American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
I want to do an American Wheat beer for the summer. So far I have centenial .5 Oz @ 60 mins, cascade .5 Oz @ 15 mins and 5 mins, for my hops schedule. This gives me an IBU of about 24.1 I cannot figure out what yeast to use to compliment the fruity flavors of the hops??? This will be my first attempt at all grain and I also DO NOT want the wheat bite sometimes associated with wheat beers. If you can imagin a fresh fruity version of Sam Adams Hefe thats what I am going for...

My Grain Bill looks like this but I am working on it

4.5 lbs of German Wheat Malt
3.75 lbs of Pale Malt
1.0 lbs of Flaked Wheat
.5 lbs of Munich
.5 lbs of Carapils
.5 lbs of Rice Hulls

PS. I took the bill from iamjonsharp in the wheat beer recipe forum, but its slightly modified.

Estimated OG 1.056

Just looking for some critiques and a possible yeast for this beer???

I would use Wyeast 1056,WLP001 or US-05. You can ferment this strain fairly low (64 degrees or even a bit lower) and you should get a nice clean ferment. That is what I am going to do on my next wheat batch.

I like wheats, but I don't care for hefs so I always use 1056. I have two wheats I brew that are basically the same grain bill but I use cluster hops in one. I also brew a Dunkleweizen with 1056 that is nice if I don't say so myself.

I second the Cal Ale WLP001 or 1056. Safale-05 would work well too.
I've been trying to clone Oberon ever since I moved to Atlanta. I think it's got a lot more Munich than most wheat beer recipes. You might think about bumping up the Munich to 1 or 2 pounds to increase the smooth maltyness.

I did an American wheat that ended up very clean and crisp by using wyeast's kolsch yeast and fermenting at about 66F

I am brewing an American wheat either this weekend or the next. Unless I can lay my hands on some Danstar Munich, I am seriously thinking about just using US-05. Will US-05 work OK for an American wheat?

Also, I thought the tendency was to skip the flavor and aroma hops for a wheat. Since an American wheat has less yeast flavor, are the additional hops needed?

I am brewing an American wheat either this weekend or the next. Unless I can lay my hands on some Danstar Munich, I am seriously thinking about just using US-05. Will US-05 work OK for an American wheat?

Also, I thought the tendency was to skip the flavor and aroma hops for a wheat. Since an American wheat has less yeast flavor, are the additional hops needed?

An American Wheat and a Hefe are actually really different styles. Hefe is all about the yeast. An American Wheat is all about clean wheat flavor and some citrus hop. No "hefe" flavor to be found in an American Wheat.

American Wheat Beer - Home Brewing Wiki

The Danstar Munich is supposed to present traditional Hefe clove/banana esters and would therefor be a poor choice for an American Wheat. US-05 will be great in an American Wheat.

US-05 it is, then.

What about hops? I was planning on Hallertau for the bittering (I have some nice 7.7% NZ). Maybe some 3% German Hallertau for aroma and maybe flavor additions?

I actually did an American Wheat last summer and used the White Labs Kolsch yeast (WLP029), which was on the suggestion of my LHBS. It turned out great- nice, easy drinking summer beer. Apparently this is what a lot of American Breweries use, particularly Widmer, to make American Wheat since it gives the cloudiness without the Hefe-like phenols. I've heard that using the WLP002/US-56/1056 doesn't quite give the beer enough character.

WLP029 won't give you a cloudy appearance of yeast. It floculates about average. If you want cloudy then use a tsb of flour mixed in water and added to the boil in the last 5 minutes or so.

Used WLP029 on a Kolsch and it's one of the clearest beers I've made. And without finings as well.

Well, I guess an American Wheat uses American hops: Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, etc...

I like Saaz, Hallertau, Tet. Saaz is gentle and nicely spicy. That's my go-to for wheats where I want a nice crispness. Bitter with Magnum then 1 oz Saaz in 5 gal @ 10 min to flame out.

Oh, and don't skip the flavor/aroma additions.

I've used both 1056 and US-05... I would say a little more yeasty charater remains with the wheat and a bit more fruity flavoring (So this would work well with any flavor additions you plan on doing)

US-05 seems to be very clean and a bit dryer... But very refreshing... I guess it really depends on what your ultimate goal is for this wheat

Well, I guess an American Wheat uses American hops: Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, etc...

I like Saaz, Hallertau, Tet. Saaz is gentle and nicely spicy. That's my go-to for wheats where I want a nice crispness. Bitter with Magnum then 1 oz Saaz in 5 gal @ 10 min to flame out.

Oh, and don't skip the flavor/aroma additions.

I disagree that an American wheat should use American hops... As much as I love Centennial... I believe that you will get a better flavor profile out of the Tet and Hallertauer... I have a nice recipe that I will be using this week/weekend. If interested... I belive it comes right in at 21 IBU's for a 10g batch.

American hops or Noble hops are fine. I use Williamette and Cascades in my American Wheat.

1.045SG
50% pale 50% white wheat malt

21 IBU of Williamette @ 60
.5 oz Cascade .5oz Williamette at flame out
Ferment with US-05 @ 65°F for 14 days.

From HBT style Wiki (BJCP):

Aroma: Low to moderate grainy wheat or rye character. Some malty sweetness is acceptable. Esters can be moderate to none, although should reflect American yeast strains. The clovey and banana aromas common to German hefeweizens are inappropriate. Hop aroma may be low to moderate, and can have either a citrusy American or a spicy or floral noble hop character. Slight sourness is optional. No diacetyl.

You're right. Per style, noble hops are fine.
Cool beans. I'm glad that in this example "American" isn't solely defined by citrusy hops.

I vote for Saaz the sheet out of it!!!

WLP029 won't give you a cloudy appearance of yeast. It floculates about average. If you want cloudy then use a tsb of flour mixed in water and added to the boil in the last 5 minutes or so.

Used WLP029 on a Kolsch and it's one of the clearest beers I've made. And without finings as well.

I don't know about that - maybe something wrong in my process but I've made about half a dozen beers with WLP029 and none have ever turned out clear. Again, the American Wheat I did with it gave me a perfectly cloudy wheat appearence. Conversely, I saw someone mention using Nottingham which always gives me nice clear beers.

Have you considered Wyeast 1010? This is the american wheat strain. Supposed to not be as fruity or phenolic as the german or other european weizen strains. I have one fermenting right now with 1010. I'll re post in another week or so with impressions. It's only 2 weeks old right now and I can't taste the effects of the yeast yet - just alcohol.

I'll be brewing an Am wheat this weekend. And I'm glad someone brought up the Wyeast 1010 as that is the strain I chose. One question and I see this in the recipe section as hit and miss.

Is it necessary to have a protein rest for Wheats?

Not really. It's up in the air in regards to flaked wheat if it is worth it. I don't even bother with wheat malt. With today's highly modified malts too long of a protein rest can actually be a detriment to body and head.

It's really up to you if you want to do that step or not. It's not "necessary" to make a wheat beer.

Gotcha, the reason I also ask is when buying the grains I see that the product description of white wheat malt says it requires a protein rest.

Latest posts

Back