IPA Brewing Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suckmyhops

Reaction score
Hey I am still kind of starting out as a homebrewer with a decent amount knowledge, BUT i've been reading a lot of info on splitting up the additions of the malts to the wort for better hop utilization. Im using some grains, LME, DME and brown sugar. Any recommendations on splitting up the malt additions to maintain a lighter color IPA? I have four hop additions at 75, 45, 20 and 5mins.

Welcome to HBT!!! I usually added 20-33% of my extract for the start of the boil, and the rest at 10-15 minutes. Do a search for "late extract addition" or something like that, you'll find ways to do it, and other information.

Also, I would get rid of your 45 minute addition. I'd put them into the 75 minutes, and put the rest at 15, 10, 5, and flameout (or something like that). You'll only be getting the bitterness from the 45, just as you would from the 75. By having late hop additions (and lots of them) you'll get lots and lots of hop flavor and aroma (which I'm guessing you'll want from and IPA).

I made an IPA for my 2nd homebrew, and I put 5.5 lb DME at the beginning of the boil and 3.3 lb LME at 5 minutes the "knockout" stage. It's Palmer's method, so I'm guessing it's pretty good.

The recipe I used had them at 60, 45, 15, and 5. Though now that I've read a little more on these forums, I'd probably switch the 15m to a 5m and the 5m to a 1m. Or just ad a 1m to the whole shebang.

Back