Amarillo/Cascade Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leubega

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster after being a long time lurker. I'm sitting with a ton of amarillo and cascade hops sitting around my freezer and looking for something wheat-based with that hoppy goodness just in time for summer. I've knocked out a few different extract and all-grain recipes but finally looking to throw something together on my own. Any input would definitely be appreciated for a rookie!

Batch Size:5 Gallons
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.013
IBUs: 60.3
SRM: 8.3

GRAIN BILL:
6# White Wheat Malt
5# Pale 2-Row (US)
1# Caramel Wheat Malt

HOP ADDITIONS:
.5 oz Summit FWA
.5 oz Amarillo (30 min)
.5 oz Amarillo (20 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (15 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo (5 min)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss

YEAST:
White Labs WLP001

DRY HOP:
1 oz Amarillo for 6 days
1 oz Cascade for 6 days

This is all gonna be done BIAB style with a bit of batch sparging. I've enjoyed decent efficiency so far. Was shooting for a semi-white ipa but I felt like it was too light without the caramel wheat

I've been thinking about brewing up a wheat beer myself. I love Lil Sumpin Sumpin, so I'm looking to brew the Can You Brew It clone here. I'm no expert and can't give you any direct insight, but maybe it will help to compare the recipes. If you haven't had Sumpin Sumpin (and I hope you have, it's one of my favorites) it's a very hoppy wheat ale. I don't know if I would call it a white IPA though without belgian yeast. I'm excited to hear how yours turns out!

Definitely had the Sumpin' Sumpin', an excellent beer. I actually loved the Sumpin' Wild too but I was looking for a cleaner yeast for this batch that would be little more hop forward. I kinda just took a shot at the 001 thinking it would be a solid guess. Looks like I'll be picking up the grain today after I transfer a lemon lime hefe for bottling. Thanks guys!

Recipe looks good! I just bottled an all Centennial Pale Wheat with a similar grain bill. I used wlp320 which is pretty much a clean, low flocculation, yeast.
It is one of my best beers yet and will be perfect for some warm spring days that are supposedly coming :)

I did a 15 min. 40ibu cascade hopped ale that was awesome. I used munich to give a nice toasty caramel flavor. Dry hopped with centennial. I love the nice balance this thing delivers. The great malty hoppy balance. Amarillo is amazing though so I need to try this!

Finally got aroundto brewing this one but something last minute had me switch the grist a little. Finally ended up hitting it with
7# pale 2 row
5# White Wheat
1# Caramel Wheat

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012

Also switched to the White Labs Super San Diego on a whim so I could give it a shot. The hop schedule stayed the same and I finally cracked open the first bottle after one week conditioning. A little sweet but the hop flavor is fantastic (could use a tad more bittering). Looking forward to a little more time in the bottle

ForumRunner_20130607_183528.jpg

Back