Water Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamns7

Reaction score
Homebrew Masters!

My gf bought me the Northern Brewers home starter kit about a week ago. I am hooked already and seems like I did a good job. I made the pale ale NB kit but have a question...

NB did not specify what the water temp should be when pouring and mixing the wort with regular water to get to the 5g mark? Does it matter? My tap water was pretty chilly (probably around 50F) and I cooled the wort too around 100F before mixing it with the tap water.

I have since purchased a thermometer and something to attach to my fermenter so that to know the temp when this mix occurs again.

Finally, it is fermenting in a nice quiet, dark, room temperature closet in my apt. It is bubbling and seems to be on its way! Just wanted to know thoughts and experiences with this step by some more experienced people!

Thanks! 🍻

Homebrew Masters!

My gf bought me the Northern Brewers home starter kit about a week ago. I am hooked already and seems like I did a good job. I made the pale ale NB kit but have a question...

NB did not specify what the water temp should be when pouring and mixing the wort with regular water to get to the 5g mark? Does it matter? My tap water was pretty chilly (probably around 50F) and I cooled the wort too around 100F before mixing it with the tap water.

I have since purchased a thermometer and something to attach to my fermenter so that to know the temp when this mix occurs again.

Finally, it is fermenting in a nice quiet, dark, room temperature closet in my apt. It is bubbling and seems to be on its way! Just wanted to know thoughts and experiences with this step by some more experienced people!

Thanks! 🍻

Water temperature doesn't matter- what matters is getting the wort to under 70 degrees when adding the yeast, so if you use cold water that can really help you get to the mid 60s before pitching the yeast. So I'd highly recommend doing that!

Yooper is right.

When I did partial boils that required top off water I would put a couple of gallons in the freezer when I started. That way I could cool to 80 and pour the cool water in to get it down to .mid 60's real fast. Worked great.

Water temperature doesn't matter- what matters is getting the wort to under 70 degrees when adding the yeast, so if you use cold water that can really help you get to the mid 60s before pitching the yeast. So I'd highly recommend doing that!

Here in Hawai`i my tap water is about 78* I've never gotten my wort down below 70* before pitching my dry yeast which by the way I never re-hydrate.

I can add blocks of ice and using a water bath to cool the wort ( 1.75 g) I can get it down to the low 70s. Haven't had a bad batch in two years other than an infection here and there.

Not saying your advice is wrong. Just tossing in my 2 cents. :mug:

I use coldest water possible when topping off to help cool wort quickly...no real reason beside that

I have a questions about Tamn's questions...

I was under the impression you needed to boil the water that you're adding to a partial boil so it is sanitized. Is that correct? Or can you take water straight from the tap and mix it into the wort? Thanks.

Here in Hawai`i my tap water is about 78* I've never gotten my wort down below 70* before pitching my dry yeast which by the way I never re-hydrate.

I can add blocks of ice and using a water bath to cool the wort ( 1.75 g) I can get it down to the low 70s. Haven't had a bad batch in two years other than an infection here and there.

Not saying your advice is wrong. Just tossing in my 2 cents. :mug:

Well, it's just a thought- but maybe the beer would be even better if you did ferment at 65 degrees. It might be "not bad" if pitched too warm- but it might be "excellent" if fermented and pitched at a better temperature. I realize that we have to work with what we have, though. I happen to live in a cold climate with 42 degree tap water!

I was under the impression you needed to boil the water that you're adding to a partial boil so it is sanitized. Is that correct? Or can you take water straight from the tap and mix it into the wort? Thanks.

Well, I never boil my tap water, and I even drink it. So I consider my tap water sanitary.

Some people have chlorine or chloramines in their water supply, some have other issues I guess, so it really depends on your water!

Thanks for the help Yooper. I guess I was doing too much reading about sanitation. I'll give tap water a shot next time.

Brewers recommend using boiled, cooled water as top water to avoid infection. however, most tap water in the US is sufficiently clean that you can simply add it as top water without boiling and cooling. I've done this for almost every one of my brews, and never had a problem.

Back