Where do you want to vacation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's your ideal vacation?

• Tropical!

• Mountains

• Foreign country

• Cruise

• Road trip

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We go to an out island of the Bahamas every year called Eleuthera. It has fishing, endless sand, snorkeling, and few people. It's what we do to relax and recharge. What's your idea of a vacation?

Lorena

Foreign Country. Of course, it all depends on which country, but overall, I would rather travel abroad, whether alone or with my family. Just like the more cosmopolitan experience, I guess. Gives one a better perspective of things.

Going to the tropics/cruise would be nice to get away from reality, but that's exactly what it is. It doesn't really open yourself up to other cultures, lifestyles (as well). Nothing wrong with that at times, just not my cup of tea.

Difficult decisions...

I've vacationed in 49 of the 50 States, most of Canada and some of Mexico, Caribbean several times including cruises, lived in Germany for 9 years so I've seen almost all of Europe...Korea twice...

I wanted to do the Middle East and northern Africa, but couldn't talk the wife into it...too dangerous, she says...

The current plan is to retire in under 3 years...if we don't get to Alaska that will be our retirment trip...if we do, then Australia...until then maybe So. America...Machu Pichu for sure...:D

If it was up to me, I'd pack up and go camping and just wing it for a week. Every couple of year SWMBO wants to take a "big" vacation Disney a few years ago, etc. This past summer we drove for two weeks out west-Denver, Utah, then to SF area to visit my sister, then Mt Rushmore on the way home. I came home more stressed then when I left.:(

Eleuthera is great! Went there a couple times while in the Navy and stationed in Antigua. If you scuba, this is heaven! The continental shelf is about a half mile out. Even if you just snorkel, it's great.

I traveled a lot up to about 45, since then it's just been brewery road trips up & down the west coast. I have an old RV which is really cranky, so I do 55 mph and just enjoy the trip. No more Virginia Beach to San Diego in five days.

I'll try a Brew Cruise one of these years.

The last *real* vacation we had was going on our honeymoon, which we went to Montreal for a week. Being a hick from the sticks, getting a chance to spend a week in an old hotel, right downtown, being able to go to great restaurants and fine museums, seeing incredible music, just being encompassed in the vibe of a really cool city - that was really, really nice. Sitting on the small balcony of our room, smoking a cigar, drinking a bottle of Dom Perignon that one of her students gave us as a wedding present... if it were just the two of us, that would be my ideal vacation again.

Anywhere

I have always wanted to just one day "go out for a walk" and end up coming home a few years later. Just go where ever my feet and wit take me. I always thought it was kind of a stupid idea until I met a guy while I was in the Navy that had done just that. He bought a ticket from Sydney to Hong Kong and then a ticket from San Fransisco to Sydney. He basicly walked and hitched rides from Hong Kong to where I met him (in Texas).

I get to travel internationally with my job 3-4 times a year and kind of count part of that as vacationing even though it's really not. But I do get to stay in a decent hotel and not worry too much about the prices on the menus, so that's nice.

My ideal vacation is to load up the car with camping gear and hit the Applachians. I know the system pretty well so it's not stressful at all and I always have a great time.

My wife prefers big, international cities. Once my progeny gets old enough we plan to take a nice vacation to Chile & Argentina which will be a combination of big cities and countryside.

We like to mix it up.... moonshiners cabin in the Shenandoah, tropical cruises, trip to the UK. Time off is pretty much good wherever you go.

Like the_bird, last time SWMBO and I had a vacation was Jamaica, Montego Bay specific for our honeymoon. On the third day there we did a day-trip to Negril, but after that we spent the rest of the week either on the beach or at the pool bar. Totally relaxing. I just like to get where I'm going and not move for at least a week. I'm thinking Table Rock Lake in SW Mo next summer if I can get some family or friends talked into it.

Jamaica is on the list to go back to. Terrific people. I'd also like to get to St. Maarten tho...

Ize

Camping in the mountains would be ideal, but you could only vote for 1 so I picked the cruise. SWMBO and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon a lifetime ago and it was great. I'd do it again some day.

loop

Voted Other for All Of THe Above.
I do road trips and camp at the dunes in CA or cinders up in Flagstaff.
My foreign country is Mexico. Just a quick trip to the boarder.
I am set to take my first cruise to Jamaca this next May.

Wild

I'm a big fan of cruises. I like campfires, but HATE sleeping outside, in a tent and the whole RV thing. I like to have a nice room - either on a ship or a hotel and plenty of time to lay around and do nothing.

Cruises are cool, because they usually have lots of good food, drinks and take you to fun places. Also, it has to be a decent cruise line - not Carnival or something similar.

I will most anywhere in the name of VACATION. :ban: Hell, a crappy night in a Motel 6 is still better than a good day at work. Other times we will splurge a bit more on a vacation.

That said, the wife and I are going to Bonaire in March for a week of diving bliss. :rockin:

Oh yeah, I'm camping during the week after Christmas. I suppose that counts as a vacation even though it is only an hour-ish from home. Lots of homebrew saved up for that trip. Mmmmmmmmmm

Last "vacation" was a work trip my wife had in Hawaii where I tagged along. It was nice because her company picked up her part of the bill and there were other people out there to hang out with, but she did have to work and then we spent time with her work friends.

When we met, she had a crazy travel schedule that made it hard for us to plan trips. Then she had a horrible "promotion" that gave her a completely unstable life - last minute proposals would pop up and she'd practically live in her office for 3-5 days. We couldn't even plan holidays with the family.

Then she got preggers.

Now we have a 1-yeard old. We'd like to send him to Grandma's for a week and have some time for ourselves, but who knows when that will be.

I vote TROPICAL.

Everyday is a bit of a holiday for me. I am 14,000 miles from where I was born and currently living in Tasmania which is a lovely island. Nice scenery, weather (most of the time ;)) and the people are quite nice. (They cannot drive to save themselves though!)

When I (and the wife and kid I suppose...) get some free time there are still plenty of places that I would like to go exploring. Oh and fishing, anywhere.

Back