Dry hop question when using large amounts of pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wskee

Reaction score
I have brewed a handful of beers and I am getting ready to dry hop a Surly Furious clone. The 8oz of pellets are more than I ever used to dry hop and I am wondering if I should use a small hop bag or just pour them in?

I have never dry hopped with more than 2oz of pellets and always just poured them right in the carboy but with such a large amount, I am wondering if I should dry a hop bag to contain them. Thanks for any advice!

I add pellets no bag,when the dry hop schedule is done.
I cold crash for 2 days..Then tie un-used "Sanitized" hop bag to end of siphon .
This has worked out pretty well.

That is a lot of dry hops. I would bag them, it will be much easier to handle that way.

I'd like to see the bag that can contain the amount of vegetable matter produced by soaking 8 oz of hop pellets and yet at the same time still fit through the neck of a carboy.
;)

I cloned Surly Abrasive by accident one day and I did not use 1.6 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer for a whopping 8.00 oz.

I used 0.75 oz. dryhops per gallon for a total of 3.75 oz. in a 5 gallon batch. This is the rate at which Pliny the Elder is dryhopped, and that beer has more aroma than Furious. Therefore, I don't think the 8 oz. figure is accurate for the real beer. If the real Furious has 8.00 oz. dryhops in a 5 gallon batch, then what does the real Abrasive have?

Dump them in and after a week put the carboy in a fridge for 2-3 days. I don't even bother with putting the bag on the auto siphon. I just use some sanitized aluminum foil that's been folded a couple of times to wedge the auto siphon in the neck of the carboy and keep it a little off the bottom. Getting the cold beer makes the hop particles sink to the bottom and compact pretty good.

If you can cold crash, just toss them in without a bag, they will settle out really well.

If you can get whole cone, that would be better, just feed them in the carboy. ;)

Bags might be cleaner, but in the end, you'll still end up with some hop particles with pellets.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to put them in loose and try to cold crash it. That seems to be the easiest thing.
I purchased the kit from NB and the mix for dry hopping came pre-packed in that amount. It should be interesting to see how this works out!

The cold crash does not drop out the hop particles... only the yeast. As previously stated, the best advice is to avoid agitation and let time and gravity do its job.

Back