Third small batch gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coreysparks

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been reading the forums for a while but this is my first post. I've made 2 2 gallon batches of AG homebrew, and just put my third into bottles today, an india brown ale. My question is about it.
Here is my recipe:

3.6 lb Pale Malt (2 row)
.8 lb Crystal 20 L
.4 lb Victory malt
.2 lb Munich malt
.25 lb Chocolate malt

.2 oz Colombus at 60 min
.2 oz Cascade @ 45, 30 , 15 and flameout
1 pkg of Safale US -05 dry yeast pitched at 72 f

I mashed @152 for 60 min in 1.75 gal using a BIAB, drained the wort back into my brewpot and and sparged the grain in 2 gal H20 @ 170 f for 10 minutes.

I had a 3.1 gal pre boil volume

Boiled for 60 minutes, and had a post boil volume of ~2.3 gal.

I measured post boil OG to be 1.047, which Beersmith put at the middle for an IPA style.

I poured the wort into 2 1 gallon carboys (all I have right now)
I pitched the yeast @ 72 f
I aerated by shaking the fermentors for 1 minute each an put on my blow off tubes and put into a swamp cooler setup I have

I fermented between 70-74 degrees (within the range for the yeast, and I live in San Antonio, it was hard to get consistently below 70) for 14 days in primary (glass carboys)

Took it out today to bottle, and measured 1.029 FG, which really seemed high to me.

I bottled using 6 tbs of honey and 1 cup of water.

I guess I am just asking, what the hell did I do wrong? too large a sparge? the wort I put into bottles tasted great, really caramely and nice hop, which is what I was kid of looking for but the FG seems really high, maybe I had a stuck fermentation?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

That is at least 15 points high for a IPA. Are you sure your hydrometer is correct. Put it in some 60* water and make sure it reads at 1.000.
If it does that sounds like a stuck fermentation to me and there's not much to do if you bottled it already.

I used the temp corrections in Palmer's book because I measured the OG @ 90f and the FG at 72 f, so I had some corrections, at room temp, the hydrometer says 1.000. as you say its too late now, at least it tastes good

As far as what went wrong I agree with inhousebrew, it sounds like a stuck fermentation. Either that or the mash didn't fully convert, but for such a low attenuation that seems unlikely. IMO you'll want to watch those bottles carefully seeing seeing as they may be potential bottle bombs. Bottling can sometimes reawaken the yeast and restart fermentation, so it may be a good idea to open one every few days to make sure they are not becoming overcarbonated and at a risk of exploding.

You could have also had a packet of yeast that was not very viable. How was it stored and did you take note of the use or packaging date of it? Did you rehydrate the yeast or direct pitch from the pack?

Something's not right, did it taste really sweet? If those readings are true I agree with SixStrings, I'd be careful of bottle bombs.

Is that efficiency what you got on your other batches? OG of 1.047 looks really low for that recipe at 2.3 gallons - like 58%. And that's not in range for an IPA, Beersmith uses BJCP which for an American IPA would be 1.056-1.075.

I will be sure to watch the bb situation I've got them covered and surrounded right now.

The yeast was right from the packet, and the use by date was next November so I thought it would be ok, I want to move to liquid yeasts but these were some that I had from some 1 gal kits for an ipa and I wanted to use them.

Is it possible that i put in too much choc malt and had too few fermentables? I know that choc is for color and flavor, and has low fermentation value

It was sweet but not overly sweet if that makes sense. I didn't use a hydrometer on my other batches so I can't say how I was doing, but the other two tasted good and did not blow on me.

Your crystal plus chocolate is 19%, I wouldn't consider that excessive for a brown. S-05 should have done a better job than that - 37% attenuation would be way low for any ale yeast. Have you calibrated your mash thermometer?

I use an instant read digital thermometer for mash, I hadn't read anything about calibrating those.

+1 to calibrating the thermometer. I don't know if it could be responsible for such a low attenuation unless it was severely off but it might explain the efficiency. This thread explains pretty simply how to do it. I'd recommend using both methods.

Did you check to see if the FG was the same over the period of a few days? If you only checked it the one time before bottling that still makes me think it's probably stuck fermentation.

Good point on the thermometer

I didn't do multiple readings, the recipe I used said a 14 day primary then bottle, guess i will chalk this one up to measuring vs. believing recipes

Measuring for sure. You may know this already but the general rule for testing whether a beer is finished fermenting is to record FG readings a few days apart, and if the number stays the same then it's done fermenting. Additional time in the fermentor rarely hurts though.

If you do happen to notice that your bottles are becoming over-carbed, chill them down in the fridge to prevent any additional carbonation from occurring. They may not be ideal, but it'll save you from having to clean up a foamy mess. :)

Back