Funky taste with extract, gone with all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With AE,I use DME in the boil,LME at flame out. In my partial mash beers,the grain accounts for 50% of the fermentables. I also do a partial boil of 3 gallons with biab,so I use the fresh wort for all ho additions. Then add all the DME or LME at flame out.

Swarley88 said:
If I may ask... how do you know your process was good if this was only your second batch. Your second batch isn't going to be able to match a commercial brew that the brewers for that commercial brew have been doing for years. Have some patience and soon enough you'll be making better and better brews. I'm on my fifth extract brew and I just bottled it today and it tasted great. My first couple tasted like crap. All I am saying is give it time and your form and style will prevail.

Scarley88, I appreciate the positive message. I will continue on with extract as I am a noob and have a lot to learn. I think I was just having a moment of disparity. I love this s**t and can't get enough. I sometimes forget that excitement and experience are both good but very different.

Scarley88, I appreciate the positive message. I will continue on with extract as I am a noob and have a lot to learn. I think I was just having a moment of disparity. I love this s**t and can't get enough. I sometimes forget that excitement and experience are both good but very different.

It's an extremely fun hobbie, I am a noob too so I can relate. I agree with everyone on here about the "extract twang". With every brew I am experiencing it less and less. With each time I am changing my procedure and refining it. Keep it up and experiment. Also recording exactly what you do each time will really help you out.

Back