Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck!

[size=+2]Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale[/size]
[size=+1]23-A Specialty Beer[/size]

13.jpg

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 188.8 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.026 - 1.120)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (0.995 - 1.035)
|===============#================|
Color: 13.5 (1.0 - 50.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 5.58% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 24.65 (0.0 - 100.0)
|===========#====================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
3 lbs Dry Wheat
3 lbs Dry Extra Light
1 lbs Caramel Malt 60L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
4 oz Lactose
4 oz Vanilla (extract) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 ea WYeast 1007 German Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:32:59 Mash In - Liquor: 0.31 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 145.0 °F
01:43:00 Mash Out - Heat: 10.0 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:28:00 Sparge - Sparge: 5.04 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 5.23 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 5.37 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28[/size]

[size=+2]All Grain Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale[/size]
[size=+1]23-A Specialty Beer[/size]

12.jpg

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 186.97 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.056 (1.026 - 1.120)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (0.995 - 1.035)
|===============#================|
Color: 12.5 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 5.52% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 24.65 (0.0 - 100.0)

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6 lbs American 2-row
4 lbs Belgian Wheat Malt
1 lbs Caramel Malt 60L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
4 oz Lactose
4 oz Vanilla (extract) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 ea WYeast 1007 German Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

05:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 3.44 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
06:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 147.7 °F
08:10:01 Mash Out - Heat: 97.0 min; Target: 168.0 °F
08:55:01 Sparge - Sparge: 3.55 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 5.7 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 5.84 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28[/size]

joebou4860 said:
Why did you choose to mash low?

would this beer benefit from the malty sweetness from a mash at 154ish?

Honestly, I put this into Beer Tools and used the preset. I've yet to perfect this AG. Haven't made it in a while.

Hmmm unless someone posts a good reason why it would be a bad idea to make it maltier I will give it a try (mashing higher)this weekend and update with results

joebou4860 said:
Why did you choose to mash low?

would this beer benefit from the malty sweetness from a mash at 154ish?

Seems like, with a whole pound of Crystal 60, the Malty sweetness has been taken care of. But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. (Thanks to Dennis Miller.)

Im excited to say I have this ale raging away in the primary right now, and cant wait for it to be bottled and chilled. This is only my third brew, so forgive me if this is a dumb question (or it has already been covered in the previous 10000 posts on this thread!).

I have never seen a brew recipe that called for priming with DME, I have only seen corn sugar for that purpose. My question is, do the corn sugar and DME methods of priming both yield the same result?

Cauldron7 said:
Im excited to say I have this ale raging away in the primary right now, and cant wait for it to be bottled and chilled. This is only my third brew, so forgive me if this is a dumb question (or it has already been covered in the previous 10000 posts on this thread!).

I have never seen a brew recipe that called for priming with DME, I have only seen corn sugar for that purpose. My question is, do the corn sugar and DME methods of priming both yield the same result?

DME gives you thicker, more compact bubbles.

Cheesefood said:
DME gives you thicker, more compact bubbles.
+ 1
On the flipside, Corn Sugar (Dextrose) is easy to use. DME can be slow to carbonate. Evan! has some variety of DME that was did not carbonate effectively at all. (I forget which).

As a 3rd brew, you might want to go with what has worked the past.

Thanks! Ill Give it a shot with DME. Might as well dive in and learn how all this stuff works.

By the way, Im glad i went with the blow off tube on this brew, definetly would have popped the lid! The SWMBO called me at work because "there was a strange gurgling sound coming from the basement"

This is a wonderful beer. Our little home brewery has produced twenty gallons of VCCA, and its great every time.

Good luck with yours!

Gedvondur

I went to the LHBS yesterday to pick up ingredients for my 1st try of Cheeses VCCA.....

....After futher review I saw Boom-Boom Vanilla is very similar. I have all of the ingredients for both.

Any suggestions or preferrences for one or the other??

Thanks!!!
:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
I went to the LHBS yesterday to pick up ingredients for my 1st try of Cheeses VCCA.....

....After futher review I saw Boom-Boom Vanilla is very similar. I have all of the ingredients for both.

Any suggestions or preferrences for one or the other??

Thanks!!!
:mug:

First one is sweeter than the second. I made a fourth version this weekend. First is my fave to date.

Ok, so as you might know I'm new here. So I know to add the 4oz. of vanilla at the end of the boil and the yeast right before closing the fermenter, but when do I add the lactose? Is that being used as a priming sugar, so should I add it when I am moving from primary to the bottling stage? And if so, how long from adding the priming sugar should I wait until bottling so that the sugar will dissolve evenly?

Again, sorry if this was answered earlier in this topic. :confused:

PearlJamNoCode said:
Ok, so as you might know I'm new here. So I know to add the 4oz. of vanilla at the end of the boil and the yeast right before closing the fermenter, but when do I add the lactose? Is that being used as a priming sugar, so should I add it when I am moving from primary to the bottling stage? And if so, how long from adding the priming sugar should I wait until bottling so that the sugar will dissolve evenly?

Again, sorry if this was answered earlier in this topic. :confused:

You can hold off on adding the vanilla and lactose until you bottle. Lactose is not a priming sugar, so you'll still need DME.

Cheesefood said:
First one is sweeter than the second. I made a fourth version this weekend. First is my fave to date.

Thanks Cheese!

My gut was saying go with #1 but part of me wanted to do it with 1 oz of each hop like #2. The hop schedule difference is only accounts for about 2.5 IBU's. They say most people can't detect less than 5 IBU differences. I suppose extra hops will compete with the vanilla nose

I'm guessing the 2nd addition of lactose in #1 is what'll make it sweeter. The maltodextrine on #2 must not be that sweet. It must add more body than sweetness.

I've added a lb of lactose to Edworts AW and it sweetens it but not to the point where its cloying.

Number one it is!!!! :rockin:

BTW - Is this brew always cloudy? Show me some pics!!!!

Well I have decided to go ahead and brew this one. Looking for something nice to bottle for the winter. Can't decided whether to go with #1 or #2, but since #1 seems to be the most tested one, thats probably what I'll go with.

Schlenkerla said:
Thanks Cheese!

My gut was saying go with #1 but part of me wanted to do it with 1 oz of each hop like #2. The hop schedule difference is only accounts for about 2.5 IBU's. They say most people can't detect less than 5 IBU differences. I suppose extra hops will compete with the vanilla nose

I'm guessing the 2nd addition of lactose in #1 is what'll make it sweeter. The maltodextrine on #2 must not be that sweet. It must add more body than sweetness.

I've added a lb of lactose to Edworts AW and it sweetens it but not to the point where its cloying.

Number one it is!!!! :rockin:

BTW - Is this brew always cloudy? Show me some pics!!!!

It's a wheat, so it's always cloudy.

Hey Cheese, question:
I have Briess Bavarian Wheat DME from MoreBeer. Will that do for the Wheat DME?

Cheesefood said:
It's a wheat, so it's always cloudy.

I forgot about 8 grolsch bottles of this brew in teh back of my coldest fridge for about 4 months. All that cold worked miracles on this brew. Of course all the yeast and haze fell out to the most beautiful, clear, and delicious brew I have ever made. Maybe i should get over my reluctance to lager.

I sent cheese a PM, but maybe it's already been posted and I missed it..

Is there an extract version to this? I guess I'm even willing to do a partial-mash.. Dunno really much about anything since I have only read - I'm a hands on kinda guy.

El_Borracho said:

Is there an extract version to this? I guess I'm even willing to do a partial-mash.. Dunno really much about anything since I have only read - I'm a hands on kinda guy.

When you were asking about my Cream Ale, I thought you meant my Amarillo Cream ale!

Look at the first page of this thread for the extract version. Or just a couple posts up where I posted the Beer Tools output.

Another noob question from me...

I am purchasing the ingredients for this now and have the option between Briess Caramel 60L or Briess Caramel 60L crushed. What's the right one to pick?

El_Borracho said:

You can get to extract version from Cheese's post signature. Its #1 on the past winner list.

Cheesefood,

Just wanted to hop on the praise bandwagon-I brewed this and have really been enjoying it for several weeks now.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Cheese, have you seen the White Labs Cream Ale yeast? It's WLP080 and listed as "New" with Papizian's "Cry Havoc", supposedly a blend of lager and ale yeast that subdues hop flavour and contributes a slight estery note.

I'm buying a vial right now but it'll be a few weeks before I can brew and provide a review.

Im getting kinda anxious to try the all grain version of this brew. Ive got ten gallons in primary winding down right now. Cant wait to try it.

Kevin Dean said:
Cheese, have you seen the White Labs Cream Ale yeast? It's WLP080 and listed as "New" with Papizian's "Cry Havoc", supposedly a blend of lager and ale yeast that subdues hop flavour and contributes a slight estery note.

I'm buying a vial right now but it'll be a few weeks before I can brew and provide a review.

I believe that the Cream in the title refers more to the flavor and the use of lactose then it does to the Cream Ale style http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html for which the yeast is designed.

Brewing this guy as we speek and very very excited about it. This will likely be last last straight extract brew, but I figured enough people have said good things about it that it's gotta be worth a try.

I'm bottleing this this weekend. smelled great going in and comeing out of the primary.

I can't wait to brew this tomorrow morning!!! Here's my take on it, all-grain style.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.15 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.2 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 10L
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Maize, Flaked
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min)
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Mash Schedule: 1-step, 3.25 gal, 156 deg target, 75 minute
Batch sparge, 1 batch, 5.25 gal, 170 deg

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (75 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (15.0 min)
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (15.0 min)
2.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (5.0 min)
2.0 oz "Real Bourbon Vanilla Extract"
1.0 oz "Real Bourbon Vanilla" at Bottling
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast-Ale

Unless others have suggestions to the contrary, I plan to follow the usual 1-2-3 fermentation schedule, so I'll report back in like 6 weeks? :)

:fro:

Back