Wireless Router needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I'm on a budget and need a wireless router for my new Dell laptop. Needs to be strong enough to cover Bob floors in my cape. My budget is limited since I don't want to take away from my brewing expenses. :)

What can I find for under $60?

I just got one for $25 after a $20 mail in rebate. Hooked it up today. Nothing fancy. Should support normal use. I could barely comprehend half of the reviews between buffalo and tomato blah blah talk and all this other crap people use it for. But no real negative reviews for normal people use (i.e. wireless home network and printer sharing) for this model when I researched.

https://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=AA97305

Guess the price went up a little. Check out slickdeals.net for the next good one. That's where I found it in the first place.

Netgear WGR614. $40 at Best Buy. I've got one and the range is really good. Replaced a more expensive Linksys with this one and very happy with it.

Netgear WGR614. $40 at Best Buy. I've got one and the range is really good. Replaced a more expensive Linksys with this one and very happy with it.

The sales Rep at best buy told me that it most likely wouldnt work on 2 separate floors. U thought it was weird but what did I know.

If you tell me "bob floors in my cape" means, I might have an extra router I can send your way.

I liked "bob floors" better. It created an interesting mental image. I was wondering how many square feet one Bob would cover?

The sales Rep at best buy told me that it most likely wouldnt work on 2 separate floors. U thought it was weird but what did I know.

sales rep lied. a typical wireless G router should produce a signal your neighbor across the street can still use.

Wireless N has a range of like 1000 feet or something insane.

So, yeah, any $45 NetGear or Linksys wireless should definitely keep your house covered unless its a concrete mansion.

Wireless N has a range of like 1000 feet or something insane.

Not quite. Indoors the MAXIMUM theoretical range is 230ft. Outdoors in plain line of sight with no obstructions it is closer to your estimate, about 800ft. Real life practical situations you are looking about the 150ft range or so.

But yes, center it in the house and it should easily cover the whole house.

best deal i've seen lately on a really good one.
$84 - $19 off with coupon code EMCYVYT26 [Exp 7/6] = $65 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=404255&SID=146688

I'm going to have to agree with lknbigfish here. That's a great price for a great router. I use the same one and it has been the best of the 8 or so routers I've used for extended periods of time. The fact that it is wireless N will get you better range and better speed while still working with any wireless G equipment you might be using.

I do also agree with Blender's suggestion of some variant of the Linksys WRT54G if you're ok with wireless G only. They are very solid routers and a great platform to learn about networking more in the future if you want to...sorry, I'm a computer nerd and actually bought one just to play with, it's a great piece of hardware.

Most any router should cover both floors if you place it in the middle level. In a house, most routers will have very weak signal going through 2 floors.

I've heard good things about buffalo and of course, the WRT54G is a nice unit, especially when you flash it with linux and tweak it some more...

this is amerika, get your router at WalMart. Netgear N for $50 or g for $40. Works like a champ, can watch the Squidbillys on any wifi equipped device in the trailer park.

A total hypothetical question but what if one was a to receive a wi-fi signal from a neighbor. How wrong would this be?

Back