So, I think I'll just work on the drywall. Just put the Mild in the cabinet and tap. Maybe I'll look for some apple juice tomorrow to pitch on the cake. Haven't had any cider for a while and it looks like a bad year for apples in the valley. I've seen reports of 15% normal due to the May rains. That means no fresh cider on the cheap.

i would love your 85 its been getting into the hundreds here and at this moment its 99!!!! when we brew we have to bust out the slipnslide now lol!!!

i would love your 85 its been getting into the hundreds here and at this moment its 99!!!! when we brew we have to bust out the slipnslide now lol!!!

Tell me about it. I think 85 is going to be our low today.

I've been brewing in our 100+ heat. My pre-chiller and ice, lots and lots of ice, are necessities.

Tell me about it. I think 85 is going to be our low today.

I've been brewing in our 100+ heat. My pre-chiller and ice, lots and lots of ice, are necessities.

Tell me about it, same here, and I had the stones to brew a lager yesterday. Don't ask what I was thinking. Imagine trying to chill wort to 50 degrees when its 100 degrees outside, and the tap water in your IC is 90. I used a metric crapton of ice! :D

Been hot in Vegas recently as well (to be expected). I've got a batch in my primary right now, with AC the apartment is around 75, so not too bad.

Its been pretty warm in Oregon, above 85 recently. Not exactly the kind of weather I want to be boiling the kettle, indoors or out doors. I've got plenty of home brew saved up and I don't plan to brew again until fall.

85, huh?
it's been mid 90s, temp AND humidity here in tampa this week, but i got in an altbier and a gruit in the driveway. i put up a tarp overhead and had a few cold ones in the fridge.

Whipped up some pumpkin ale and it was 92*F per the trusty thermometer in my truck on the way to the store...

Apparently I got a little sunburn as well today... Ugh...

Go brew a saison! I just brewed one today and am excited to let it roll at 82 degrees.

It's been a real a** scorcher this summer with temps in the high nineties to low 100's.
Brew orders arrive at the end of a hot day after being baked 10 hours in a delivery van.

My old POS fermentation fridge in the garage is hanging tough so far. I'm brewing some. But I have more plans for this "fall".

I would LOVE an 85* day. Maybe in November...sigh. We have 100* days and humidty so high that you brake a sweat reaching for the towel when you step out of the shower.

Yep, it was 100+ on Saturday when I brewed, I brewed 8 gallons instead of my normal 5 gallons and the immersion chiller could only get the wort down to 110F.

I just put it in the fermentors and stuck in the back room while I fed the yeast with some of the new wort for a day.

My last two brew days have been ~ 100º. Our ground water is almost 90º. Lots of ice (and sweat) required for each brew. It's brutal, but if I don't brew, I don't have homebrew to drink.

Our ground water is almost 90º

For me this is the biggest problem. I don't mind sweating, but since I don't have a pre-chiller yet the carboy has to sit in the fridge overnight before I can pitch yeast.

Plus with a pre-chiller, a metric crap-ton of ice doesn't sound like fun.

Brewed yesterday in mid-90s...same prob here with chilling. I just let the IC take it to mid-80s and then put the carboy in a water bath (or fridge for a lager). I pitched a few hours later @ ~63 F.

Lagers are a little easier during summer for me. The chilling part isn't but maintaining proper ferm temp def is.

For me this is the biggest problem. I don't mind sweating, but since I don't have a pre-chiller yet the carboy has to sit in the fridge overnight before I can pitch yeast.

Plus with a pre-chiller, a metric crap-ton of ice doesn't sound like fun.
I actually use my coil as a post-chiller, in-line after the plate chiller. So basically, the plate chiller gets the wort down to ~ 90º, and then down to 60-70º as it goes through the coil in the ice bath. I find this works better than trying to pre-chill the cooling water that goes through the plate chiller, but I do use every bit of 10 lbs of ice per 5 gals.

85°? We don't even turn the a/c on till its in the 90's ...:D was 87° Saturday's brewday I just stay in the shade and it's all good ...

90f? JEEEZUS! Our AC is going fulltime these days. Overall it's been cool this summer, but the weekend was pretty damn hot...in the 90's. And humid as ballsweat.

I brewed 20 gallons in the heat and humidity yesterday. It was a LOT of work. I don't think I stayed hydrated enough, because I felt like crap last night after 8 hours in the sun. And even with a prechiller I couldn't get my wort below 78-ish. Summer sucks for brewing. Sucks! But I do it anyway...because, well, I can't stop.

90f? JEEEZUS! Our AC is going fulltime these days. Overall it's been cool this summer, but the weekend was pretty damn hot...in the 90's. And humid as ballsweat.

I don't like giving my money to the power company so we installed a variable speed pool pump and a variable speed evaporative cooler. We are really dry here as well as hot and the thing works beautifully. It has been over 100F for about 10 days now and it is always below 75F in the house and the best part............. My Power and gas bills was $57 for June 15 - July 15th. This with the outrageous power rates in "lovely" california.

That is with 3 fridges, a 25K gallon pool and cooling a 1800 SF house in 100 degree weather :rockin:

I brewed 20 gallons in the heat and humidity yesterday. It was a LOT of work. I don't think I stayed hydrated enough, because I felt like crap last night after 8 hours in the sun. And even with a prechiller I couldn't get my wort below 78-ish. Summer sucks for brewing. Sucks! But I do it anyway...because, well, I can't stop.

I like it warm but the humidity has been real low so far this summer so its bearable with just a few fans. I did the same Sunday I was doing some siding on the garage and didn't keep up with the H2O. I felt dizzy,lightheaded ,weak and stopped sweating . Had to take a cool shower and drank lots of water took about 3 hours before I felt ok again... ohh and sucked bigtime because I didn't have a beer all day ..SWMBO after that little episode said something along the lines " If I see you with a beer I will shove one of those taps so far...." well you get the idea

SWMBO after that little episode said something along the lines " If I see you with a beer I will shove one of those taps so far...." well you get the idea
"But honey...I did it for the high-energy B-vitamins...and electrolytes.":p

you can have the rain and 65

We call that, "every month except July and August."

102.5F right now. Drove into the Big town to get some blood work done. Someone neglected to check the 12 hour fast box, so I have to come back another day. Picked up some apple juice concentrate to toss on the cake. If there's juice available in the Fall, I'll just make more.

Las Vegas - I remember it well. 122F the day I had my job interview.

I was brewing in the shop last week. I looked up and saw a coyote chasing a rabbit and it was so hot, they were both walking.
Hopefully, after this summer, brewing in the summer will be an anomaly. Even in the shop with the fans running, it's miserable. But the beer is good - Dwain

suposed to hit 101 here in seattle on wednesday, I have a double brew day planned. I may be doing it all in my tighty whities to keep cool. ( is everyone thinking what i'm thinking ? ............men of homebrewing catolog

Just hit 100 here in Wenatchee WA. I made one brew outside in the shade. Not too bad, sure didn't take long to get the water to boil... :)

We have a deep drilled well, and I measured our tap water temp. today, was 62. I don't have a chiller, so that really helps.

Hoping to brew up to more tomorrow, BeirMunchers Centenail Ale, and a Chocolate Espresso Stout.

Drinking beer to stay cool. My pipeline is very low, but I don't know if I've got the stones to brew anytime soon.

Yep. Crazy heat in the Northwest, mid to upper 90's all week and homes in the Seattle area just aren't air conditioned. I know lots of areas get hotter, but most people are set up with AC in those areas.

I brewed an IPA on Saturday and now I'm having to add ice the container I have the primary in like every 4 or 5 hours. That worked over the weekend fine but it's gonna be tough during the week. I'm just knocking it down to about 66 before I go to work and hoping it stays below 72 while I'm gone. Still not happy about the temp deviation though.

Last I brewed was 2 weeks ago, in the afternoon. It was 116 on the back porch. Yuck

Hehe. I brewed out on the back porch two weeks ago, too. 116 sounds about right. Turkey fryer didn't have to work very hard to keep the boil going.

The surprising part was chilling. With 90F degree tap water I knew it was going to be tricky to hit my target pitching temp of 59F. I ended up overdoing it a bit and wound up with a bucket full of 52F wort. :eek: Ended up being a great fermentation. :rockin:

I can't wait to do it again.

Back