My first lambic...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Absolutely delightful. Can't believe it's taken me this long to have this beer. I'm drinking Lindeman's Kriek. It is sweeter than I expected, is this common for lambics? Is a lambic considered a "sour" beer? If so, is that the tart that I taste at the end of a sip?

I simply must make this beer style.

Before getting into sour beer, I recommend reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. It was a great read with a lot of good info on the process, and the science behind sour beers. I'll be brewing my first lambic style beer this evening.

Cheers

AlmostSiR said:
Before getting into sour beer, I recommend reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. It was a great read with a lot of good info on the process, and the science behind sour beers. I'll be brewing my first lambic style beer this evening.

Cheers

Cool, I'll pick it up now on Amazon! Thanks :)

Ó Flannagáin said:
Absolutely delightful. Can't believe it's taken me this long to have this beer. I'm drinking Lindeman's Kriek. It is sweeter than I expected, is this common for lambics? Is a lambic considered a "sour" beer? If so, is that the tart that I taste at the end of a sip?
I simply must make this beer style.

Lindemans is usually a little sweeter and fruiter than most others, which is not typically to style. Lambics are typically more sour and not as sweet, try Hanssens Oude Kriek for a better 'real' kriek. My .02

Lindeman's is definately over-sweet, but it tastes so damn good. I got hooked on it by trying the Framboise. Kreik is ok, I'm just not a fan of cherries. The Pomme and Peche are both good as well.

Someone else posted this over in a framboise thread here on the board. With the exception of changing up the fruit, this should work and would be very interested to see if anyone here does it.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=29637&st=0

I've been wanting to sour mash, but I just don't have the stones to do it, as I got sick emptying out my spent grain container that had gotten moldy.

landhoney said:
Lindemans is usually a little sweeter and fruiter than most others, which is not typically to style. Lambics are typically more sour and not as sweet, try Hanssens Oude Kriek for a better 'real' kriek. My .02

Dude...:rockin:

Hanssens Kriek is the JOYNT! Cantillon makes some badassed lambics, too. That vintage-dated Lou Pepe stuff is unreal.

Hanssen's, Frank Boon, Cantillon, Girardin, Oud Beersel, Morte Subite and Drie Fonteinen are all excellent examples. I prefer straight Gueuze over the fruit lambics but as Evan! stated, the Lou Pepe Kriek and Framboise is outstanding. But if you are ever able to get your hands on Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek, you'll be laughin!

I've been huge on Gueuze lately, I think its the pinnacle of the lambic style. A good Kreik is nice now and again, but I keep coming back to the Gueuze.

Try them all and see what you think. =) I've been hitting our local highend bottle store and buying a couple new ones every week.

-D

Llarian said:
I've been huge on Gueuze lately, I think its the pinnacle of the lambic style. A good Kreik is nice now and again, but I keep coming back to the Gueuze.

Try them all and see what you think. =) I've been hitting our local highend bottle store and buying a couple new ones every week.

-D

I wish I could try them all, our beer store has nothing :(

Back