Beer gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzy

Reaction score
image-1960079961.jpg

I checked on my Russian imperial stout and saw this white residue floating on the top. Is this bad?

-Franz

I have the same thing in my RIS. Same timeframe. Planning in bottling this weekend, but not sure if its going to be OK. Sample tastes fine, but I'm leary. Any feedback on this?

They look like yeast rafts. How long has it been in the primary? If you are going to age it in the carboy I would rack it off the yeast. Use a secondary for long conditioning periods.

I believe it is the same. I tried it and it tastes amazing. I have bottled it now and it's sitting on my kegerator. That's for the reply guys

take a gravity reading and if it has dropped out like normal it is fine. looks like one of my stouts so i turned it into a sour stout. add a pack of lactobacallus and let it sit for a few months. as long as gravity dropped its a healthy strain of bacteria.

I may be wrong but that looks like an awful lot of head space for a beer in secondary for 2.5 months. If it's not infected it sure could be oxidized, I'd grab a sample and see how it tastes/smells for sure!

Smells and tastes oaky and delicious! The chops sat in brandy for about 6 months before I used them. Would that have killed off any of the potential bacteria?

The photo looked like yeast rafts. Sometimes they just do not sink. Headspace is not a real problem if you have CO2 on top of the beer and keep an airlock or seal the top.

I would have bottled as soon as the oaking stage was complete and let the beer carb and age in the bottle, but it sounds like everything is going good.

Back