How to Cheese?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Is there anything like HowToBrew for cheese making? I really shouldn't be getting into another hobby like this, but oh well...

It's quite easy, actually:

1. Post some nasty pr0n.
  2. Get in arguments with the mods.
  3. Get banninated.

Voila. Cheese! :rockin:

Well there aren't terribly many great internet resources I have found. Most are kinda off-the-cuff it seems and Ricki Carrol's site has some great photos but no details :D

What about books? I've seen a bunch, but I'm sure most of them have it all wrong (as it is in homebrew). So who's the author with all the right info?

shafferpilot said:
What about books? I've seen a bunch, but I'm sure most of them have it all wrong (as it is in homebrew). So who's the author with all the right info?

Carroll's book is a good introductory book. It would be sufficient to get one started. But it is less on theory and more of a collection of (authentic) recipes. I recommend it with the understanding to the reader that if they want to go deeper it's not that good. Great to get the feet wet, heck probably enough for many people. But if you want the details of the how's and why's things occur, well that I am still looking for....they do recommend this one. But I can't comment on that one.

Fwiw, Carroll's book reminds me of Papa's information, not Palmer.

zoebisch01 said:
Carroll's book is a good introductory book. It would be sufficient to get one started. But it is less on theory and more of a collection of (authentic) recipes. I recommend it with the understanding to the reader that if they want to go deeper it's not that good. Great to get the feet wet, heck probably enough for many people. But if you want the details of the how's and why's things occur, well that I am still looking for....they do recommend this one. But I can't comment on that one.

Fwiw, Carroll's book reminds me of Papa's information, not Palmer.

Cool thanks. That looks like what I want. I'll keep my eye out...

zoebisch01 - I may look into that book.

I too have Carrol's book and its great but it does seem to be missing some info. She also has a video that you can get on the website. Its a pretty good video. The thing to keep in mind with the recipes is that the difference between 1 cheese and another may just be the weight you put it under or how high the heat is but its very subtle.

Fish said:
The thing to keep in mind with the recipes is that the difference between 1 cheese and another may just be the weight you put it under or how high the heat is but its very subtle.

Well that's all the 'good stuff' I really want to know, curd cooking times and the effect (I know in general, but want more detail), aging times, affect of humidity, affect of curd cut, rest times, pH effects...etc. In other words, I want to understand the technique so I can head off on my own :). Recipes are good, but can only take you so far.

zoebisch01 said:
. Recipes are good, but can only take you so far.

Yeah see it sounds like you are like me. When I make cheese I think "oohh what would happen if I do...?" and I just don't have the experience and it takes a lot of patience to find out. I like to experiment and I have trouble following recipes. Inversely I would love a source that would explain how my favorite cheese get their characteristics.

Back