Should I re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of 2 hearted clone back on 8-24. It was to be 1 week fermenter, then dry hop another week in primary then rack to secondary and sit for 2 weeks then bottle. I did everything up until the bottle in 2 weeks. It has been in secondary 6+ weeks now and I would like to finally bottle it. Should I re-pitch some yeast or should there still be enough alve to carb okay?

Okay I never bottled this back in October and it has been sitting in carboy ever since. Should I repitch now or is there enough yeast alive to bottle now.

I would add some yeast but I would also dry hop it again as over that amount of time you've most certainly lost all aspects of hop aroma characteristic of that beer;)

Okay I never bottled this back in October and it has been sitting in carboy ever since. Should I repitch now or is there enough yeast alive to bottle now.

there is plenty of yeast in there for carbonation, no need to re-pitch yeast. you can if you want to but if you didn't it would carb up just fine.

there is plenty of yeast in there for carbonation, no need to re-pitch yeast. you can if you want to but if you didn't it would carb up just fine.

...I would also dry hop it again as over that amount of time you've most certainly lost all aspects of hop aroma characteristic of that beer;)

I second both of these replies.

I stopped at the LHS last night and he recommended a finger pinch or no more than 1/8 teaspoon of champainge yeast a couple hours before I bottle. Should I do that just to be sure?

It is cheap insurance if you are worried, and it sounds like you are. It won't hurt a thing to add it, even if it isn't necessary.

Back