trub is useful.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenate

Reaction score
I use to have a.lack of confidence in trub. I often saved some from good batches with the intention of using it in my next beer. I always chickened out though. After 5 hours of brewing my ale, I wasn't about to gamble on its success. Don't get me wrong, I understand the yeast are in there and lots of yummy yeast nutrients aswell. I guess that's the difference between knowing something and doing it.
Well I did it 2 weeks ago, and it worked awesome!
The beer is tasty and its not even carbonated yet!
It. Went from 12 brix to 5.2 in 12 days.
I didn't mind using it on this batch because it wasn't a " recipe" it was a creation of my own. I am a young brewer ( since January 2011) . On my second trip to the closest LHBS to me I bought 4lbs of marris otter and 1 lb of biscuit and some UK first gold I believe.
I mashed it at 150 but lost 10 degrees over the hour. I mashed out with 200° F water.
I collected a little over 3 gallons of wort to boil.
once cooled and in my fermenter I added 1 cup of trub that I had brought up to room temp previously. This trub was from a month ago. My buddy saw me put in the cup full of what looked like vomit and feces mixed together into what he will some day be drinking with me. Lol. I assureds him that will drop out of the beer before we drink it. Lol

ForumRunner_20110626_060440.jpg

I realize my temps were not optimal. It was a chilly day and I had too boil the water so it would be around 170F by he time it got poured in to the tun.
Thats why I said 200F,but the true temp is unknown.
All I Know now is that the beer is carbed and tastes great!

I've done the same, but also poured directly onto a yeast cake using the same fermentor and everything. I've also saved trub/yeast in mason jars without washing it, and then direct pitched into a batch or used it to make a starter months later.

You yeast will work for you and you don't have to spend an hour using Mr. Malty to get good beer. If that's your thing, I'm not knocking it, but there's a lot more room to RELAX in RDWHAHB than a lot of people believe.

eastoak said:
you are lucky.

I think a good part of this batch's success came from the trub itself. The trub came from a cream ale I had brewed before. The flavor and aroma was brought over with the trub. It blended well.

I usally save my used yeast for the second runnings of my partigyle batches, and try to use it for a darker beer than it came from. Been working great so far. keep up the good fight, I think its a lot harder to screw up your beer than most people let on.

Back