Clone Beer Belgium Style Yeti Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conor60

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
wondering
Belgian Style Yeti Imperial Stout Clone

Batch Size: 5 gallon
OG = 1.090 FG = 1.018
IBU = 75 SRM = 98 ABV = 9.3%

Ingredients:

13 lb Belgian Pale Ale
2.00 lb German Munich Malt
1 lb Belgian Special B
.5 lb Black Patent
.5 lb Belgian Debittered Black Malt
.5 lb Belgian Chocolate Malt
.5 lb English Black Malt

1.00 lb flaked barely

1lb D-180 Candi Syrup

1.0 oz Chinook hops 60 min
1.0 oz Chinook hops 30 min
0.5 oz Centenial hops 15 min
0.5 oz Centenial hops 5 min

Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout

Looks nice. I made a very similar beer last year (I used the BYO Yeti clone grain bill) but used wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast.

It is my favorite beer I have ever brewed!

I made this before and loved it. It's been a few years now, though. I'm thinking of doing up a similar version that's not quite imperial-, but foreign extra-strength. I've got baby #2 due in January and think that'd be closer to ready fro celebration's sake.

I made this before and loved it. It's been a few years now, though. I'm thinking of doing up a similar version that's not quite imperial-, but foreign extra-strength. I've got baby #2 due in January and think that'd be closer to ready fro celebration's sake.

I am going to brew this in two weeks.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/12542/yeti-clone-ver-20

Have all the grains and hops already weighed out and was going to brew it with a few packs of US-05.

Then I was doing an inventory last night and saw that I have a pack of Bell Saison dry yeast (same strain as 3711) that is out of date since last November.

Not sure if I should stick with the US-05 or use up the Bell Saison.
I read somewhere that with the Saison yeast it will end up around 1.007 and be too roasty because there is not enough malt backbone to support all the roasted malt.

However some others are saying it turns out great.

What to do?

I am going to brew this in two weeks.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/12542/yeti-clone-ver-20

Have all the grains and hops already weighed out and was going to brew it with a few packs of US-05.

Then I was doing an inventory last night and saw that I have a pack of Bell Saison dry yeast (same strain as 3711) that is out of date since last November.

Not sure if I should stick with the US-05 or use up the Bell Saison.
I read somewhere that with the Saison yeast it will end up around 1.007 and be too roasty because there is not enough malt backbone to support all the roasted malt.

However some others are saying it turns out great.

What to do?

BS finished at 1.004 for me. I wish it did have a bit more body, but I think it's still pretty good. Baby is due today, so hopefully I'll being trying one again soon!

Back