fermentation temp changing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
So I had a batch of IPA lose hop flavor and smell, I mean all of its hop flavor and smell after cold crashing my beer in the fridge for 3 days. When I checked on the beer on the 3rd day the air lock had almost all of the vodka sucked out of it into the beer and it was super frustrating. So, my question is, how can you lower the temp on your beers while in a fermenter without having this occur. I almost took my first stab at making a lager last weekend and I am fairly intimidated now. I use a 3 piece air lock for everything by the way.

Two-piece airlock for the win.

Don't know about your hops dilemma... conditioning definitely mellos and subdues the flavor. Maybe you just need to dry hop at this point.

Try to ignore that fill line on your three piece airlock.

If you fill it so that the bottom vents are barely covered the liquid suck back will be minimized and most likely eliminated. Now you will still pull in air into your ferment chamber.. that's a pressure thing.

i dont know what i did to my ipa to be honest. I pulled a gravity reading from it every other day for 6 days to make sure it was staying at the FG. IT was ready hoppy then though, i sampled each time. The airlock issue is what im thinking it has to be.

i dont know how just using a bung would hold over using buckets. do you think they would hold up?

i dont know how just using a bung would hold over using buckets. do you think they would hold up?

Not sure what you mean. My airlock goes in a drilled stopper (#8 I believe). When I cold crash, I replace that with a #8 solid stopper....this is in the lid of my bucket.

EDIT: I use bung and stopper interchangeably

Back