S-33 or WB-06 for dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a dunkelweizen tomorrow or sunday, and i've got two yeasts I can use. I've got Safbrew S-33 and Safale wb-06. They seem kinda similar. I'm not crazy about huge amounts of esters, but some would be good, and it seems like i'll get that from both of these choices. This will be fermented in a basement that is currently holding 64 degrees, so i'd guess my fermentation temp will probably be in the 68 degree range. I've got a little control over it, i can wrap it in blankets to get a few more degrees, or put it directly on the cement floor to keep it closer to 64 degrees. Any and all help appreciated. Whoever makes the best argument for the yeast by pitching time tomorrow wins :)

I have the S33 but have not used it, so I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. Just started drinking a dunkelweizen made with Wyeast 3068. Keeping it cooler kept the esters down, it is mild and delicious. Good luck.

I used WB-06 on a Dunkelweizen and hated it. Clovey, but in a weird way. For German Wheat Beer's, go liquid yeast.

Definitely not S-33 either - it's probably my least favorite dry yeast.

I agree with ghpeel - WLP 300, 351 or 380 is the only way to go (or their Wyeast equivalents) if you want a German Weizen.

I respectfully disagree with the opinion of having to use a liquid for hefeweizen. I used wb06 last fall and while it wasn't the best hefeweizen it was decent in regards to typical tastes. And on tap now I have a beer that I used s33 and while not intending it to be a " hefeweizen" tasting beer on first sip me and a buddy were surprised on just how hefeweizen like it was. I love hefeweizens, and while true for best hefeweizen like tastes you can't go wrong with a liquid culture, the dry yeasts do a good job. To the OP I would say either yeast, one or the other would be good with the slight edge given to the wb06.

I've used wb06 an have had great results. I've fermented at both upper 70s and low to mid 60s and could not taste a difference. They were the same beer despite the huge temperature difference, an all around delicious hefe.

I ended up going with the wb-06. I am keeping it around 64 degrees, and i'll update with how it comes out. I'm not huge into the hefe's where the clove and banana are punch you in the face powerful. I'd like them to be a little more restrained, so hopefully with some of the flavors that come from the darker malts in a dunkelweizen along with the wb-o6 i'll get that. Who knows, at worst it will still be beer.

gregkeller said:
I ended up going with the wb-06. I am keeping it around 64 degrees, and i'll update with how it comes out. I'm not huge into the hefe's where the clove and banana are punch you in the face powerful. I'd like them to be a little more restrained, so hopefully with some of the flavors that come from the darker malts in a dunkelweizen along with the wb-o6 i'll get that. Who knows, at worst it will still be beer.

So how did this turn out, oddly enough I seem to following in your footprints here. Pitched the same yeast, at the same temp on the same kind of beer.

I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks!

I think it turned out close to style. I just realized that I don't love the style. I got a little more of the clove flavor than I did banana if I remember correctly.

Back