Milky haze in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
I've tried to keep a steady warm temp in the bedroom and closet area to help on the long ferment of a cranberry ale, but the wife has turned the heater off at times. Is the haze natural to those re-fermenting beer with fruit? Is it safe?

milky haze.jpg

I really want to do a cranberry ale! I am posting so I can stay tuned in on your results. Keep us posted please. BTW I like your beer fridge.

I did sanitize the carboy before secondary fermenting. I'll give it another month before bottling.

Was the fruit pasteurized prior to pitching? It is very possible you have some wild yeast which lives on the fruit continuing to ferment in the beer. If that's the case, give it a year or two and you will probably have something really special.

I only washed the fruit under the hot side of the kitchen faucet. It wasn't hot enough to kill anything though.

Fj3fury said:
I only washed the fruit under the hot side of the kitchen faucet. It wasn't hot enough to kill anything though.

Ooooo you need to have them around 180 or more for 15-20 minutes. Soke people throw away the boiled liquid while others dump it into the fermenter with the fruit.

Do you folks the beers is ok to drink or is it contaminated so bad that i shouldn't even try it?

Looks like you've got some sort of bug working, in my opinion. Ride it out for a year or two, could be the best thing you'll ever brew. I love sours.

Wild yeast isn't the same as an infection. That's what did the job till microscopes came along & folks figured it all out. but you'll have to keep an eye out for infection too. And pasteurization happens at 160-170F.

Latest posts

Back