I made an all-grain brewing video, take a look!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wihophead said:
You could download the flv file then convert it to the format you would like to use.....

The only issue with that is that youtube drops the quality of the video quite a bit. Still, that's better than nothing.

Hey Joe, if you want a place to host the original video, let me know I'll put it up on my server...

Kilted Brewer said:
Great videos. Enjoyed watching...but I have a question for anyone...Mash Tun...I've always pronounced it like TON....in the video it's more like TOON or TUNE....what is the proper pronunciation?

Webster's prefers tun pronounced like the 2000 lb weight measure. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tun

Thanks for the great videos. I'm going to try to get SWMBO to watch them. We're getting equipment together for AG.

doublegun said:
Webster's prefers tun pronounced like the 2000 lb weight measure. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tun

I say potato, you say potato... hmm.. doesn't have the same effect in writing does it?

doublegun said:
Thanks for the great videos. I'm going to try to get SWMBO to watch them. We're getting equipment together for AG.

+1. I put the videos together into one file and sent it to my tivo. The SWMBO thought it was cool. I've got all but the chiller ready for AG so we're almost there.. Thanks again dude.

I noticed no sparge arms, am I right?

I thought it was handed down from On High, that Thou Shalt Use Sparge Arms, preferably spending $$ in the process.

you mean I can skip that business and just put a coffee tin lid on the top and let the water smack into that and distributed that way? Cool, one less thing to hassle with.

vmpolesov said:
I noticed no sparge arms, am I right?

I thought it was handed down from On High, that Thou Shalt Use Sparge Arms, preferably spending $$ in the process.

you mean I can skip that business and just put a coffee tin lid on the top and let the water smack into that and distributed that way? Cool, one less thing to hassle with.
Nah, I've been using the same coffee can lid for at least 5 years now. In fact, I sometimes play "chase the lid" by trying to steer it around with the water from the sparge tube.

I'm on the fence with redistributing the video on anything besides YouTube. On one hand, the idea of selling a DVD for a little extra scratch is tempting. On the other hand, I think this kind of information should be freely available.

I do plan on re-shooting, and would like to make it as correct as possible. So far, the errors that have been brought to my attention:

1. Tun is said like TON, not TUNE.
2. The first hops are called Bittering, not flavor.
3. Some people did not like the music.
4. A little more explanation of the pump valves.

Any others? I want to try to make it as complete and correct as possible. Thanks.

-joe

Joe, seriously. The video is fine as is. Don't go chasing perfection on it because odds are people will start picking nits at some other nuance on the new one. It's by far the best all grain video out there. Move on to other topics. I think you'll enjoy the editing on something fresh anyway.

Bobby_M said:
Joe, seriously. The video is fine as is. Don't go chasing perfection on it because odds are people will start picking nits at some other nuance on the new one. It's by far the best all grain video out there. Move on to other topics. I think you'll enjoy the editing on something fresh anyway.
I agree.

Do another short one on the pumps alone, if people want more info on that.

ma2brew said:
I agree.

Do another short one on the pumps alone, if people want more info on that.
+1 on some "focus" videos.

There are lots of (sub) subjects you could delve into to helps folks grasp the concept:

1) Close up view and demonstration of how your tun manifold/valve is constructed.
2) A look inside the kettle to see your pick-up system.
3) Maybe a (chalk board) illustration of how people without pumps can set up systems and let gravity do the work.
4) A yeast harvesting / washing episode.

great videos:mug: definitely got the "A HA!" effect from watching those. can't wait to convert from extract to all grain brewing

JoePolvino said:
I do plan on re-shooting, and would like to make it as correct as possible. So far, the errors that have been brought to my attention:

Any others? I want to try to make it as complete and correct as possible. Thanks.

-joe
Well, I think if you moved on to an HD camera, and maybe some light filters and reflectors, it would really improve the mood. Some CGI somewhere in there is always good, and it wouldn't hurt to have the part of "Joe" played by a better known celebrity, with maybe some cameos. :D

Brewing Clamper said:
Well, I think if you moved on to an HD camera, and maybe some light filters and reflectors, it would really improve the mood. Some CGI somewhere in there is always good, and it wouldn't hurt to have the part of "Joe" played by a better known celebrity, with maybe some cameos. :D
ya know I was thinking the same thing BUT... I didnt want to sound like an A$$ BAG LOL :D just kidding Clamper I got your point:cross:
JJ

JoePolvino said:

-joe

only thing i would add is a video of how you converted your cooler into a mash tun

I just wanted to bump this, I just watched it since I am moving to all grain, it was perfect, exactly what I needed to put all my reading into prospective. Thanks for a great video

Great video! I'm about to start my first AG brew (IPA from "Brewing Classic Styles), and now I've got the confidence that everything I've read and seen that I'm doing the right thing. Thanks again for the thorough video.

Cheers!!! :mug:

Back