Super Hopped- Big Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
So I was making my first ipa last night, an accidentally added 2 oz of chinook, instead of 1.25 for the 60 min addition. I calculated the IBU at 80. What will this come out like? I planning on dry hopping with centennial and cascade, but is this going to be a palate wrecker?

We'd need more information. What's your OG? Better yet, give us the whole recipe with your brew day measurements so we can discuss your question. I think it's the balance of sweetness to bitterness that will show whether it's a "Palate wrecker" or just a bitter beer.

I did Yooper's Lakefront ipa clone.

Og 1.062 (actual)
Fg ( predicted 1.014)

6lb pale dme
3lbs 2 row
12 oz crystal 20
8 oz crystal 40

Mash in grains at 153 for 45 min. Sparge to volume.
Add dme at 60 and then 15 min.

1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Despite the mistake, I'd bet this will turn out alright after all. Will definitely be more bitter than perfectly balanced, but should be plenty drinkable.

Personally, I love hoppy and bitter IPA's, so it wouldn't bother me a bit.

You're probably fine. Did you do a full or partial boil? If you did a partial boil and the recipe was designed for a full boil, you may have less than the intended IBUs anyway. Not sure. At any rate, I'm sure it will be good.

freisste said:
You're probably fine. Did you do a full or partial boil? If you did a partial boil and the recipe was designed for a full boil, you may have less than the intended IBUs anyway. Not sure. At any rate, I'm sure it will be good.

5 gallon full boil. I topped off with a 1/4 gallon before pitching due to boil loss.

Not an outrageous mistake. The nice thing about Pale Ales is that the hop flavors begin to drop out after 4 weeks or so. So if its too bitter for your palette just put it aside for a few more weeks and brew some more beer.

So I was making my first ipa last night, an accidentally added 2 oz of chinook, instead of 1.25 for the 60 min addition. I calculated the IBU at 80. What will this come out like? I planning on dry hopping with centennial and cascade, but is this going to be a palate wrecker?

Based on your calculated IBU of 80 and stated OG, your IBU:GU is 1.26. On the high side, but well within the range for this style. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal taste, but I'm pretty sure I would find it enjoyable.

Update: it turned out great! Not as bitter as imagined. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Latest posts

Back