Calling Bergen County Home Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of difficulty finding active homebrew clubs in northern NJ, and we desperately need one. I've spoken to a few other Bergen county peeps and everyone has the same complaint--we're always pointed towards clubs that are too far away to make weekday meetings.

So what should we do about this? I'm thinking that we should just start a group centered around Paramus. Thoughts? Feelings? I know we don't have a LHBS close either, but we should be able to find a place that would let us meet up.

How's about an organizational meeting over pints at Andy's Corner? Who's in?

Id be interested in joining - we could also hold meetings at Mahwah Bar & Grill as well. Much smaller beer selection but good wings :)

@njwineandbeer

Awesome! So that's three, and that makes a quorum. Anyone want to propose a date and time? I am full-up busy through next Wednesday, but other than that I am good. For location, the only hiccup I have is a city commute that can run late. Is there a location that is central to all of us? What about three wise monks?

Cheers!
-blake

I'd be in. Live in Westwood, so most anywhere in bergen county is good with me. Might be able to talk in another one or two guys i know.

Wow more people! This going to be fun. Nope, no definite plans have been made. I was kind of waiting a bit to see where everyone was so we could pick a convenient place. Looks like we have a geographic stretch from Ramsey to Hoboken. The only places I know of that are near the center of everyone so far are Three Wise Monks (Garfield) and the Twisted Elm (Elmwood Park).

I would vote that we kick this off easy with a trip to Andy's and order in some food or pick up locally. Once we get a group together, we can start working our way around to the rest of the pubs in the area. How's that sound? Anyone want to propose a date?

I'm free most evenings, but wake up early for work during the week, so i'd prefer a friday night or weekend day/night. If that's no good, i'm still gonna show up on a weekday, i'll just be tired at work the next day.

I am in as well. Live in Paramus and have been heading over to Cricket Hill Brewery in Freehold once in a awhile as they have a homebrew club that meets there. Happy to be somewhat closer to home.

I am new to Homebrewing but live in Hasbrouck Heights. Would be interested in mtg up sometime, my schedule varies so I'll just keep an eye on this thread for info. Thanks!

This gets better and better! I am gonna throw out a proposal of Saturday, feb 9, 3pm at Andy's corner bar. Let's keep the first one easy and just get together for a pint, talk about beer and how we want to proceed.

I have a feeling once we have a first meeting we will find the motivation to make a regular thing of it. Who's in?

-blake

This gets better and better! I am gonna throw out a proposal of Saturday, feb 9, 3pm at Andy's corner bar. Let's keep the first one easy and just get together for a pint, talk about beer and how we want to proceed.

I have a feeling once we have a first meeting we will find the motivation to make a regular thing of it. Who's in?

-blake

I'm in! :rockin:

I'm In Passaic County In Wanaque. Andy's is only half hour away which isn't as bad. I'd be interested. Perhaps I'll be there.

Probably best to postpone. I might be done digging out, but don't feel like dealing with drivers who think they can drive in the snow

That's a really good point.... the Blizzard warning was just extended another few hours until after noon tomorrow anyways.

so, we'll be postponing the official start by a week :)

Just a little reminder..... The official time is 3pm, tomorrow feb 16 @ Andy's corner bar (257 Queen Anne road in Bogota). Give a little homebrewtalk shout out when you get there so we'll know who you are. See you all there!!

Just found this site. Love to join. In Az this weekend, but live in Garfield. Been brewing mini for 1 year, just brewed 2nd 5 gallon batch, Irish Stout.

Excellent meeting! Connected with some great brewers over a few great beers (although that stone 16-year was suspect). We'll make a regular meeting of it for sure. For those of you who were there, be on the lookout for an email with all the contact info.

For everyone, stay tuned to this thread for info in the next meetup in March!

Cheers!
-Blake

Shall we start planning the next one? We didn't have a home-brew tasting at the first one, but I agree with Johnny that we should make that a priority for the next meet.

Anyone want to throw out some dates?

What about march 16?

I don't know about bringing homebrew to Andy's is cool or not. I don't go there enough to ask, but I do like the idea of a tasting.

National homebrew day is Saturday may 4th. Might be fun to try and schedule a group brew day for then.

I won't be around on the 16th or on the following weekend, but please don't schedule around me if either of those dates work for everyone else. At our last meeting I totally blanked on an upcoming vacation :). I can always catch up with one or more of you after the fact.

I pretty sure that a may 4 group brew would be awesome.. Would give me some motivation to get my new system completed!

Sorry I haven't been on here for a few days. The May 4th brew days sounds awesome, I'm in. As far as a tasting, I'm usually around on the weekends and we can use my place as a spot for a tasting if you guys are up for it. Let me know if you guys want to make it March 9th so we can include Blake.

I'm gonna be in charleston the weekend of the 9th for a wedding, but like blake mentioned. Don't plan around me. I will be around after that though. Nothing on the radar for the end of march/beginning of april.

For the group brew day i'd be willing to offer up my place for that. i can fire up the smoker in the morning so we can have ribs or something during the brew. Maybe come up with a group recipe and all brew the same thing (i know the AHA publishes a recipe for that day) and then bring our 5 gallons home, ferment and taste everyones at a later date? Just throwing out ideas.

I like the idea of brewing the same thing and then doing a group tasting! I'm looking forward to that!

I'm around whenever for a tasting, as long as I still have some beer on tap! I hope some others chime in so we can see when they are available too.

On a side note, I have a vial of WLP 830 German Lager Yeast..Best before 4/5/13...if anyone wants this I'll be willing to trade it for homebrew or at least taste some of the brew you make with it. Let me know because I am not going to be using it.

I got sick so I couldn't make the meet last time. Don't plan on being sick next month so I should be able to make it. I'm free most weekends.

I sooooo wish I was set up for lagers.... Listened to a brewing network podcast today about turbo dog tha got me thinking more about german yeasts.

I'd be down for a tasting on the 9th. I have two, maybe three things that are drinking pretty well.

As for a group brew, let's totally do it! What kind of recipe are we thinking?

I am pretty sure that the aha puts out a style and a few recipes for "big brew day". Last year was brown ales. Riffing off that might be an idea as long as the style doesn't suck. I wouldn't mind doing something with a quick turn around to get the pipeline going.

Another option is to pick a style and use/adapt a recipe from brewing classic styles or something like that.

One style I'd like to brew that I've never done before is a Berliner Weiss.

I am new at this . Just brewed first 5 gallons , of Brown ale, have an Irish Stout bottled, now brewing an Irish Red.
Not sure if available the 16th, but would like to stop in wherever you folks decide to meet.

I have a berliner Weiss on my list for this year, but I haven't decided between doing a true sour mash, going with a lacto addition, or adding acidulated malt. If we went with something like that, we could try one or two different techniques to compare..... Even if we do a different style in May, I'd be up for a berliner Weiss experiment any time.

Heya ruhls! Whereabouts in Bergen county are you?

Back