Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled up my first ever batch of Apfelwein! How does it look? Does the color look right? I actually didn't even sneak a taste so I'll see how it tastes tomorrow when the bottle I stuck in the fridge cools down.

image-3300470350.jpg

I have the leftover yeast cake still in the carboy with a bung on it. Has anyone ever started a new batch on top of if without cleaning it out? I have everything I need, and I can do it tomorrow night if that's something that can be done. A

Looks good to me.

How old is the yeast cake?
I tried to start Skeeter Pee with a leftover yeast cake...it was about 3 months old. It never fermented...so I just added another packet and it took off.

BamaProud said:
Looks good to me.

How old is the yeast cake?
I tried to start Skeeter Pee with a leftover yeast cake...it was about 3 months old. It never fermented...so I just added another packet and it took off.

I started the Apfelwein exactly 2 months ago today and just bottled it last night.

Maybe I'll try making some skeeter pee for next summer.

I love the options of having an open carboy!

Finally got around to making this last night. Followed original recipe, using Mott's apple juice. It's in the basement at 65F. I'll report back in a few months!

I'm really torn after reading the Caramel Apple thread over whether I should ride this original batch out or split it in half and make a 2.5 gal batch if Caramel Apple cider. Anyone done this?

I'm really torn after reading the Caramel Apple thread over whether I should ride this original batch out or split it in half and make a 2.5 gal batch if Caramel Apple cider. Anyone done this?

I did. Ended up making a 6 gallon total batch. Used 5 gallons for caramel apple cider (keg limit) and 1 gallon for apfelwein.

What's the best way to make this a bit sweeter other than back sweetening? I love my batch now but I want to make another batch with a tad more sweetness to it. Brown sugar? A different yeast? Apple cider instead of apple juice? Another kind of juice mixed into it? Cinnamon sticks? Any suggestions?

Started this last year and had a little mold issue after transfering to secondary (still don't know the cause) well it's been sitting in the secondary for a year now and in the bottle for about 3 weeks. Tasted it today and let me tell you what! This is terrible! Almost pure alcohol taste with little apple. I don't blame the recipe it had to be something I did, just rather upsetting. I now have 24 or so bottles, maybe use it for a mulled wine in the fall?

Or is there a way to save the bottles? I'll gladly uncork em all and recork them if theres something I can add to atleast sweeten it up and bring the apple out a bit more

20130912_182659.jpg

How did te caramel apple turn out? Worth the effort to split?

I think it was worth the effort. My plans changed mid stream and I was looking for something that was drinkable sooner. So the caramel apple cider was the perfect solution. And I've got some apfelwein aging while I drink the cider!

Started this last year and had a little mold issue after transfering to secondary (still don't know the cause) well it's been sitting in the secondary for a year now and in the bottle for about 3 weeks. Tasted it today and let me tell you what! This is terrible! Almost pure alcohol taste with little apple. I don't blame the recipe it had to be something I did, just rather upsetting. I now have 24 or so bottles, maybe use it for a mulled wine in the fall?

Or is there a way to save the bottles? I'll gladly uncork em all and recork them if theres something I can add to atleast sweeten it up and bring the apple out a bit more

Did you stick to the original recipe or did you goose it with additional sugar? What you are describing sounds like young apfelwein. If you let it sit it will mellow out and the apple will come through.

I just started my second batch. After bottling my first batch on Tuesday and already drinking 2 bottles, I decided something needed to be done! I decided to play around with the recipe a bit.

Here's the recipe I used in my 6 Gallon carboy.
-I used my yeast cake(Montrachet) from my last batch of apfelwein and added half a teaspoon of yeast nutrient to help it along.
- 4 Gallons of Great Value (Walmart brand) Apple Juice.
- 1.5 Gallons of Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice (also has Grape and Pear juices).
- 2.25 Pounds of Corn Sugar.
- 50 or so Raisins.
- 1 Cinnamon Stick

image-882963528.jpg

What's the best way to make this a bit sweeter other than back sweetening? I love my batch now but I want to make another batch with a tad more sweetness to it. Brown sugar? A different yeast? Apple cider instead of apple juice? Another kind of juice mixed into it? Cinnamon sticks? Any suggestions?
More sugar will only give you a sweeter product if you have more of it then the yeast can consume at it's max alcohol tolerance. If it's short of it's alcohol tolerance it will continue to ferment, even in the fridge.

In the US, apple cider is just apple juice with some of the apple particulates left in. So, that doesn't really effect your ending sugar content. Adding another kind of juice probably won't change the fact that all of the sugar in the solution is fermentable.

IMO, cinnamon sticks add depth of flavor. They don't change the ending sugar content of the brew.

You could pick a yeast with a really low alcohol tolerance, so it stalls out before all the sugar is consumed. Honestly though, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would stall out before you ended up with a fairly dry apfelwein.

You can halt the fermentation by pasteurizing before all the sugar is consumed. This is a little tricky as you have to time things right. Basically, taste it often. Once the sweetness reaches the point you want, pasteurize the batch. Either in the bottle, or in a big batch on the stove.

You can add something sweet that isn't fermentable. Either baking splenda, or for something novel like lactose. I suppose you could do that before fermentation starts.

IMO, the best approach is to let it ferment dry. Then sweeten to taste. Then bottle pasteurize, for a sweet cider.

Honestly though, unless you want carbonated cider, I don't see the point in bottling sweet. I usually bottle dry. Then use a bottle of simple syrup to sweeten the glass I'm drinking to whatever level of sweetness I'm in the mood for at the time. That way I can have a glass dry, or any level of sweet. It's easy to add sugar, it's harder to take it back out. :)

To make simple syrup, stir 1 part water to 2 parts granulated sugar by volume and a dash of lemon juice over medium heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. Let cool. Poor into the bottle of your choice. For a 1 gallon batch of syrup, this should take no more then 15 minutes. Though it does take about an hour and a half for that big of a batch to cool. The acid and heat breaks some of the sucrose into glucose and fructose. That keeps the syrup from crystallizing in the bottle. Any acid will work, lemon juice is just the easiest to find.

Did you stick to the original recipe or did you goose it with additional sugar? What you are describing sounds like young apfelwein. If you let it sit it will mellow out and the apple will come through.

That I can remember and from what I wrote down I followed it verbatim. The only thing I can think of was the mold issue but I did everything I could to avoid disturbing it and getting it in the bottles. Tonight I'll try some in a little sprite.

It's what everyone around here bugs me for the most, more of that "apple champagne" sweeten it, keg it, and I'm lucky if it even carbonates completely before it's gone.
It sounds like you need to brew more. :)

For bottling in that situation, I'd get a plastic soda or PET bottle that's the same volume as your apfelwein. Back sweeten, then fill your bottles. When the PET bottle is hard to the touch, bottle pasteurize the rest of the batch you put in glass.

After seeing this thread many time I can only contribute this advice. Go to Frankfurt am mein, go downtown, and find a good place that sells handkase mit musik and apfelwein on pumpernickel, nothing of said categories will ever taste the same.

Just bottled my batch. Only made 4 gallons. Into the fermenter on May 21st with an OG of 1.057. Bottled today, Sept 14th, with a FG of 0.960. Made it just a tad stronger than what I was hoping for but... oh well. Super dry but still tastes really good. Excited to see how it tastes around Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Ok, so this took me 35 minutes from start to end of clean up.
I'm just not sure I want to commit that kind of time to my brew day.;)
Thanks Ed, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Mine's been in the fermenter 6 weeks now, still no clearing. Pretty much looks the same is it did 3 weeks ago, back to the color of Apple Juice but can't see through the carboy.

Mine's been in the fermenter 6 weeks now, still no clearing. Pretty much looks the same is it did 3 weeks ago, back to the color of Apple Juice but can't see through the carboy.
If that's important to you, pick up some pectin enzyme. You probably have pectin haze. The directions say to use it before fermentation, it will still work after it just takes a few days instead of an hour.

If that's important to you, pick up some pectin enzyme. You probably have pectin haze. The directions say to use it before fermentation, it will still work after it just takes a few days instead of an hour.

I'm assuming that it just isn't done. Last I checked, the SG was still 1.006

First batch is at .996 after 6 and a half weeks. Tastes pretty good. Going to carbonate it. Thinking maybe bottling so it will age more and not tie up a keg. Have my 2nd batch in as of last night. Sorry how do you back sweeten? Lactose?

Also I had to use Lalvin ec 1118 yeast. No one at my lhbs had even heard of Montrachet yeast or w/e it was

dave8274 said:

Why not add something to clarify it? I added Super-Kleer to mine after 6 weeks and a week later it cleared right up and I bottle a week after that.

munro said:
First batch is at .996 after 6 and a half weeks. Tastes pretty good. Going to carbonate it. Thinking maybe bottling so it will age more and not tie up a keg. Have my 2nd batch in as of last night. Big difference between regular and back sweetened?

I just walked into my brew room where my Apfelwein is bubbling like crazy. I farted and the room instantly smelled better.

To be honest, I followed the recipe to the T and I thought my brew close smelled just like fermenting apple. In a good way. Nothing smelled bad at all.

This probably has been answered here but i don't have a 5 gal carboy, only 6.5 gal. Do I make the recipe for a 5 gal and not worry about the extra headspace or do I have to up the ingredients for 6.5 gal?

keahunter said:
This probably has been answered here but i don't have a 5 gal carboy, only 6.5 gal. Do I make the recipe for a 5 gal and not worry about the extra headspace or do I have to up the ingredients for 6.5 gal?

I used a 6.5 gallon carboy and left the space without a problem and I think a lot of people did the same. My second batch that's going right now I threw in an extra 3/4 gallon of juice and a half pound or so more dextrose.

Just took a hydrometer sample, and my apfelwein is at 1.006. Isn't that unusual at 5 weeks? It's been in the basement at a constant ~68-71 degrees. Wait longer, or even possibly repitch yeast?

11 days later, after I moved it upstairs to a slightly warmer room. Now at over 6 weeks since pitching, and still at 1.006. Not sure what to do from here.

Taste it. If you like what you've got, proceed as usual. If not, repitch.

I actually did taste the hydrometer sample, and it tasted really good, though slightly sweet. Proceeding for me would mean bottling, and I would worry about bottle bombs.

When I moved it upstairs a couple weeks ago, I gave the yeast at the bottom a good stir, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I suppose I could try re-pitching, I do have some Montrachet in the fridge. I wonder what happened though, it fermented a a pretty rock solid 68-70 degrees in the furnace room and seemed to bubble pretty vigorously for a while at first.

I used a 6.5 gallon carboy and left the space without a problem and I think a lot of people did the same. My second batch that's going right now I threw in an extra 3/4 gallon of juice and a half pound or so more dextrose.

Thanks jstampler! Can't wait to get this started

I actually did taste the hydrometer sample, and it tasted really good, though slightly sweet. Proceeding for me would mean bottling, and I would worry about bottle bombs.

When I moved it upstairs a couple weeks ago, I gave the yeast at the bottom a good stir, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I suppose I could try re-pitching, I do have some Montrachet in the fridge. I wonder what happened though, it fermented a a pretty rock solid 68-70 degrees in the furnace room and seemed to bubble pretty vigorously for a while at first.

I agree. It's odd that it stopped. But it sounds like you've given it every chance to start back up. I wouldn't be too concerned about bottle bombs. But if it causes you to lose sleep, you could always pasteurize per the sticky in the cider forum.

I agree. It's odd that it stopped. But it sounds like you've given it every chance to start back up. I wouldn't be too concerned about bottle bombs. But if it causes you to lose sleep, you could always pasteurize per the sticky in the cider forum.
That's exactly what I was going to recommend. If you don't mind the sweetness, bottle and then bottle pasteurize.

Montrachet does have a reputation for stalling out mysteriously occasionally. If you want it to finish dry, I'd repitch with a different strain. Champagne is good for that if you want it dry. It tends to chomp through anything remotely fermentable.

I could try some different yeast, I definitely want it dry. Is there any possibility it's just slower because it fermented a little cooler, or is that unlikely since SG hasn't changed at all in 11 days?

What's weird is I have another carbohydrate in the basement that started a few days later. I haven't checked gravity, but it isn't clearing either.

By the way, I also didn't really have any sulfer smells during early fermentation that others have described.

I could try some different yeast, I definitely want it dry. Is there any possibility it's just slower because it fermented a little cooler, or is that unlikely since SG hasn't changed at all in 11 days?

What's weird is I have another carbohydrate in the basement that started a few days later. I haven't checked gravity, but it isn't clearing either.

By the way, I also didn't really have any sulfer smells during early fermentation that others have described.
If it hasn't changed in 11 days, then it's probably not going to.

The sulfur smell is a nutrient deficiency thing, usually in combination with somewhat warm fermentation temps. Some batches of juice have better nutrient contents, plus it's much less of a problem fermenting cool. So the lack of that smell is probably more due to the temperature, and really that's a good thing. Your apfelwein will probably be fantastic, lower temps also mean fewer fusel alcohols.

You know, I really think you have pectin haze. Pectin is a water soluble carbohydrate, so it very well could be contributing to the gravity reading without actually being fermentable. About 3/4 of the commercial juice on the market is cleared by treating the juice with pectin enzyme. That last quarter is cleared by running the juice through a centrifuge to remove the particulates. That process removed the particulates and clears the juice, but it leave the actual pectin intact. So, if you ferment it, you get particulates stuck in it again. You will also get gravity readings that are a little high as some of what you are measuring is non-fermentable carbohydrate.

If it was mine and I wanted it dry, I'd mix a little pectin enzyme in and sprinkle a packet of champagne on top. Be careful if you decide to do that, you could end up with an apfelwein geyser from the dissolved co2...That reminds me, it wouldn't hurt to degass it. It's much more common to do that in mead, but reducing the dissolved co2 might get things going again too.

Back