Adjustable Regulator or Needle Valve??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjulian

Reaction score
I have searched through the forum and can't seems to find much info on this subject. Is it better to control the propane gas with an adjustable regulator or a needle valve between the regulator and the burner? I have two 10" banjo burners and a 30 pound regulator with needle valves at the burners. Am I better off running two adj regulators and loosing the needle valves?

Also what acme connection needs to be used with the 10" burners? I was thinking the black connector was used for low pressure, the green for high pressure and the red for really big BTU applications. Am I correct in thinking that I would need the green connection at the tank?

I use a green tank connection, 1-30lb regulator, and needle valves at each burner.

Until I make the automation jump, the needle valve is essential for controlling burner output.

I got some feedback on this when I was planning my stand here

20121228_193838.jpg

Thanks for the input. I read through your post and I guess the 1/4" needle valve will cut the BTU output considerably. I guess I need to look for some 3/8" valves. The burner fittings are 3/8" so that would give me 1/2" pipe up to the needle valves and then 3/8 up to the burners.

That was the debate in that thread. Although it is 0.25" coming off the tank so technically flow is reduced right off the bat. My burners roar and I have zero issues with both output intensity and output control via needle valve, although I have not measured actual BTUs.

Edit: also, good luck finding 3/8" needle valves.

Here is my current set up. The valve is about 6-8 inches from the burner and is connected to the burner with 3/8" copper.

valve.jpg

I just did some quick research on high pressure regulator gas hose and it does seem that everything I can find is 1/4" id. This is now all making sense that all the needle valves I see being sold by the grill stores are 1/4".

Latest posts

Back