grain weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
How much does a cup of cracked grain weigh approximately? Any ideas?

hold on there a4j. There is weight and then volume (hence fluid ounces) i assume this is what you were getting at. A cup of poo weighs more then a cup of water. Especially if you eat lots of corn. so evandam do yourself a favor buy a scale or do some further research on this site.

hold on there a4j. There is weight and then volume (hence fluid ounces) i assume this is what you were getting at. A cup of poo weighs more then a cup of water. Especially if you eat lots of corn. so evandam do yourself a favor buy a scale or do some further research on this site.

yeah, well more in depth then i'd care to type, but that is a very vague question. But a scale would be your best bet since the volume of crushed grain will vary, especially when the volume increases.

18.5 lbs of crushed grain fits into a 5 gallon bucket. I don't know how that helps, but I found that out by crushing 18.5 lbs of grain, and it fit exactly into a 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks for the replies. I was just wanting to know to run a partial mash recipe in promash, but the ebrew kit has the grains listed in cups, and I was not sure how much it weighed. I'll go with the third of a pound, since that was about what I figured. Gotta get a good scale soon.

LMFAO, thats like saying 1cup of lead weighs 8 ounces.

I understand as I'm sure everyone else here does (Well most of us) that a cup of mercury would weigh more than a cup of feathers. I was just looking for a estimate.

Well, in fairness, he's not asking "how much does a cup of STUFF weigh?"

All I do know for sure is that 5 pounds of whole unmilled malt fits exactly into a one gallon zip lock bag. I know that's not going to help you but maybe someone else might like to know.

I have only weighed grains once... on a fancy digital scale at work.

1 kg of whole pale malt is 1.72 liters

1 liter of the same weighs 586 grams.

Knowing this I measure out all grains by volume in a 1 liter finely graded pitcher. I find this accurate enough. I guess certain speciality grains will differ from the base grain in their volume/weight ratio but the differences will be negligible.

The hops I weigh very accurately on a digital powder/reloading scale because I had that one before I started brewing.

18.5 lbs of crushed grain fits into a 5 gallon bucket. I don't know how that helps, but I found that out by crushing 18.5 lbs of grain, and it fit exactly into a 5 gallon bucket.

I just put 21.5 lbs of crushed grain in a 5 gallon bucket last night so I challenge this statement... 21.5 was about the limit though... :)

Moisture will affect the weight of 5 gals uncrushed. The crush as well whether your squeeze a bag or push down on the bucket will affect the weight of 5 gal crushed. On more than one occasion I have weighed it out and I get 22.5 to 23.5 lbs per 5 gals I crushed. I see about 25% to 30% more volume after crushing. Which would put 5 gals crushed around 18 lbs.

This would agree with eviltog and beefeater. Imo, ohiodad and cnbudz are significantly off.

Back