Where to get started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am new to lambic, so new I don't even know where to start. I can brew ales and I got time. I want make my first sour, so where do I start?

If what I have read is correct, then all I need to do is brew a blond ale, pitch ale yeast then after a week or so pitch a lambic pack that has Brett in it (like the one Wyeast has) and let it sit for a year. Then prime it like an ale when bottling.

Is this correct? Is there lambic for dummies guide I need to read?

Thanks in advance!

That's about it. Might want to select a primary yeast that doesn't attenuate really high to leave food for the bugs. Rosalare blend (and other blends) usually contain a sacc strain, so you could just straight pitch that and be done.

If you are mashing, mash high to leave food for the bugs.

Keep IBUs low; somewhere in the region of 10

Just follow some of the threads here and you will pick up a lot of information.

I like Jim Liddil's "Cult of the Biohazard" page here. Also, there's Tom Gierman's "Anarchist's p-Lambic on the same site.

As Calder says, you can make it really simple or as complex as you want. You can add maltodextrine down the road to feed the bugs, and bottle dregs from your favorite Lambics can be a great help. If you have fermenters you can sacrifice for a year or two, be sure to make two!

Back