How cold is too cold for California lager 2112?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorJerseyHomebro

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm planning on making a lager for the first time ever. I got a huge amount of yeast saved from my last yeast cake of California Lager yeast and want to try fermenting it in my basement which is currently 52F. I read on Wyeast website that this is too cold and with brewing a lighter lager (which will be generously hopped with mt hood) would I be risking off flavors, even with a ginormous amount of yeast?

Thanks!
Matt

My guess, and that's all it is, a guess, is that you'll be ok using it at an ambient temperature of 52F since the active fermentation will warm it up a few degrees and get you very close to the lowest recommended temp of 58F.

Don't know that you would get off flavors. It may be an issue of a sluggish fermentation. If it doesn't work at 52 would you be able to move it somewhere that is about 60? If you want to do a true German style lager you might need to source some other yeast.

It's either 52 in the basement or 68 in my living room, my bedroom is between 58-65 but it fluctuates a lot more than either the living room or basement getting colder at night and warmer during the day. I don't think I'm going for a true german style lager, because I am planning on more late hop additions, but I do want a clean finish and no off yeastyness.

Start the beer in your living room, once the active fermentation is noticed, move to the basement. It will come out fine.

Latest posts

Back