Willa quick drain of the Mash affect my effi% ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I have a 2 tier setup so when I drain my MT I use my March to pull it from the MT into the boil kettle. I pretty much have everything wide opened when I do this and it does drain really quickly. I also do this for the batch sparge as well. Ive been getting low eff numbers so Im trying to figure out if this fast drain would affect those numbers? Should I slow it down?

The only reason I can think that it would effect it is the pump is sucking the wort so hard it is channeling the sparge water and not hitting all the grains. I open my valves completely, but let gravity do the work.

Should I just throttle it back from the MT out or should I throttle back from the MT and the Pump in?

No matter how you're sparging, efficincy can be gained by improving your lautering process. For instance, I get 70-72% efficiency consistenly from my 5 gallon batches in a cooler with a simple hose braid and a lauter rate of about .5 qt/min. I get 80-83% efficiency from my 30 gallon batches with a circular slotted manifold and a lauter rate of 1.5-2 qts per min. I batch sparge in both cases and usually brew batches with roughly the same OG. By adjusting your lauter process and flow rate around your MLT geometry, you can gain efficiency even when batch sparging.

You could try splitting your one batch sparge into two or three smaller batches. It's kind of the same concept as a triple rinse for glassware. There should be progressively less and less sugar left in the grain each batch. I did this and my efficiency jumped up ten to fifteen percent. On top of that if you stir each batch in it'll reduce the effect of the channeling of a fast draw. It also made it so I don't have to estimate the sparge volume as closely. The last batch I just drain until I get my target volume and if any sparge water is left in the tun its not a real big deal since that last batch is so diluted anyway. Just my two cents and what's worked for me.

I don't know how I missed that the OP is batch sparging. My bad. You really do have to stir like a meth head with those infusions -- I recommend a double batch sparge if you want an easy boost in efficiency.

Yooper said:
Correct. Batch sparging is about "rinsing" the sugars off of the grain by adding fresh water in one batch, and stirring like a crazy person to get the sugars into solution, and draining quickly.

So after I stir like crazy I can just open my valve and let it flow full throttle? No need to vorlauf before I start collecting?

Thanks

You still should vorlauf prior to each runoff. The stirring which is absolutely required, will usually jam some grain bits through your separation filter. It's not really critical, but it doesn't hurt either.

The process of batch sparging immerses a mass of grain that is covered with sugar into a volume of water. The process called diffusion takes over and the sugar content of the whole system becomes equalized and homogenous across the entire mixture. You drain that wort out and there is no chance for channeling.

Channeling is relevant in fly sparging and can only be fully appreciated if you can picture how fly sparging works. The entire mass of grain and mash wort starts out homogenous across the entire volume (just like batch sparging right before the runoffs). You start adding water on top and draining at the same time to slowly create a sugar gradient, lowest SG on top, highest SG on bottom. You still get diffusion, but a high sugar concentration delta is maintained. Channeling is where that lower SG water/wort on the top finds a path that is less resistant than straight down. That neat horizontal gradient gets disturbed and you leave sugar behind.

Bobby_M said:
You still should vorlauf prior to each runoff. The stirring which is absolutely required, will usually jam some grain bits through your separation filter. It's not really critical, but it doesn't hurt either.

The process of batch sparging immerses a mass of grain that is covered with sugar into a volume of water. The process called diffusion takes over and the sugar content of the whole system becomes equalized and homogenous across the entire mixture. You drain that wort out and there is no chance for channeling.

Channeling is relevant in fly sparging and can only be fully appreciated if you can picture how fly sparging works. The entire mass of grain and mash wort starts out homogenous across the entire volume (just like batch sparging right before the runoffs). You start adding water on top and draining at the same time to slowly create a sugar gradient, lowest SG on top, highest SG on bottom. You still get diffusion, but a high sugar concentration delta is maintained. Channeling is where that lower SG water/wort on the top finds a path that is less resistant than straight down. That neat horizontal gradient gets disturbed and you leave sugar behind.

Awesome thanks for the quick response.

So after I stir like crazy I can just open my valve and let it flow full throttle? No need to vorlauf before I start collecting?

Thanks

I just got done with my first AG and stirred a ton during the sparge right at 168 degrees. It worked like a charm, I hit my OG. After stirring, I let it sit for about 10 minutes to settle out a bit, and then I did vorlauf.

Back