Losing weight and inches without giving up beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14.28 miles a day, and 14.28 beers a day? Good luck. I could handle the latter, but the former would be brutal and make the latter damn near impossible.

I'm the opposite, the miles I'm not worried about. Almost 15 beers in a day would be fine too...it's the seven days in a row. It's going to be during a vacation week, with the beers spread out evenly throughout the day...mmmm...breakfast beer. I'm hoping on getting the miles done in 6 days, or 7 with very light miles on day 7, and then just let it rip for the final 15 beers:drunk:

if i wasn't a carpenter (i also do lots of nasty manual labor) i would weigh about 250. excercising helps. also, i stopped eating dinner about 3 months ago and it is working great. i eat a 200 calorie breakfast, a pretty big lunch and i drink beer when i get home at around 5 or 6. some times i have a snack while i am "experimenting with my homebrew", but usually i go to bed hungry and happy around 9 o'clock. getting up before six and being active 12 hours a day keeps my beergut to a slight bulge.

how about a "who has the best/worst beer gut thread?"

I don't strive for 6 pack abs, I already have the whole keg. :).

Seriously, I know I need to be healthier and I also know that for me to lose a few pounds I'd just need to eat a bit better and do some exercise. Finding that motivation is another thing.

I just went to Belgium for two weeks and, despite drinking consistently from 12pm - 12am almost every day and eating mussels and fries on a regular basis, I somehow lost 9 lbs.

I'm 6'2" and left the USA at 194 lbs in pretty good shape (I play soccer bi-weekly). I came back at 185 lbs. The difference - we walked everywhere.

How timely of a post, as I'm just starting to diet and exercise myself after a long respite. I'm lookin to shed some serious pounds. I've put on about 80 pounds in the last three years. Suffice to say drinking has played a roll. No drinking during the week is going to be a big part, and modest drinking on fridays. I'm just telling myself, you don't make beer by drinking it, right? eh...

As a big beer drinker and an office worker it is very hard to keep the lb off. I keep very active in the evenings with my yard and hop plants and such. Active on the weekends...taking the dogs on walks etc...but this will only maintain my current weight because I drink a solid 4-5 beers a night. If I want to lose weight I have to eat significantly less or do actual excercise...like going to the gym or hiking with a heavy pack. That is just me though. You can lose weight and still drink beer. I lost 40lbs last year and have kept it off. I am still about another 40lbs over what I should be, but I started homebrewing since and its been tough for me to drop weight and I HATE the gym and all the d-bags in there

I dropped 35 lbs since christmas, and I've not cut my drinking habits. Then again, I usually don't drink during the week. Weekends are a different story :).

What I did is cut back on what is save my calories for what I wanted. I quit going out to eat everyday for lunch at work. Also I ate a lot of salad, almost every evening before dinner. It's amazing how much less you pile on your plate if you just ate a bunch of rabbit food.

Also, I did what so many others have said and started exercising. My dog and I went from huffing and puffing our way thru a mile walk to finishing a 5K. The best part, however, was my ability to walk up 2 flights of stairs without getting winded.

Buy one of those exercise bikes. The ones with the big comfy seat and feels like you are on a recliner. Beer in hand and feet on the pedals...

"Exerbrew! The new fitness craze."

Hook that bike up to a generator, plug in a heat stick, make beer while you pedal. Bet you lose more weight than the beer would add. It's a perfect solution.

About 160 calories in a bottle of beer, if beer alone is making you fat then you have the activity of a sloth. Its not too hard to work beer into a diet and it not add pounds and inches to your waist. Truth is beer or not most people don't get moving enough week.

As a cyclist I've never thought of beer as a fattening issue.

just take 30 minutes out of your day -- everyone can find 30 minutes somewhere -- and go for a run/jog. even if you run a 10 minute mile that is still 3 miles a day, 21 miles a week. and it's only 30 minutes. so instead of watching wheel of fortune and jeopardy, go running and only watch jeopardy.

I am a baseball addict. I run almost every night right at 7, when my Rays play: I listen to the game on the radio on my head. Then, I reward myself with a great HB Rauchbier when I get back... like right now! Mmmmm.... smokey smooth...

All that matters is calorie intake versus calories burned. Theres no other way to lose weight, period. If your burning a bit less now that your older, you just have to increase or decrease one of them. It doesnt matter if you arent eating red meat, just how MUCH you are eating. Not that Im saying it doesnt help to eat healthy....but cutting out all red meat will do nothing for you. If you want to keep drinking and get leaner, theres only one thing you can do: Exercise. No fancy diet will get you around that.

I wish I had the metabolism of my uncle. He drinks 12+ beers a day, owns a restaurant and spends his whole life sitting in the kitchen with absolutely zero exercise and he's as lean as can be. Been doing it for 30+ years.

Where I on the other hand can put on a few pounds just lazing around on a long weekend with some good food and a few beers. It's not fair!

It comes down to simply watching your overall caloric intake. If you burn 2,000 calories a day, don't eat/drink more than that per day.

I found running 4 days a week and going to the gym 3 days with my current diet allows me to lose weight while still drinking beer.

+1 for DanVader

:rockin:

Exercise is the key.

Ride Fast, Drink Hard.

wallridePat.jpg

a few weeks ago.. Pre beer consumption.

I quit smoking last March. I smoked for over 24 years, starting around puberty.

From age 14 or so until my first desk job @ 25 I weighed 135lb (I'm 6'2").
Within a couple years I hit 240. Got laid off and went back to (trade) school. Lost 35 lbs. The only change was not sitting at a desk all day. Still ate out 3 meals/day and drank as much as I could afford.
I'm now back up around 250. I decided yesterday (before seeing this thread) that I wasn't going to buy bigger work pants. And I clearly need to.
Before I quit smoking, I ate very healthily. Big breakfast, 2 snack breaks during the day. Small lunch and vegetarian dinner. Weekends I had sushi at least 1 meal, and ate in most other meals.
As soon as I quit smoking, I started sleeping later, so no time for breakfast. I just grab a protein bar and juice on the way in to work. Lunch is a 6" Subway sub (on wheat, at least), 2 cookies and a medium unsweetened iced tea. Dinner turned into a Quizno's sub and cookie and medium soda or iced tea. Oh, and I raid the vending machine at work all day long.
Man. That was depressing just to type, nevermind really thinking about it.
Today, when I get home from work, I'm driving right by Quizno's to the garage, where my mtn bike has been collecting dust for 3 years. There's a large city park directly across the street from me.
Stay tuned...

got to exercise, my standing rule now is, if I don't ride the bike I don't get to drink

I like it, I need to take that into account. You can only drink if you do something active that day... NICE. Being an engineer i sit on my butt pretty much all day unless I have to walk around the office. This will be a good incentive plan. Im scared to tell my fiance because she will enforce it, haha :drunk:

Back