Ok so this could be a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as you use a temp controller you should not freeze the beer. You cannot just run the freezer on the lowest(highest?) setting it will still bring the temps down below freezing....

What temp do you plan to run it at?

I serve beer at 40 degrees. Colder than that and you loose a lot of flavor.

Most freezers will need an external temp control, like a Johnson Controls switched outlet controller.

Are you using an external controller? If not you probably won't be able to keep beer in a freezer.

Are you using an external controller? If not you probably won't be able to keep beer in a freezer.
There are bars that sell beer so cold it hurts to drink - way below freezing. But it's usually crap beer. Ales should be served around 40-50degrees.

Just search Johnson Controls, unless you want to get fancy with a Love controller. The Love will require more than a cursury knowledge of electrical systems and takes some fab for install.

So just so im clear with the ebay controller you plug the fridge into one outlet and you can plug a heater into the other?

There are bars that sell beer so cold it hurts to drink - way below freezing. But it's usually crap beer. Ales should be served around 40-50degrees.

Agreed, but any beer will freeze at, say, 20°F at the absolute lowest. No freezer will run above that as-is.

So just so im clear with the ebay controller you plug the fridge into one outlet and you can plug a heater into the other?

Correct

But for your case, I doubt you need to use any heater. I use one of those to control a fermentation fridge in my garage. Depending on what time of the year it is, I might need to cool my fermenters or I might need to warm them up.

If you are just controlling a keezer, then you would only need to utilize the cooling side.

It's still the best deal out there, even it you don't really need to use the heating side.

+1 on the ebay controller, cheap, easy, works and looks great

I built one and I didn't wire up the heating side, I plan on using the 2nd socket to power a PC fan rigged to a cell phone charger. So when the controller kicks on the freezer it will turn on the fan as well to better circulate the cool air.

+1 on the ebay controller, cheap, easy, works and looks great

I built one and I didn't wire up the heating side, I plan on using the 2nd socket to power a PC fan rigged to a cell phone charger. So when the controller kicks on the freezer it will turn on the fan as well to better circulate the cool air.

I did this same sort of thing, but on the heat side. My fridge already has a fan in it that blows the cold air around when the compressor is running, but I had nothing to do this for heat.

I basically just plugged a 2-way splitter like this into the heat side of my controller:

ash-3-outlet-grounding-recepta.jpg

40W light bulb plugged into one receptacle and old phone charger wired to a PC fan connected to another receptacle.

I put a bid on this unit on ebay
$(KGrHqIOKjoE1rg(gI22BNemwSZNlQ~~_12.JPG

I figured since it was only 20bucks it would work. If anyone has experience with that would be great.

For $20, that's a great deal. I think those costs $80 or so if you buy them new.

My gut tells me that the $20 bid isn't going to hold, but good luck with the bidding!

Sweet thats good to here. Its still got four days till it finishes so i betting with that it wont hold. If it doesn't then i will be ging the homemade route.

I use a Ranco on one of my fridges and it works great. Never had a freeze issue in the 5 years ive been running it. I do recommend putting a dampness absorber of some kind though.

Oh so its the same idea as when my mom puts baking soda in her fridge. Got it. Thanks for all the help guys. Any other things i should look out for

If you are a ******* like me, make sure you don't leave the temp probe on the outside and shut the top. I luckily just had a keg of Apfelwein in. Frozen solid. Tastes pretty good after thawing. So no harm.

altenmuenster said:
If you are a ******* like me, make sure you don't leave the temp probe on the outside and shut the top. I luckily just had a keg of Apfelwein in. Frozen solid. Tastes pretty good after thawing. So no harm.

Noted. Maybe I port a small hole for the probe that way I don't do that. Thanks.

Ok Someone explain to me the reason people build a top for the keezers? Im confused on what the point is?

to add additional height so kegs can be placed on the compressor hump. Also to allow for taps to be added and any other hole that may risk hitting a coolant line

Latest posts

Back