Can't believe my wife did this......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
It was a proud moment for me last night. My wife who rarely drinks beer in the first place and when she does, will only drink bud light has always been forced to a least take a sip of my creations. The response has always been....ugh.

Well friday night I came home from a ball game to find my wife drinking one of my pale ales (edworts) since it was the only thing in the fridge and had a rough day on the job.

I didn't say anything but watched her intently as she took each sip waiting for some sort of comment. None to be had.

Long story short....come Sunday evening we are sitting down watching a movie, had gone shopping earlier that day which included a sixer of her bud light which was now in the fridge...she asks if I want a beer.

I say sure and let her fish out a pale ale for me and a BL for her. Well she comes back with two pints of what look like my pale ales and smiles. "Well" she says, "it's kind've pointless drinking BL when I have the good stuff right here"

That right there was my proudest moment, my wife now knows what good beer is. I love being inspired, and now will have to brew more :rockin:

Excellent story! They always come around sooner or later. :D

Unfortunately my wife is a huge stout fan and I prefer IPAs...trying to make a hoppy porter to satisfy us both. :mug:

My GF didn't "like beer" either until she tried my Hefeweizen. Now she likes it all. You will have her drinking Hop Monsters and RIS's before you know it!

Congrats! Now there will be no ball busting on brew days and when ordering new toys for brewing lol!

I'm still trying to get SWMBO to like any of my beer. I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde with US-05 and she says "it's too dry" - so I'm going to try that one again with the intended yeast and hopefully she'll like that. Just kegged some Apfelwein, and she's a big Chardonnay drinker, so though not beer maybe she'll like that.

Great job on yours!

I was lucky.

When I first started and got my kit in the mail she gave me an odd look. That look when you have one a dozen too many hobbies and now this. However she was open to the idea in a way.

After tasteing the results of the first brew she is sold. No complaints from her yet as long as I let her suggest a beer or two. I made her a rasberry beer and a pumpkin beer which she loves.

It's always nice when they share in a hobby that is truely awesome.

That's awesome! Maybe she'll get more involved and be your brewery assistant. A great way to spend quality time with her, while you do what you love best... brew!!

I need to ween her into the hobby slowly....I still want it to be my hobby. :D
Maybe I could get her to help bottling, our 5 year old loves putting the caps on the bottles while I crimp them....only takes twice as long but I consider it quality family time.

Nice story. Almost brought a joyful tear to my eye.

Soon she'll be making up your hop additions for you.

Congratulations.

I think the best complement a brewer can get is when the swmbo/family/friends/neighbors come knocking for another pint. Truly makes you feel like (I don't want to say brewmaster...that's a bit strong) a practitioner of a refined art.

i had a similar situation happen..........a few times. My wife's tastes buds change more often and faster than you could imagine. Generally she despises anything other than BL or Corona, says any other beer tastes like soy sauce. Then once in a blue moon i can get her to drink something of mine and she will absolutely love it and want more........then out of nowhere..she hates it again. She does the same thing with food and clothing......drives me NUTS!!!

On the flip side, Congrats on getting to brew twice as often!

Congrats! Now there will be no ball busting on brew days and when ordering new toys for brewing lol!

Although logical in thought, studies have shown women are NOT logical, and these statements are not true due to the simple fact that it is still your hobby. :(

On a side note, Last night I said to SWMBO, " You knows what's completely awesome? "

SWMBO - "What?"
Me - "having beer on Tap!"
SWMBO - "You knows even more awesome?"
Me - "huh?"
SWMBO - "Having 2 Beers on tap" *preceeds with funny non graceful dance across the basement*

:mug:

I'd love it if my girlfriend enjoyed beer! The furthest I've got so far is her drinking shandys and koppaberg pear cider lol!
She always sips my beers though (apart from my VERYclovey weiss which she wont go near!) but always makes the same 'ICK!' face :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We married HBers live for this moment.

It is cherished only slightly less than the words...
"Hey...you ah... wanna...
and
"I was wrong and you were right. Sorry"

I've only been married for 3 years, so I hear the first statement more often than I hear the last one. Guys-even when we're right, we're wrong. :confused:

That's awesome. I never get more than either a "yuck" face or a "it's not awful" face :(.

My wife will always taste the beer, comment on the flavors, and never touch it again. She has learned to appreciate my beer, but never like it. Luckily, she doesn't drink any beer at all. I'd be offended if she drank BL and refused mine!

Congrats on the conversion! :mug:

My wife will always taste the beer, comment on the flavors, and never touch it again. She has learned to appreciate my beer, but never like it. Luckily, she doesn't drink any beer at all. I'd be offended if she drank BL and refused mine!

Congrats on the conversion! :mug:
Same.

My wife also loves Lindemen's and certain types of wine so in order to appease her, I am experimenting in wine/mead making as well.

My wife hasn't attempted to even try my brews after 10 years of brewing. What a shining moment for you!

My wife is as big if not a bigger snob than myself. She would make a good BJCP judge. Not only does she drink my beer, she gives me very honest and constructive criticism. She even helps out around the brewery. It's great. Wouldn't want to brew without her.

Same.

My wife also loves Lindemen's and certain types of wine so in order to appease her, I am experimenting in wine/mead making as well.

I tried that too. She only likes super-sweet wine (Mogan-David), so she didn't care for the mead or wine I made. And I'm not that interested in it, so I didn't stick with it more than a couple years....although I'm thinking of making a "plain" mead again...

I've only been married for 3 years, so I hear the first statement more often than I hear the last one. Guys-even when we're right, we're wrong. :confused:

Ah, Enlightened One! You have learned perhaps THE most important principle of a long and contented marriage. Remember: don't analyze the situation, just apologize.

"What do you do around here all day, I'm sorry."

- Ray Romano, Everybody Loves Raymond

Lucky my GF loves my beers... Even styles she doesn't appreciate commercial examples of. It's near impossible to keep any of my Belgian Black Ale around. She's been asking me to teach her how to brew for some time.
On a side note... She NEVER drinks BMC. :mug:

While out to lunch a few weeks ago, my better half traded in her glass of wine for a pint of Dunkel that I was enjoying. I was so proud, I had to take a picture! Thankfully for me, she is extremely supportive in my little "hobby" and likes to help bottle. I was going to bottle my hefe this afternoon, but she isn't home and I think she might actually be mad if I did it without her!

OUTSTANDING! LOL My brother said to me the other day... "You've ruined my taste buds." I figured he must have been given a sour bottle of brew. No... he used to love Miller Light but cannot stand the stuff now since drinking my beer. LOL Says ML now tastes like poorly flavored Alka Seltzer. Yeah, tis a good feeling.

this has happened twice to me! first time when she started liking blue moons, and then moved onto a slew of german hefeweizens and belgian wits.. been like that for years.. then we just got back from UK/Ireland honeymoon trip, and low and behold, she finds out she likes Guinness!

It was a proud moment for me last night. My wife who rarely drinks beer in the first place and when she does, will only drink bud light has always been forced to a least take a sip of my creations. The response has always been....ugh.

Well friday night I came home from a ball game to find my wife drinking one of my pale ales (edworts) since it was the only thing in the fridge and had a rough day on the job.

I didn't say anything but watched her intently as she took each sip waiting for some sort of comment. None to be had.

Long story short....come Sunday evening we are sitting down watching a movie, had gone shopping earlier that day which included a sixer of her bud light which was now in the fridge...she asks if I want a beer.

I say sure and let her fish out a pale ale for me and a BL for her. Well she comes back with two pints of what look like my pale ales and smiles. "Well" she says, "it's kind've pointless drinking BL when I have the good stuff right here"

That right there was my proudest moment, my wife now knows what good beer is. I love being inspired, and now will have to brew more :rockin:

That would make my year right there.

I kind of have the opposite problem. My wife only likes craft beers now. Even on a canoe trip we buy canned craft beer.

Back