Exploding bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I had my first exploding bottle. Thank god it was in the storage box, but still quite a cleanup. Can somebody please explain the meaning of this? Does this mean my new batch of brew is done for? Do I have to worry about others blowing up?

Many thanks!!!!

Maybe not done for....but that bottle was for sure overcarbonated...the pressure from the CO2 was just too much for the bottle to handle...what kind of bottles are you using and how did you prime them? Also, was that the only bottle to break, and in how long?

It could be any number of things....Bottling a beer too early, overpriming, a gusher infection, a too high temp shift, and/or a simple flaw in the bottle.

I've had a couple beers blow and they were always isolated incidents.

There's no way to tell with yours (we're not brewing psychics :D) if it's an isolated incidence or they are all going to blow...it is really race unless you made a huge mistake and overprimed your beer to have them all go off like firecrackers.

Relax....

I'd (very carefully) pop one open and see if it blows beer all over and/or shoots the bottle cap off like a magnum. If so, you'll want to get them all into a fridge if possible. Cool them down so the CO2 absorbs into the liquid, lowing the pressure a bit and it'll also stop fermentation so they don't create anymore CO2 to add to the problem.

Maybe not done for....but that bottle was for sure overcarbonated...the pressure from the CO2 was just too much for the bottle to handle...what kind of bottles are you using and how did you prime them? Also, was that the only bottle to break, and in how long?

i'm using 22oz bottles. this is my 5th batch now but my first broken bottle. followed the instructions like always: make a simple syrup and mix in before in begin bottling. i bottled these puppies at almost 2 and a half weeks ago now. probably time to put them in the fridge?

the mess wasn't too bad.

....it is really race unless you made a huge mistake and overprimed your beer to have them all go off like firecrackers.

Relax....

yeah, first time in 5 brews....not too worried, i've followed the directions every time so it could just have been a fluke of nature.

If you're reusing the same bottles, it's not that rare to run across one that was weakened for some reason and just gave in. If they seem overcarbonated when you start drinking them though, you might want to get them all cold.

Back