Strange 'African' Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishruss

Reaction score
Just sampled a somewhat copied version of Dogfishhead's T'ej Ale. Very much a sipper! Made a starter 24hrs. before brew day. 3/4 cup light DME, 650ml water to boil, cooled to 80 degrees and pitched Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead.
Brew day: In a separate smaller pot, 8oz. gesho (an African tree root) with 1lb. light DME boiled for 20 min. and set aside.
In main brewpot, 3.3lbs. Light LME and 12lbs.(!) light amber honey (from Northern Brewer catalog) with 2oz. cascade hops(60min.)
@30min. 2oz. cascade hops.
10 min. remaining, add yeast nutrient and the set aside gesho boil mixture.
Cool to 80ish and pitch yeast starter. Put in secondary couple weeks later. Bottled three weeks after that. Needs some time to mature. ABV 9.9
What do you think?

Sounds really cool! I suspect it would taste a lot like a strong braggot, which isn't really my cup o' beer...

What does the gesho taste like? I've worked part-time in a specialty produce store for 3 years and have never heard of it.

Tried it the other day after a month and a half bottled. Not too bad! I would think this will get better with age. Kind of a bastardised version of a recipe I got from Extreme Brewing (Sam C. from Dogfish Head Brewery). Got the gesho from an Ethiopian restaurant. Gesho is used much like hops in a naturally fermented honey drink in Ethiopia. In the original reciped in Sam's book, no hops were added, just the gesho. I was too worried it might have been too sweet, so I added the cascade hops. I am sure it would have been fine without. I am sure gesho can be found online somewhere, i havent checked yet.

Back