HopinJim's Lug Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopinJim

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Nice, mild nutty flavor. Malt backbone really shines through with this one.
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Jim's Lug Nut Brown Ale V2.0
Brewer: Jim Gaskins
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0) This is the best batch of brown ale yet. Can't think of a thing to do to this recipe to improve it at this point! Smooth, yet flavorful and a nice nutty aftertaste. Mashed at a slightly higher temp, giving it a bit more body than previous batches. Malty, with just a kiss of hops. Definate keeper!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.96 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 19.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.9 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
4.0 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 29.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 7 0.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 2.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 3.41 gal of water at 167.3 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.01gal) of 168.0 F water

So here's my Lug Nut Brown. So far, this has been a big favorite of the folks around here. It's a tad darker than the typical nut brown, but is really tasty and seems to be a favorite of all my buds who like to come by and taste my latest creations. I've not yet entered it into a competition, but I'm thinking about it. If anyone chooses to try it, let me know what you think, PLEASE.

Just as an aside, I have done this recipe with all Williamette, all EKG, and this version, which is a combo (cuz that's what was in my freezer at the time). I also just did a batch with all Fuggles (yeah, Yoop, I know what you're thinking), and will report on how that goes. The previous ones were hardly different, so it will be interesting to see how it goes with the Fuggles, especially after seeing some of the commentary on here about that particular hop variety. But since the hops really take a back seat to the malt profile in this particular brew, I'm hoping that I don't regret the change...

Well, the all Fuggles version of this is pretty tasty as well. So I would say that one could use Fuggles, EKG or Williamette, you pick. I can't see a huge difference between any of them, except that the Fuggles does have an "earthier" flavor than the other two, but definitely doesn't "taste like dirt". Brewing another batch tomorrow, because this stuff doesn't stick around very long. Seems that me, my son and ALL my friends like this brew a lot, and my friends show up more often when this is on tap!

Back