A Group Leap-Year Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outstretched

Reaction score
I saw a post in the Mead forum about doing a February 29th session and then keeping it until the next February 29th. I think this could be interesting as a group to do a specialty cider and then depending on who is still around compare notes on how theirs turned out in 4 years.

I'd like to do something off the wall and experimental and not a generic juice from apples, sugar (needing to be 10%+ for storage) and yeast concoction. Something with a flavor that isn't common as a leap year only happens every 4 years.

This is the Chinese year of the Dragon so maybe something with a little fire or heat?

Just kind of throwing it out there as I think it'd be a cool idea and we have about a month to figure out a recipe.

Well, I'm getting ready to start a 1 gallon ginger cider tomorrow, but I'm not waiting 4 years to try it!

I have been thinking that I'd like to try a Guanabana Cider...but there's no fire in it.

there's not a lot of interesting fruit ripe that time of year in these parts... maybe a rainwater and depression cyser??

This is the Chinese year of the Dragon so maybe something with a little fire or heat?
Perhaps Dragon Fruit?

250px-Pitaya_cross_section_ed2.jpg

It may be difficult to make a cider that will age well for four years.

Something high alcohol will probably last, but it may lose its apple flavor.

I'm thinking of making a Carmel Cider by boiling 1 gallon down to a carmelized syrup then adding 1 gallon of cider to bring it back up to volume.

Not sure the aging potential of that though.

Dragon fruit would be kind of cool, but very hard to find (at least in my part of the world) and I am guessing expensive to get enough to flavor properly as my experience is limited as well...

I was thinking more of a spiced / spicy recipe as fresh fruit is hard to get here as well.

Latest posts

Back