Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was hoping to brew this recipe tomorrow morning (SWMBO is working). i have some columbus that are around 13 and some simco that is around 12. maybe a cascade columbus mix to bump up the IBU's?

Did you brew this yet? I'm in CMH and have some magnum on hand if you want to swap. I just did the stone IPA from byo on Saturday night.
Lemme know,

Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

I don't know why this is stumping me, but is the 10.5 lbs of Pale mentioned above "Pale Malt (Crisp)" or regular ol' Pale 2-Row (US or UK). Is there a difference? Also, Briess or Rahr? Thanks

I don't know why this is stumping me, but is the 10.5 lbs of Pale mentioned above "Pale Malt (Crisp)" or regular ol' Pale 2-Row (US or UK). Is there a difference? Also, Briess or Rahr? Thanks

Juat plain ole U.S. 2row, manufacturer will not matter.

Did you brew this yet? I'm in CMH and have some magnum on hand if you want to swap. I just did the stone IPA from byo on Saturday night.
Lemme know,

ya, i brewed this recipe saturday with some columbus and cascade for bittering. my closet stinks wonderfully with this and some meed going! thanks for the offer though!

:off:i know this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but i just read on nottinghams website that you do not need to aerate the wort if you use it. Anybody have any experience with this?:D

Brewed this up yesterday for my first IPA. Of course my LHBS didnt have neither centennial or warrior, so I had to sub. Nugget and Amarillo. I am still very happy with the smell. I dont know if I can wait to get this in the keg!!! Thanks Ed.

SD

Well here is a glass of Stone Ruination pulled from a keg at their brewery for comparison. I would have to say it looks more clear then the bottle you poured. Maybe you had a bottle with more sediment then typical?

ruination.jpg

You mind posting that recipe? I like me some Stone IPA. All the different recipe versions might help me narrow down my own. Thanks!

I was just looking at the BYO article and this recipe. The BYO grain bill is just
2-row and Crystal 15L. The Munich and 20L is why Ed's recipe is a bit darker. The hops are 6 AAU (.43 oz @ 14%) Magnum for bittering and then Pearl, Centennial and Chinook for a total of 77 IBU.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make my IPA. Probably go with Ed's base, but mix up the hops.

im drinkin a stone Ipa right now.. my second actually.
i followed ed's recipe 100%. im hoping mine tastes better than the real thing ;)
not enough dry hoppin over at stone im affraid!
i want more aroma damnit!

I was just looking at the BYO article and this recipe. The BYO grain bill is just
2-row and Crystal 15L. The Munich and 20L is why Ed's recipe is a bit darker. The hops are 6 AAU (.43 oz @ 14%) Magnum for bittering and then Pearl, Centennial and Chinook for a total of 77 IBU.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make my IPA. Probably go with Ed's base, but mix up the hops.
I did my second 10 gallon batch of this last month, bottled on 1-4 09, I used 2 oz of colubus plugs and 1 oz of Chinook pellets for the bittering and it is good man, really good, just thought Id share.:mug:

So, I tried this recipe for my first batch ever. Except I used Zues for bittering with centennial for finishing.

Also, I substituted pale malt extract for the pale grain.

We'll see how it turns out. Stone's I.P.A. and Ruination are two of my faves!

Cheers :mug:

Partial Mashing 4# 2-row, 1# Munich, 1# CaraHell. Adding 4# light DME. 1oz Nugget @ 60. 1oz Centennial @ 15, 5 & Dryhop. For some reason, I was thinking Nugget instead of warrior when I bought my hops. Oh well, can't wait to see hop this one tuns out!

Partial Mashing 4# 2-row, 1# Munich, 1# CaraHell. Adding 4# light DME. 1oz Nugget @ 60. 1oz Centennial @ 15, 5 & Dryhop. For some reason, I was thinking Nugget instead of warrior when I bought my hops. Oh well, can't wait to see hop this one tuns out!

Digging up an old thread, but how did this turn out? I'm looking for a partial mash Stone clone recipe.

Mine is fricking awsome! It's actually a Stone IPA Clone, but it tastes more like the Ruination. Much better than the real thing. I'm so stoked, I'm brewing it again tomorrow.
Here's the recipe.

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial. The stainless herb ball in the keg works great!

My LBS doesn't sell warrior. Do you have any suggestions on which would work best as a substition for me out of what my shop provides? This is what we have here in Reno:

Brewer’s Gold
Centennial
Chinook
Cluster
Columbus
Fuggles
Kent Goldings
Hallertau
Liberty
Mount Hood
Nugget
Northern Brewer
Perle
Saaz

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I've been looking for a good IPA for MONTHS.

Digging up an old thread, but how did this turn out? I'm looking for a partial mash Stone clone recipe.

My appologies for the delay in reply, but this recipe turned out amazing! It's been gone a while now, but I remember it well. Sooooo good. I have since gone AG and am looking forward to brewing this again AG. Thanks again Ed for another winner! :rockin:

I just wanted to point out that this recipe is the Bee Cave IPA from EdWort's recipe drop down. Looks slightly different but most likely has to do with changes for the better.

Ed

I just brewed my version of this recipe the other day. Stone's website currently says they use Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial. I went with all Centennial, cause that's what I have. I don't care if it's an exact clone, I just wanted something in the ballpark. I can't wait to try it.

I just brewed this as well this past Saturday. I followed the recipe almost exactly except I'm going to dry hop with 2oz of centennial rather than 1. Seems to have turned out well and I'm excited to try some fermentation samples.

I've been drinking this for a couple of weeks. I brewed it with all Centennial, so it's def different. It came out very nice though, tons of grapefruit aroma/flavor. I picked up a bottle of the real deal to compare. Mine is a half shade darker. Stone has more hop aroma than mine. From the Stone, I'm getting a sweet, candy-like plum or berry flavor, and some definite honey notes. I actually like mine a little better, but next time I'll prob back off the 2 row by .5 lb, add .25 lb honey malt, and dry hop with 1.5 oz, possibly something more floral. I took pics of the comparison, I'll post them when I get them off the camera.

I finally uploaded the comparison pics.
stone_clone1.jpg

stone_clone2.jpg

I've been drinking this for a couple of weeks. I brewed it with all Centennial, so it's def different. It came out very nice though, tons of grapefruit aroma/flavor. I picked up a bottle of the real deal to compare. Mine is a half shade darker. Stone has more hop aroma than mine. From the Stone, I'm getting a sweet, candy-like plum or berry flavor, and some definite honey notes. I actually like mine a little better, but next time I'll prob back off the 2 row by .5 lb, add .25 lb honey malt, and dry hop with 1.5 oz, possibly something more floral. I took pics of the comparison, I'll post them when I get them off the camera.

I finally uploaded the comparison pics.
stone_clone1.jpg

stone_clone2.jpg

Another late reply to this -- I haven't made this yet (on my list), but was also going to make with all centennial, as I just got alot of it. Personally, I think Stone IPA (the standard stuff) is a little light in color, so I think Edworts will be better. IMHO, a good IPA needs a little something darker/more malty to hold a substantial hoppiness than what Stone does in their standard IPA, which is lighter.

So what were you thinking to get more "floral"? Cascade?

Reading this thread, it seem alot of people are concerned about substituting something different for the "bittering" (60 minute boil) addition. Does that really make much difference, as long as the same IBUs are acheived?

Also, I reading through this thread, I don't think EdWort ever answered the total IBUs some people asked. Seems like one wouldn't get to the 70+ range with the recipe. Comment?

For more floral, yeah, I was thinking of Cascades.
As for bittering, I used brewing software (qbrew in linux) to figure out how much to use. The bitterness was dead on with the authentic Stone IPA. It doesn't look like I saved the file, or at least I can't find it, so I'm not sure how much I used, or what the calculated IBU was.

Also, I think most people are only substituting the bittering additions because of what they have on hand. Bittering additions do affect the flavor a little too, so changing it up can affect the final product a little.

Due to time restraints I was able to mash this for 90 min. but only able to boil about 75 min. Do you think this will be an issue? Everything else was pretty much right on. I did lose a little temp. in the long mash.

Webie

I have never mashed or boiled longer than 60 mins each. I was very happy with the results of this batch.

On a side note, I tasted some Stone IPA again, and I think those honey-like flavors I was tasting before are probably just dextrines. To make an accurate clone, I would probably throw in some Carapils. Stone is a little too sweet IMO though, so I like this version better anyway.

It's funny but I had a stone IPA sitting around that I wanted to compare my clone to. Like Edwort when I poured it it looked dead. There was no head and it was very tubid. The hop flavor and aroma was dead. Needless to say my clone was a lot better and working off memory it seemed to be a good clone. I wish I would have had a nice beer to compare it to. Quality issues don't make me want to keep buying their beer.

OK - got my goodies in from Northern Brewer. I'll be stepping up the starter tonight.

I've seen a few different numbers on IBU targets for this - 66,77, 93, etc.

What should I be aiming for?

Thanks

AT

I bundled up and cooked this up yesterday. I hit my mash @ 152 and sparged to 7 gallons. My efficiency ended up @ 93%! This is the second beer I've hit in the 90's. Either my 5 gallon Rubbermaid and Barley Crusher are tuned just right or I need a new hydrometer.

At any rate - my harvested Pacman is chewing away with a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the blow-off. I look forward to this beer.

Cheers

AT

Back