My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good w/ the plate reinforcement....I'm lazy therefore spaced the screws out at the maximum. Those HD buckets are a bit thin.

HPIM0572.jpg

Got my corona mill in the mail, and just picked up a 50lb bag of 2-row and a 50lb bag of Vienna. Gonna have to rig me up some ugly junk so I can start milling and brewing!

If I am currently only using steeping grains, do I even need to rig anything up? I'm only rolling maybe 1-2 lbs worth of grain generally. I just bought this mill as it's cheap and should do what I need it for. My only thing is I may replace that cotter pin, it looks rough and I don't know how good of a job itself doing. I also didn't get a shroud near the wheels.

If I am currently only using steeping grains, do I even need to rig anything up? I'm only rolling maybe 1-2 lbs worth of grain generally. I just bought this mill as it's cheap and should do what I need it for. My only thing is I may replace that cotter pin, it looks rough and I don't know how good of a job itself doing. I also didn't get a shroud near the wheels.

I cut out a milk jug (cut the top off, then cut a slit lengthwise about halfway down) and wedged it over the grinding plates. It does a fine job, FWIW.

If I am currently only using steeping grains, do I even need to rig anything up?

Only if you want to IMO...if you get a lousy crush, send it through again. When you start w/ AG and larger grain bills, motorizing and setting the mill pays dividends...but for just a pound or so...RDWHAHB

If you are grinding outside, then who really cares about a bit of dust and a few stray flying grain bits...but if you are inside or in a finished basement, making a mess is just more work to clean up, and not a preferred option.

into_bucket.jpg

Besides the feed screw that brad is talking about above..some people also tweek it by adding some washers where the plate is attached by the wingnuts on each side.

042207-008.jpg

I don't know if you can see but the washers are shiny in this picture above.

I like that set-up where the adjuster is all the way in and you just add washers instead. It beats guessing. I have browsed about 11 pages and didn't see the size of those washers, do you recall as I know this thread is dated...? I have a True Value about a mile away.

I also want to get rid of the cotter pin but fear I may F that up so may leave as is for now.

Slowly rigging my mill up. Hope to use it the next time I brew (all I need is steeping grains though).

Some mills need to use washers others don't. Washers are used if the mill cannot be adjusted outward and only provides a flour type crush. If the mill can be adjusted, the washers are not needed. The washers provide range for adjustment, they are not the adjustment...the threaded adjustment is still used to fine tune.

Attached is the crush I got for Caramel 10. If too fine, please advise.

If I can get that cotter pin off I think I need to replace that. The spin wheel seems too wobbly.

Once I rig my entire mill up, I will post pics.

IMAG0783.jpg

Checking your crush w/ crystal malt is not the best idea as crystal malts are roasted and easily broken...aka friable. It is not really a bad thing if the mill plate wobbles and is loose, just tighten the mill down until all the grains are broken...NO WHOLE PIECES OF GRAIN...it's that simple. What you show is not too fine IMHO.

If you have a bad crush...repeat.

Checking your crush w/ crystal malt is not the best idea as crystal malts are roasted and easily broken...aka friable. It is not really a bad thing if the mill plate wobbles and is loose, just tighten the mill down until all the grains are broken...NO WHOLE PIECES OF GRAIN...it's that simple. What you show is not too fine IMHO.

If you have a bad crush...repeat.

Well right now majority of the grains I will be crushing are crystal/caramel malts and just grains that can be steeped. I guess if I'm getting the crush I need I don't necessarly have to replace the cotter pin, etc. The only thing I want to do now is create something to where the grain doesn't fly. I'm probably going to mill in my basement and don't want to create an environment that may welcome rodents (i.e. grain on the floor).

see link below for mounting your mill in a bucket...works well for milling indoors w/out making a mess IME.

took your idea and ran with it...i like the idea of pulling the grinder out all at once and having a pail of crushed grain plus it takes up the same amount of space.
just finished tnite so i still have the stock hopper planing on getting a 5 gallon
72c1mq.jpg

who8ly.jpg

sry for the crooked picture haven't posted pics to a forum in years

Got the mill last week, picked up a pair of white HD buckets over the weekend, and threw it together when I got home from work tonight (with a homebrew pale ale giving an admirable assist).

I decided to leave the included hopper connected to the mill, and set it low enough that I can snap the lid on the bucket. I will be picking up a 5gal water jug soon, and will use the water for my next batch of beer. once the jug is soon, I will cut the bottom out and use it as a grain hopper, as shown previously in this thread.

I used 3 blocks of 2x4 screwed to near the bottom of the bucket to support it on top of the second bucket. The bottom of the mill bucket is completely cut out so the grain can fall into the second, collection bucket.

I will be going by the hardware store tomorrow to pick up a metric bolt so that I can use a drill to drive the mill. The way the buckets I used are formed, I can't use the included hand crank.

001.jpg

004.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

Where is the cheapest place online now to get these mills? I need something easier to crush my specialty grains.

The way the buckets I used are formed, I can't use the included hand crank.

I had to cut off a good portion of the lower bucket's flare to get the crank to still work. Which was a good thing because I had a drill issue one day and strike was heating, some grain already crushed, etc.

You guys who have lids on the top, just a word of caution that may or may not apply to everyone...I have had to adjust the gap settings on the fly at times depending on kernel size, speed, etc. Especially if you grind multiple different grains at once. I constantly check the crush and tweak if needed. Reason being is twice now I've had grain that was uncrushed, maybe 5% of the bill, and either had to run it back through or get crappy efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are getting way to technical to still fall under "ugly junk"! I aint got no lid or containment bucket! I still tie a trash bag around the grinding plates of my Corona. It's a fun little dance trying to keep the grinding plates from grabbing the bag, but that's what makes it ugly junk! Then I just pick up the bag and dump'er in to the MLT! :ban:

Cheers friends! :mug:

It's a fun little dance trying to keep the grinding plates from grabbing the bag

I do have a bucket, but use a garbage bag over the top of the whole shebang to keep the dust and flying barley in. My latest brewday involved some extra work when my bag got wrapped around the outer grinding plate's tightening rod thing (very technical description I know). Had to pick shreds of plastic out of the grist after cutting the tightly-wound plastic off. All part of the adventure, I suppose. :rolleyes:

You guys are getting way to technical to still fall under "ugly junk"! I aint got no lid or containment bucket! I still tie a trash bag around the grinding plates of my Corona. It's a fun little dance trying to keep the grinding plates from grabbing the bag, but that's what makes it ugly junk! Then I just pick up the bag and dump'er in to the MLT! :ban:

Cheers friends! :mug:

No lid here, either. I have a modified milk jug over the plates to keep it all channeled downward. And even though it's mostly a hands-free operation, the use of a milk-crate, 2x4's, two bungee cords, 5gal buckets and a water jug makes it plenty ugly-junk, me thinks.

I got the one from discount tommy but I think I got free shipping on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built this bucket-topper for my corona mill. It doesn't keep 100% of the grain in the bucket but does a reasonable job. Fun to build!

Rico's right, it fails the ugly junk test. It's too pretty. BUT it wins whatever award I could bestow for sheer coolness!!!!!!! Dude, I bet you could sell those, and have corona owners lining up to order it.:mug:

Here's my ugly junk.

THIS on the other hand wins the Ugly Junk category for the month of October!:rockin:

Revvy said:
THIS on the other hand wins the Ugly Junk category for the month of October!:rockin:

Awesome. I knew I'd win. That milling station is a result of an AHS shipping box and an unwillingness to buy buckets.

Thanks Revvy. Not just for the compliments on the corona stand, but for all the help you have unknowingly given this long time lurker over the years!

Latest posts

Back