2.5g SlimLine water jug, any use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCrane

Reaction score
So I saw these at my local WalMart a few week back. Thought they might be of some use. I was thinking of using them (the bigger one) as secondaries (doing 2.5g batches).

From what I remember they are BPA free and are marked #1 or #2 (memory is foggy)

Here

Thought I'd share and see what's might stir up

Those look cool, but also hard to clean.

I'm starting to play around with the idea of making 5 gallon batchs, then transfering them into 2 secondarys instead of 1, and treating them differently, ie dry hop 1 batch, oak chip another.

They might be a useful size for that, I see drilling a hole in the top for an airlock.

Those look cool, but also hard to clean....

They might be a useful size for that, I see drilling a hole in the top for an airlock.

Might two thoughts exactly. The lid is a good size, prob about 4" across (from memory) and would be easy to add an airlock. I guess you would have to shake the shtuffing out of it to clean it

They are only like $6.50 at WalMart. I plan on snagging on this weekend.

Their size would be great for saving space in a ferm. chamber/chiller

Not to mention being designed to fit snug in a fridge, holy lagering batman!

I have used the small ones for 1-1.5 gallon test batches and they work fine for a primary. They clean up well with an overnight oxyclean soak and some shaking. I drilled a hole in the lid and fit it with an airlock. I also got smaller ID tubing to rig up to a bottle filler so I can go straight from the spigot to bottles with carb tabs. I primary only on my test batches, and most everything else I brew. I never use plastic for secondary, only glass, but that is a debate for another day.

I was even thinking for those who keg and want to take some brew to a friends party or cookout. Load her up and be able to keep the beer cold and serve with the spigot. Won't have to mess with growlers which aren't totally fridge friendly.

Harkin i like your thinking

Great idea to use those jugs! I have one myselft and I am think of using it for secondary and dry hopping. I might even try to do a cold crashing in the fridge with it!

But I found the spigot to be located to much near the bottom. Do you guys actually use it? DOes it cloaks?

Look like this :

SlimlineFridgeJug_l.jpg

Back