Fajita versus Burrito

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinghamtonEd

Reaction score
So, this may just be a result of my own ignorance, but what differentiates a burrito from a fajita? Is it the contents? Is it the folding versus rolling approach to securing said contents? Because if it just comes down to how the thing is closed, fajitas are, in my opinion, stupid. If it's something else, well then I'll just say that I think the folding approach is inferior to rolling. With rolling, everything stays in a nice handy pouch. With folding, crap's falling out, you gotta tilt your head to eat it, I mean come on.

So do you fold or roll? And what's the difference between a fajita and a burrito. Or taco, for that matter.

I'm not sure what the difference is, other than a Fajita is generally brought to you in sizzling disarray and you put it all together yourself.

Also, does anyone find it coincidental that Burrito means "Little Burro" in spanish??

Good point, Homercidal. That's another point against fajitas. If I'm paying somebody to cook my food, I feel like assembling the final product should be their responsibility.

Not much different, other than the way it is wrapped. The contents are usually different, but there are fajita burritos that are basically the same.

Homercidal said:
Also, does anyone find it coincidental that Burrito means "Little Burro" in spanish??

Point of interest, while we're on the subject of translating mexican food names, a "gordita" can be interpreted as "little fat girl". Whether or not they contain the meat from a chubby female child is a matter of debate.

Point of interest, while we're on the subject of translating mexican food names, a "gordita" can be interpreted as "little fat girl". Whether or not they contain the meat from a chubby female child is a matter of debate.

Wow, I've never felt so dirty about having eaten a few gorditas in my time.

you guys are all smoking crack if you think fajita = burrito.

Fajita is grilled meat in a soft tortilla with grilled onions and peppers....to which is sour cream, salsa, guac. is added.

Burrito is meat (varies) rice, beans, and the above-mentioned condiments, wrapped up in a soft tortilla.

So what happens if I add rice and beans to a fajita? Because at lunch, I added rice and beans to my fajita. I think it was meant to be a side, but it was not.

you guys are all smoking crack if you think fajita = burrito.

Fajita is grilled meat in a soft tortilla with grilled onions and peppers....to which is sour cream, salsa, guac. is added.

Burrito is meat (varies) rice, beans, and the above-mentioned condiments, wrapped up in a soft tortilla.
This ^^^^^^
So what happens if I add rice and beans to a fajita? Because at lunch, I added rice and beans to my fajita. I think it was meant to be a side, but it was not.
Wait. What? Now I'm confused. Head. Is. Spinning. The burrito is the world's most perfect food. And this thread kicks a$$.

its a fajita with rice and beans...duh...

Go any farther and you risk making a tear in the space/time continuum. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Fajitas have a certain smell when they're sizzling on the hot plate in front of you. Order them and you may very well be smelling like your lunch all day long.

A fajita is skirt steak. Any other cut is not a true fajita. It has to be grilled and served with peppers and onions. Other toppings are optional. A burrito is pretty much any food folded up in a flour tortilla. Burritos can be made from fajitas if you wish to roll them that way.

A fajita is skirt steak. Any other cut is not a true fajita. It has to be grilled and served with peppers and onions. Other toppings are optional. A burrito is pretty much any food folded up in a flour tortilla. Burritos can be made from fajitas if you wish to roll them that way.

Yes this!!! Holy crap i was beginning to wonder if you were all joking.....apparently not

So it's kinda like saying all scotch is whiskey, but not all whiskey is scotch?

its a fajita with rice and beans...duh...

Go any farther and you risk making a tear in the space/time continuum. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Sweet. A companion! I'd name her... Gordita!

We'd fly around in my TARDIS (Tex-mex And Refried Beans Developed for Interdimensional Scarfing

Well, I'd have to call her MISS Gordita, as I would not want to become too familiar until we'd had a fair number of 4th Dimensional Meals. AKA 4th meals.

Wait, so what is a Chimichanga?? A type of burrito?

And so a soft shell taco is also a burrito??

Wait, so what is a Chimichanga?? A type of burrito?

And so a soft shell taco is also a burrito??

Chimichanga is fried also not really Mexican food, kinda like Cinco de Mayo is mostly celebrated by (not trying to offend anyone) white people that have no idea why. (Hell Im hispanic and I celebrate St. Patricks day and dont know why) :D

Well then is an Enchilada also a burrito? I think they have a tortilla wrapper, right?

Hell, I'm lost. I'm from Up North, Michigan!

No, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas burritos are made with flour. Im in Michigan too! Thank goodness can find a few good Mexican joints up here lol

I love Burritos, not a fajita fan myself but they're not bad.

To me the best mexican foods are

1. Burritos
2. Enchiladas
3. Flautas (called a toquito in some places)
4. Nachos
5. Chimichongas
6. Hard Tacos
7. Soft Tacos

And I'm probably forgetting a few that I love but that's the general order of my favorite Tex-Mex cuisine (as most of them were made in America)

Yes, an enchilada is burrito covered in sauce.

A chimichanga, enchilada-style, is a deep fried burrito covered in sauce.

Anything else? :p
Wrong
No, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas burritos are made with flour. Im in Michigan too! Thank goodness can find a few good Mexican joints up here lol
This^^^

And what about tamales? I would suggest they are closer to the enchilada family than the burrito family.

I love Burritos, not a fajita fan myself but they're not bad.

To me the best mexican foods are

1. Burritos
2. Enchiladas
3. Flautas (called a toquito in some places)
4. Nachos
5. Chimichongas
6. Hard Tacos
7. Soft Tacos

And I'm probably forgetting a few that I love but that's the general order of my favorite Tex-Mex cuisine (as most of them were made in America)

You forgot Chile Rellenos.

heres the real question, how do we fit a home brew in between every one of these tex mex choices? DRINK DRINK DRINK

how do we fit a home brew in between every one of these tex mex choices?

You don't need to, you just need to place a plate of mexican food (careful, plate is hot out of oven) in the secondary, and then rack on top of it. In a couple weeks you'll have a Burrito Ale. Very hard to distinguish from the Fajita Ale, but the bottle of the Fajita Ale doesn't roll, and the Burrito Ale does.

Back