Kegerator Build on an EXTREMELY LOW Budget - GE WRM04GAVABB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo6891

Reaction score
I know there's a million kegerator builds out there, but here's my GE WRM04GAVABB mini fridge on an EXTREMELY low budget. I'm the single income provider of a family of four, full time job, and classes at night working on my degree. I'm a very diy person, "It ain't broke until I can't fix it". So heres my build.

The fridge has been sitting out in the shed for a couple of years after it stopped working. After replacing the defrost heater and inlet valves on our main fridge, I decided to take a look at it. After a few minutes with the multimeter I found the thermostat was bad. Well after awhile searching online, the best I found was $15 (universal) on ebay before shipping. Next day I called a local small town used appliance store, and got a "good ol boy" hook up, didn't come from the same fridge, but I can make it work. After a few modifications it fit right in, and the fridge was running like a champ again.

Well I had the fridge, but I'm still lacking kegs, CO2 tank, regulator, draft tower, and everything else. After a few calls to friends and craigslist ad's, I scored a faucet, ball lock corny, and 15lb (FOR SALE) 20lb CO2 tanks. For a grand total of.... FREE (All from friends).

So time to dig around all the random stuff I have and get to work. First was the tap handle. I got the faucet first, so this was my first project. It was a scrap piece of red oak I had lying around. Free handed the outline then went at it with the jigsaw. I came back later with the dremel and router attachment to do the bottom. Used a soldering iron to slightly burn it, then used some krylon satin clear I had.
Tap Handle rough.jpg tap handle finished.jpg
I didn't have anything yet else so I looked through my junk pile and found a piece of 3" PVC and a drain, draft tower was next. A lot of sanding, several coats of high build primer, 400 grit sanding, satin black krylon and then clear. Done.
Tower with collar.jpg
Well, I can't build a shank for the tap, but I can build a collar so it will fit on my draft tower. After a failed drunken attempt the night before with the drill press and hole saw, I decided to try again the next day. I took some measurements from my buddies kegerator and found that a 3/4" PVC coupler is the perfect size. I traced the rough shape on to the elbow I had, then took the dremal with a cut off wheel to it. It was WAY of, so used the dremel once again with a small sanding pad to slowly shape it till I was happy.
collar pvc cut.jpg Collar.jpg
Since my freezer section of the fridge was the coils, I VERY carefully bent and shaped the to the back. I found I can actually fit two kegs without removing anything from the door (more room for beer!!) with the CO2 tank external.

Next random project was a draft tower cooler. I took an old spinner bait box, computer fan, switch (came with the mini fridge thermostat), a PVC coupling, and power supply I had and came up with this.

So far I'm in it for a grand total of...... $0 (kind of). SHWMO wanted to trash the fridge but I kept it around, paid around $140 four years ago. The rest of the stuff I had lying around and got from friends. I'm still lacking a shank and CO2 regulator. So more pics when it's complete.

After the regulator, shank, and hose I should be around $75 give or take. Plus what ever was spent in the past on the random parts..... But we won't count that :D

A true cheapskate doesn't need a regulator...it's technically possible just to charge the keg with 15psi or so then top it off after every couple glasses.

Not that I've been doing that for several months or anything...

Go the final placement of the tower. Also got a 2" hole drilled in the top. I have it sealed with aluminum tape now, but forgot to take a picture. Getting close.

image-2934363271.jpg

image-1034315546.jpg

Talking to a buddy that used to have a bar, I found out he had a lot of extra stuff around I could through and have what I need. Ended up with 20lb co2 tank and a dual regulator.
image-277741311.jpg

With all the big stuff out of the way, time to pick up a shank and she's ready to go.

I found with two kegs the door will need to be stripped. For now it will be just one, but I designed it to expand to two kegs with little effort.

Nice, keep posting pics of the process. And let us know how you mounted the fan, and how the PVC works as a tower.

Back