A word of Warning! Micromatic BOD Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I purchased two of the 6" Micromatic BOD Tap Handles and they arrived and were installed on my new Tap Faucets. One of the handles was stripped when I received it and I called Micromatic immediately. They replaced the damaged handle, but what I have found is that they strip out very easily as they are only plastic threads.

Now many may say that you need to be gentle with the handles, but you still need to secure them so they do not loosen on you as you use them. I was able to get about one kegs worth of pours from the original handle and then it went bad. I removed it to inspect the threads and it is apparent that the handle is not designed for long term usage.

I really like the handles and I am not bad mouthing the company, but they do not hold up as they should. I notified them of my situation, but have not had any response from them since.

I think they need to install a metal nut in the handle that will allow it to be secured properly without the fear of stripping.

This has been my experience with the BOD Handle. Has anyone else out there experienced any difficulty with theirs?

Salute! :mug:

PS: I realize you get what you pay for and the handles were not very pricey, but I did expect better longevity of the product.

take a good thread into your local hardware store. you w3ant the size 3/8-16 wood insert then rebore the tap hole just smaller the outer thread. heat the insert over a lighter and then force it into the tap.

take a good thread into your local hardware store. you w3ant the size 3/8-16 wood insert then rebore the tap hole just smaller the outer thread. heat the insert over a lighter and then force it into the tap.

I appreciate the info. I was already in the works to repair the damage, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up on this product. Micromatic has some good stuff available. I just think these items need some re-work in order to be quality.

Salute! :mug:

I just got three of them about 2 weeks ago. No problems yet, but they will have to be removed and reinstalled with each change of beer name so it will have to go on an off quite a bit.

I've been using the 4" BOD tap handles for over two months now and have yet to have a problem.

Back