Curling- anyone play?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, for the last few years I have been kind of wanting to get into Curling. The Olympics have somewhat revived my interest and I think I might go to an open house in the fall. I am a little hesitant to go to one of the "Drop in" nights coming up due to the fact that there will be a ton of people there because of the olympics. I only live about 15 minutes from the National Capital Curling Center so its pretty damn convenient. So, does anyone play? Is it pretty easy to learn? Whats the atmosphere like? I was looking at some pictures on the center's site and I did notice beer in a number of the pictures and it even looks like there might be a bowling alley style bar in the Curling Center. It looks like it could be a pretty good time. So, anyone have any experience with Curling?

And if anyone in the DC area is interested, www.curldc.org

Hope you have fun. But to be honest....I'm trying to get my head around the concept of a 'National Capital Curling Center'.

Wife and I played the past two seasons before the recession and child took away the money that we would have spent this year.
Definitely give it a try if you are interested. It's by far one of the most hilarious things that I've ever signed up for. It's a fun game and drinking is part of the whole experience. Out here you are required to have 2 drinks after each match. Winner buys the first round, loser buys the second.

Sweet, thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It does look pretty pricey to be a full member of this club. $240 for the spring season. I am not sure if that included the fall season or not, but you do have full access to the facility, so I guess its really not that bad.

Sorry for coming to this discussion late, but I have to encourage you to give it a try. Curling rocks...as the tag line says.

I've been curling for about 9 years. To go from beginner to novice takes most people about 3 to 5 games. To go from novice to "expert" takes years, if you ever get there. Think of the game as a combination of shuffleboard and chess with a lot of exercise thrown in. Yes, exercise. The sweepers will travel over a mile a game...sprinting sideways...on the slipperiest ice achievable...while wearing a piece of plastic on one foot...while trying to sweep in front of a 42 pound stone.

Yes, drinking BEvERages is a very large part of the culture. The World Curling Federation rules used to require it after every game. Just to emphasize this, I belong to the Madison Curling Club. Our annual dues to the club cover all league fees and unlimited access to the soda fountain and the 4 beer taps. If you want popcorn, that costs an extra quarter.

Further proof is that a sizable portion of the Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild are also curlers. Enough that every spring we have a Bonspiel (tournament) for men of the club. Nearly all the beer consumed is homebrew and most of the rest is experimental batches donated by local breweries who are looking for an honest opinion of the taste.

Anyone interested can find info on U.S. curling at http://www.curlingrocks.net/ and world curling at http://www.worldcurling.org

I had a suspicion that drinking was an integral part of the sport.

I wonder if the Olympians conceal flasks in their socks?

The Olympics have somewhat revived my interest and I think I might go to an open house in the fall. I am a little hesitant to go to one of the "Drop in" nights coming up due to the fact that there will be a ton of people there because of the olympics.

Wait. You are hesitant to go because there may be other people like YOU there? :fro:

Go for it. Go for everything life has to offer.

I had a suspicion that drinking was an integral part of the sport.

I wonder if the Olympians conceal flasks in their socks?

Yeah, if you've been following the olympics, they just made the skip (top guy) sit out against France because he hasn't been playing up to par. Rumor 1 is that he's been drinking too much and can't concentrate. Rumor 2 is that he hasn't been drinking enough and isn't used to playing sober.

So how do you find a place to play around you? I looked on USAcurl and the world site but with no luck. Google maps returned some stuff but of little help. I hate bowling but I think something like this would be fun to play with friends. I always like watching it on tv and I'm watching the USA/Sweden match now.

So how do you find a place to play around you? I looked on USAcurl and the world site but with no luck. Google maps returned some stuff but of little help. I hate bowling but I think something like this would be fun to play with friends. I always like watching it on tv and I'm watching the USA/Sweden match now.

Contact USAcurling http://www.curlingrocks.net/contact-us.php. They actually have extra staff on during the olympics to answer those questions.

Of course the easy answer...if you are in Wisconsin or Minnesota, the closest curling rink is probably closer than your job. If you're anywhere else in the U.S., good luck.

So, what's with all the sweeping?
You asked, so here you go. I've been inundated with curling related questions from friends for the last week. Here's my standard answer to everything.

Short version:
Because the skip is yelling at them to sweep.

PhD version:
I can send you several papers that have titles like, "The motion of rapidly rotating cylinders sliding on smooth surfaces."

Bill Nye the Science Guy version:
If you remember back to physics class, the reason we can ice skate is because the pressure exerted by our weight down on the thin blade causes a localized melting of the ice. This layer of water between the skate and ice allows us to slide along. When it's too cold out, people say it is "sticky ice" because the ice can't melt enough to let us glide.

In curling, the 42 pound rock is flung down the ice and given a slight rotation. Since the whole rock is actually contacting the ice in a 10 inch wide circle that is about 3 mm thick, it acts like the skate blade and melts the ice below it thus allowing it to travel forward.

As the rock rotates, it drags the water film along to the front corner...in other words a clockwise rotating rock will drag the water to the front right corner...which reduces the drag more there thus allowing to rock to move in that direction...in other words a clockwise rotating rock will curl to the right.

When the sweepers contact the ice, they are essentially warming it up so it is easier to melt. This means there will be more melt water under the rock and this results in two things:
1. The rock will travel farther because it moves easier. Estimations vary, but some say as much as an extra 20 feet if done correctly.
2. The rock will have a more even layer of melt water under it so it won't curl as much.

So if a rock is thrown to weakly or it looks like it will over curl (thrown too narrow), the skip will tell them to sweep to compensate. If the rock is thrown too hard or too wide, the skip starts to look for other ways he can use the rock and prepares the list of insults he's going to hurl back down the ice at the guy that threw the stone.

In Olympic caliber curling, you see them sweep almost every stone, which is a bit more than beer league curling. At the novice level, many more stones will be left in play. This results in very high scoring games that are fun. At the Olympic level, if you give your opponent 3 points in one end, you may as well quit. They try very hard to throw "take-outs", which is the term for throwing your stone down with the intention of bumping out your opponents. Those stones are usually thrown very hard and narrow, which means you have your sweepers sweep it to make sure it stays on course.

Also, because the contact surface of the stone is so small, if it runs over a human hair or a piece of lint on the ice, that is often enough to send it glancing off at a 30 degree angle. So sometimes the sweeping is not being done very hard. Its just enough to keep the ice clean.

Thanks for the info. I was actually under the impression that the sweeping made the stone curl more and I've probably watched 20 hours of curling over the past 4 years. I really wish they would explain more during the broadcasts as it is not very easy to understand the details of what's happening in a relatively fringe sport...... strange that I need to come to a brewing site for explanations. :drunk:

Fringe sport? I guess that's all relative to your location. Up here, golfing is a fringe sport for about 9 months of the year.

I think NBC figures you go to their website and spend countless hours sifting through their videos to figure all the sports out.

Man, I'm watching curling right now on Winter Olympics. It's a fascinating game, really. It's not a sport, but it's a great game (but then, golf isn't a sport neither IMO). Now I wanna try it :D

Fringe sport? I guess that's all relative to your location. Up here, golfing is a fringe sport for about 9 months of the year.

I knew the Packers were extremely popular in Wisconsin but I didn't know curling was...... that's my justification. I really had no idea it was that big in parts of the US.

Oh, its not as big as the Packers...but neither is the Pope. Its basically popular among those of us who never really felt like playing hockey but found ice fishing a little too slow.

So what's the qualifications for classifying something as a "sport"? It takes a specialized skill set (walking on ice with one foot clad with teflon), requires some physical exertion (unless you're the skip sitting back calling the shots) and can be very competitive. Like football, at any moment the crappiest team can beat the best through a flukish series of events.

I'll warn you, don't try it unless you plan on getting hooked. Also wear heavily padded clothes because you will fall on your rear and take some ibuprofen ahead of time so you are ready for the pain.

Thanks for the overview, Dan.

I can't really say I enjoy watching it on TV, but it looks like it would be a blast on a winter afternoon. Is typically played indoors or out?

SWMBO and I are going to the Nutmeg Curling Club next weekend for one of the open curl days. I'm pretty stoked.

We're actually having a little curling gettogether with a few friends tonight. We're having curly fries, burgers, and canadian bacon. And homebrew....

I have been watching it for the last couple days and I am still trying to figure out the scoring. The announcers really do a terrible job of explaining things. I think my understanding right now is that whoever is closest to the middle gets a point and another point for every other rock they have that is still closer than the other teams closest. Is that right?

Do the different rings mean anything other than judging distances?

well this thread and the Olympics have totally piqued my interest. I did a quick google and found there is an actual curling league in San Diego. SAN DIEGO of all places!!! they have a learn to curl event on the 27th for only 20 dollars. I think I'm going to have to go check it out.

EDIT: it's actually in Escondido so after I get done throwing some stones I can just head on over to stone and throw back a few more stones. oh I crack myself up.

I have been wanting to try curling for a while. It looks fun. Quick question, for the new player what are the costs associated with starting?

The women curling teams from Denmark and Germany are HOT! Got my interest in the game.

Thanks for the overview, Dan.

I can't really say I enjoy watching it on TV, but it looks like it would be a blast on a winter afternoon. Is typically played indoors or out?
To be honest, I rarely enjoy watching myself. Playing is definitely better.

Like hockey, it could be played outdoors but to extend the season it is nearly always played indoors. PLus in the modern era, ice is kept at very exact conditions that couldn't be achieved/maintained outdoors. For example at our club, we try to keep the ice temp between 20 and 22 degrees, the air between 38 and 43F and the relative humidity between 30 and 35%. That way the throws and curls are pretty consistent.

I have been watching it for the last couple days and I am still trying to figure out the scoring. The announcers really do a terrible job of explaining things. I think my understanding right now is that whoever is closest to the middle gets a point and another point for every other rock they have that is still closer than the other teams closest. Is that right?

Do the different rings mean anything other than judging distances?

That is exactly correct. You get 1 point for every stone closer to the center than your opponents closest stone. There is not point difference between the inside and outside circle.

That is exactly correct. You get 1 point for every stone closer to the center than your opponents closest stone. There is not point difference between the inside and outside circle.

Ok, so it is the bastard child of shuffleboard and bocce ball on ice. :D

bastard child? BASTARD CHILD?

Dude, the first written recording of curling was ice conditions in 1541. The first evidence was a curling stone pulled from the bottom of a pond in Scotland with "1511" scrawled on it.

Shuffleboard was around in the 16th century, but more as a table top game. Its current form didn't really take off until the 1900's. It was invented by the English. Curling, like golf, was invented by the Scots.

Bocce Ball...who knows when the Italians came up with that.

That said, most Curlers will often spend their summers playing golf or Bocce. in fact our curling club is building 7 regulation Bocce courts out back this spring.

The only time I ever played shuffleboard was on a cruise. I would meet up on deck in the morning with some Canadians. We would tape off a curling circle over the shuffleboard triangle and use the roll of the ship to get the curl to our shots. No true curler would ever admit to playing shuffleboard.

I was more reffering to the bar shuffleboard. I had actually forgot about the other one. I had no idea that curling was that old. I knew it started in the UK but I thought it was a pretty new game.

Curling is an awesome sport to participate in. In fact, I earned two college credits curling. It really is a ton of fun.

I'm kinda disappointed. The curling club near me closes for the summer before I will get a chance to get there. Guess I have to wait till the fall when they reopen.

I'm signing up for an intro to curling day at a local club with some friends. Looks like fun, especially considering there is beer involved!

Most clubs do have to close during the summer. To be operated year round, they need to have heat in the soil underneath to prevent the ground from freezing and heaving. Taking the ice off all summer lets the ground thaw out.

Besides, even the most gung-ho curlers get tired of ice come April/may and are ready to get out on the golf course.

Most clubs do have to close during the summer. To be operated year round, they need to have heat in the soil underneath to prevent the ground from freezing and heaving. Taking the ice off all summer lets the ground thaw out.

Besides, even the most gung-ho curlers get tired of ice come April/may and are ready to get out on the golf course.

Understandable. Unfortunately I have the unfortunate circumstance that:

1)I am currently in Dayton which has no curling and
2)I get back to IL a month too late to try curling.

I look forward to trying curling this fall though.

Wait. You are hesitant to go because there may be other people like YOU there? :fro:

Go for it. Go for everything life has to offer.

Life offers herpies too.

Curling looks like a cross between bowling, pool, and darts. Aside from darts, it looks like it would be more dangerous than any of those sports to involve alcohol. I mean...you're handling rocks with handles while sliding across the ice. I'll pass.

As a good Canadian boy, I read through all of this with a huge grin on my face. I don't curl, but I have done it. Up here, understanding curling is the second thing you learn, right after hockey. It is a very fun game to get into, and can be done for very cheap compared to any other sport. Shoes are probably in the $50 range, a broom for under $100. The biggest expense would be league fees or facility fees.
I have never listened to the American announcers for a full game, but they did have a forigner who I think was American, sit in for an end on our sport station, and it was like adults talking to children, trying to explain every thing.
For very good commentary, google TSN, Canada's sports network. They have 3 commentators, a former mens world champ, a former womans champ, and the guy that asks the questions. They use a telestrator and everything, showing what the skip is trying and how the rocks will move and where they will end up. They make it very easy to follow and pick up.
And up to a few years ago, before the indoor smoking ban came into effect, they would have benches on the ice between the sheets with beer holders and ashtrays. Now that is a sport.

Back