1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last brew I had more boil of than past brews, so tonight I over compensated I guess. Did not hit my OG, and dumped a bunch that didn't fit in my fermenter. I guess it will be a easy drinking session beer.

You know, in a pinch, I've thrown overflow brew into an old 2 quart juice bottle.

1 gallon SMaSH recipes seems a treat for the simplicity and for training the palate. I keep brewing smaller and more frequently anyway so what are some good 1 gallon SMaSH recipes? Anyone?

1 gallon SMaSH recipes seems a treat for the simplicity and for training the palate. I keep brewing smaller and more frequently anyway so what are some good 1 gallon SMaSH recipes? Anyone?

I'm curious if anyone has ever found a smash recipe that wasn't good. Assuming you are using base malt and not doing something like a 100% crystal 60 grist.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
I'm curious if anyone has ever found a smash recipe that wasn't good. Assuming you are using base malt and not doing something like a 100% crystal 60 grist.

I think simple is underrated, I love SMaSH brews simple and as stated a great tool for training the palate

Indeed. If I can't screw it up, it's almost foolproof.
Pick a base malt, pick a hop, hard to get it wrong.

SMaSH's really work best when you make several of them. 2-row/Willamette, Maris Otter/Willamette, Vienna/Willamette and Munich/Willamette will tell you a lot about the different grains.

Then switch it around and do MO/Cascade, MO/Belma, MO/Nugget...

Then play with your hop schedule. Compare a 15 min addition to a 10 min to a whirlpool.

I just did a 2 row and tettnang, it's not finished yet but the preliminary tastes were terrible. Maybe i overdid the hops, maybe tettnang are just not as palatable as some of the other batches i've done.

Jsslack said:
I just did a 2 row and tettnang, it's not finished yet but the preliminary tastes were terrible. Maybe i overdid the hops, maybe tettnang are just not as palatable as some of the other batches i've done.

Do you use brewing software to calculate the IBU's? It is really easy to overdo it in a one gallon batch.

The first smash I made was American 2 row and cascade hops. 2 lbs 2row and cascade at 60,30,0 ibu to 30 using beersmith,Nottingham yeast. Primary for 2 weeks,cold crash 5 days and bottled carbed with 2tbs honey. It was amazing, every one I gave it to loved it. Smashes seem to be very pure and true to flavors.

This may seem like a dumb question. But I'm new to brewing n I was wondering what a "smash" is.

Allows you to isolate flavors of the malt and hop being used. Depending on hopping schedule, you can emphasize the flavor of a specific base malt, or emphasize the flavor of the hop.

Yep , smash is a Single Malt And Single Hop brew. You can vary one of the ingredients to get an idea what they do. In first smash I used 2 row and cascade with English ale yeast. Gave me a good idea what the mix was like. Now I really wanted to try a Vienna malt and northern brewer hop combo (I've heard good things) and just brewed it very light (1.6lbs Vienna malt and northern brewer to 16 ibu with Nottingham yeast).

Hey here's a question...

Through reading some discussions on HBT regarding satellite fermenters, I learned that they're not a good indicator as to when fermentation is complete, because the yeast can work through a smaller vessel - say an 8-ounce bottle - faster than they can 5 gallons of wort.

Does the same apply to these 1 or 1.5 gallon batches of brew? Do they typically ferment out quicker due to the generally-small volume of wort? So instead of sitting through a 3-week primary, as I normally do my 2.5 or 5 gallon batches, can I maybe drop down to 2 weeks and then go straight to the bottle?

Just curious everyone's thought on this...

Hey here's a question...

Through reading some discussions on HBT regarding satellite fermenters, I learned that they're not a good indicator as to when fermentation is complete, because the yeast can work through a smaller vessel - say an 8-ounce bottle - faster than they can 5 gallons of wort.

Does the same apply to these 1 or 1.5 gallon batches of brew? Do they typically ferment out quicker due to the generally-small volume of wort? So instead of sitting through a 3-week primary, as I normally do my 2.5 or 5 gallon batches, can I maybe drop down to 2 weeks and then go straight to the bottle?

Just curious everyone's thought on this...

Ive noticed sometimes it is faster but at the end of the day just trust your hydrometer

What's up what's up everyone. ...I may be doing a ciuoke small batches soon. Havent had time to get together with my buddy and finish the 10 gallon setup so I'm going to do some 1 gallon batches to keep beer in the pipeline

Almost moved into my new house. I already have a used chest freezer lined up to move in and convert to a fermentation chamber. I'm so ready to start brewing again!

What is everyone's method regarding yeast for 1 gallon batches? I have some washed yeast in my fridge in pint jars and am wondering how big of a starter I should use to wake up the yeast from dormancy? Or if you use liquid vials, how to you measure that out? Obviously you can weigh dry yeast fairly easily but I've been trying different liquid yeasts lately.

You can use the same yeast calculators that you'd use to determine the pitching rate on a 5 gal batch.

Do you use brewing software to calculate the IBU's? It is really easy to overdo it in a one gallon batch.

Yes, i did. It's not overly bitter just not a great flavor. I suppose i could try dialing it back a bit. Has anyone else ever tried a tettnang SMaSH? It's not a widely used hop and im thinking this might be why?

Jsslack said:
Yes, i did. It's not overly bitter just not a great flavor. I suppose i could try dialing it back a bit. Has anyone else ever tried a tettnang SMaSH? It's not a widely used hop and im thinking this might be why?

Personally, I'd just say that I've tried that one, make notes, and move on.

My recipe would have looked something like this:

Http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/smash-tett

With most of the hops on the end because I usually don't care how well a hop bitters. I want to see its flavor and aroma characteristics.

I've also tried a couple of 'whirlpool' beers lately, where all the hops that would be normally added after 60 minutes were added at flame out instead, then allowed to sit and steep for an hour before chilling. I really liked how they turned out so I might try something like that here also.

I recently racked from my larger primary carboy into separate 1 gallon jugs for some dry hop experimentation but I was a bit short on one of the gallons. How much head space is too much for secondary in a gallon jug? Its just under the bend where it starts to caper at the top, so id say its about 3.25 quarts full. Is that too much air space? I haven't noticed them kicking any air out of the airlock

So I have a blonde ale (1gallon) in the primary. I plan to rack to secondary with an addition of strawberries. How much strawberries should be added to the secondary? How long should they sit in there to achieve a decent flavor?
New to brewing n this is kind of an experiment n would like some suggestions/knowledge from you guys.
As always. Thank you in advance

I recently racked from my larger primary carboy into separate 1 gallon jugs for some dry hop experimentation but I was a bit short on one of the gallons. How much head space is too much for secondary in a gallon jug? Its just under the bend where it starts to caper at the top, so id say its about 3.25 quarts full. Is that too much air space? I haven't noticed them kicking any air out of the airlock
Racked what exactly? Different brews have different tendencies to oxidize. Since you said dry hop, I'm going to assume you mean beer. In which case it probably is a bit to much.

Yea, sorry. Racked an APA into secondary. I filled another jug to the brim with water and poured out a pint and it looked like about the same level so I had about a pints worth of airspace in the secondary. Does it need to be more like 3 oz of head space? Will this affect the flavor of the beer,or just the time in which it takes to go stale?

While its not great, I wouldn't worry too much if your only leaving it for a week or less. I used to do secondaries all the time and would have about that amount exposed...I'd dry hop for a week and bottle with no ill affects.

Big fan of smaller batches! Love this thread.

Just wanted to share this sexy little conical fermenter.
Brewdemon 2 Gallon Conical Fermenter

It is actually 3.125 total volume so you could do up to 2.5g batches. Would work well for 1g batches that are too active for smaller fermenters. It is just too cute so I am ordering one. :mug:

I just got mine and am thinking of giving it a spin this weekend on a double batch (2 gallon) Simcoe IPA from Brooklyn Brew.

My main concern is the airlock "cap" - this thing looks very iffy. Unfortunately the hole is too big for airlock stems, and a chunk of the biggest tubing I could find at my LHBS was just a bit undersized for the hole.

How has the airlock cap worked for those of you who have tried the Brewdemon? Has anyone else found an alternate solution that works?

I just got mine and am thinking of giving it a spin this weekend on a double batch (2 gallon) Simcoe IPA from Brooklyn Brew.

My main concern is the airlock "cap" - this thing looks very iffy. Unfortunately the hole is too big for airlock stems, and a chunk of the biggest tubing I could find at my LHBS was just a bit undersized for the hole.

How has the airlock cap worked for those of you who have tried the Brewdemon? Has anyone else found an alternate solution that works?
I don't have one of these, but it occured to me you could get some window gasket and wrap that around the inside of hole. Then put the tubing in that. The window stuff I'm thinking of is basically just a flexible rubber strip with a channel on one side.

I just finished my first brew in mine, I think you're talking about the little red plug for the hole an airlock goes in? I was a little concerned about it also but it fit tight and I didn't have a problem with it. If your talking about he big screw on cover, it's the same as the Mr. Beer's and those work just fine. Bottled up an APA I brewed in it this morning, it worked just fine. I'll post how they came out in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I just finished my first brew in mine, I think you're talking about the little red plug for the hole an airlock goes in? I was a little concerned about it also but it fit tight and I didn't have a problem with it. If your talking about he big screw on cover, it's the same as the Mr. Beer's and those work just fine. Bottled up an APA I brewed in it this morning, it worked just fine. I'll post how they came out in about 3 or 4 weeks.

No problem in the end. I stopped by Midwest Brewing and picked up a couple of small drilled plugs. One was a bit undersized (wouldn't take much to push it through the airlock hole. But the other worked fine - small end fit into the hole and snugged up nice. Got another airlock while I am at it.

My daughters want to help me make beer for Father's Day. I hear good things about the Simcoe IPA and will look forward to (hopefully) making enough to share with friends for a retreat weekend in August.

What's up one gallons brewers! Haven't been by in a while. Life's been busy! Just did a pipeline brew this morning 5 gallon double IPA and doing a small 1.25 gallon batch Habanero and Serrano pepper ale right now... Can't wait to try it! Cheers!

No problem in the end. I stopped by Midwest Brewing and picked up a couple of small drilled plugs. One was a bit undersized (wouldn't take much to push it through the airlock hole. But the other worked fine - small end fit into the hole and snugged up nice. Got another airlock while I am at it.

My daughters want to help me make beer for Father's Day. I hear good things about the Simcoe IPA and will look forward to (hopefully) making enough to share with friends for a retreat weekend in August.

Nice, I believe a #2 stopper is supposed to fit in it. Post and let us know how that IPA turns out, sounds tasty to me. Hope you and your daughters have fun and Happy Fathers day.

So thinking about going the one gallon brew rout for the price and the options of 12 packs I can make with out a case and a half of others. One day ill move to the big brew but think this is on the cards right now. Think I'm going to go with the northern brewer starter kit unless you guys know some better prices some where. Just getting started but have done lots of reading during the past year and a half getting excited because I'm finally going to be brewing

So thinking about going the one gallon brew rout for the price and the options of 12 packs I can make with out a case and a half of others. One day ill move to the big brew but think this is on the cards right now. Think I'm going to go with the northern brewer starter kit unless you guys know some better prices some where. Just getting started but have done lots of reading during the past year and a half getting excited because I'm finally going to be brewing
I like northerbrewer too. It isn't that the prices are that great, but they don't soak you on shipping like some sites do.

You know, doing 1 gallon and 5 gallon batches isn't an either or proposition. I do both on a regular basis.

Back