Got a good Dixie Blackened Voodoo recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
So does anyone have a good AG Blackened Voodoo clone and a good substitute for the lager yeast so I can ale the thing ?
I did find this recipe .. I am thinking of substituting the lager yeast for a wyeast 1214 belgian abbey since I just happen to have one sitting here I need to use up.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager clone

5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.056; FG = 1.013; IBU = 25; SRM = 27; ABV = 5.4%

Ingredients:

0.5 lbs. (0.23 kg) U.S. 80 ºL crystal malt
1 oz. (28 g) U.S. black malt
2 oz. (56 g) U.S. chocolate malt
4 lbs. (1.8 kg) Alexander’s pale malt extract syrup
2.75 lbs. (1.25 kg) Munton's light DME
0.33 lbs. (0.15 kg) rice solids
1.5 oz. (42 grams) Mt. Hood 4.3% AA (6.5 HBU) (bittering hop)
0.25 oz. (7 grams) Cascade (flavor hop) at 45 minutes
0.25 oz. (7 grams) Mt. Hood (flavor hop) at 45 minutes.
1 tsp. (5 mL) Irish moss
0.25 oz. (7 grams) Cascade (aroma hop) at 55 minutes
0.25 oz. (7 grams) Mt. Hood (aroma hop) at 55 minutes
Wyeast 2035 (American lager) or Wyeast 2007 (Pilsen lager) yeast
0.75 cup (180 mL) corn sugar

Step by step:

Crush and steep crystal, black and chocolate malt in 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) 150 ºL (65.5 ºC) water for 20 minutes. Strain the grain water into your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) water at 150 ºF (65.5 ºC). Add water to the brew pot for 1.5 gallons (5.7 L) total volume. Bring the water to a boil, remove the pot from the stove, and add Alexander’s pale malt syrup, Muntons light DME, rice solids, and of Mt. Hood hops for bittering.

Add water until total volume in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons (9 L). Boil for 45 minutes and add flavor hops, and Irish moss. Boil for 10 minutes then add aroma hops. Boil for five minutes, remove pot from the stove and cool for 15 minutes.

Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain five gallons (18.9 L). When the wort temperature is under 80 ºF (26.6 ºC), pitch your yeast. Ferment in the primary fermenter five to seven days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter. Bottle when fermentation is complete with corn sugar.
Partial mash:

Mash 2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) U.S. 2-row pale malt and the specialty grains at 122 ºF (50 ºC) for 30 minutes and 150 ºF (65.5 ºC) for 60 minutes. Then follow the extract with grains recipe, omitting the 2 lbs. (0.9 kg) DME at the beginning of the boil.

All-grain method:

Grind 1/2 lb. (0.23 kg) rice, then boil for 20 minutes until soft. Mash 7.25 lbs. (3.3 kg) British 2-row lager malt and 2.5 lbs. (1.13 kg) U.S. 6-row ale malt with the specialty grains at 122 ºF (50 ºC) for 30 minutes and 151 ºF (66 ºC) for 60 minutes. Add 4.7% HBU (31% less than the extract with grains recipe) of bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. Add the flavor hops and Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil and the aroma hops for the last five minutes.

I made this with 2 row instead of the british lager and added in some extra bittering hops of the 105 type . this stuff has no taste even remotely like BV . Just right after primary fermentation any way it tastes like a newcastle brown sort of but real bitter from the hops I added.

Not surprising if you used a belgian ale yeast instead of a lager yeast, not to mention added hops. Belgian ale yeasts and Lager strains have got to be near polar opposite in taste.

Not surprising if you used a belgian ale yeast instead of a lager yeast, not to mention added hops. Belgian ale yeasts and Lager strains have got to be near polar opposite in taste.

actually I think the belgian was dead so I used a pack of bakers yeast to get it fermented . It is still going jsut a bit cleaning up after it's self . Taste very bitter still . A bit too much hersbrucker . It will be great once mixed with my special nut brown . going to mix 5 and 5 and bottle I think

After fermentation I tried some of this before bottling . It tastes horrible , at least for me as it has a very strong fruit flavor like raisin , plum , I do not know what flavor but I do not like fruit flavors in my beer.
I am guessing this is a product of the abbey yeast coming to life . Thought that stuff was dead but I am pretty sure bakers yeast would not leave a fruit flavor .
Well I will try a bottle in a few months to see how it tastes after mellowing out in a very cold room .

Back