Palmer's Lady Liberty Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying Palmer's Lady Liberty APA next batch and have an ingredient question. The recipe calls for two 3.3 lb. cans of pale LME. My LHBS carries Alexander's Pale LME but their cans are 4 lbs each.

So should I follow the recipe and measure out the correct amount or just use the extra 1.4 lbs in the batch?

I guess I could always use something like Munton's Light LME but worry it would alter the taste profile?

Thoughts?

Perhaps the better question is - what do you have to lose? That's (IMHO) the beauty of homebrewing. Will it be slightly more alcoholic? I imagine so. But who cares?

Unless you have some vested interest in making it exactly like the book, I'd say just throw the whole thing in, and call it a special limited edition brew :)

I would increase the hops a little to compensate for the extra malt and maintain the balance of the brew. Having made it this way (AG with extra 2-row and extra hops, but in the original proportions) I can say that it's a pretty tasty brew. Enjoy! :mug:

Sky7 I agree. The limited edition brew sounds like a fabulous idea! I tried this brew at a recent meeting of my local homebrew club and it was blow-you-away fantastic.

The fellow who brewed it wasn't at the meeting but we emailed back and forth. He couldn't remember the exact LME he used and it's driving me crazy!!

Looking more and more like an improvised batch is in the works........ Onward!

I would increase the hops a little to compensate for the extra malt and maintain the balance of the brew. Having made it this way (AG with extra 2-row and extra hops, but in the original proportions) I can say that it's a pretty tasty brew. Enjoy! :mug:

pernox, would a program like beersmith scale the other recipe ingredients based on increasing the LME? I'm totally unfamiliar with the software....

Had a taste of the Lady Liberty Pale Ale after only two weeks in the bottle and am happy to report it was fantastic. Can't wait to see how it ages.

I followed Palmer's recipe with the only exception I used two 4 lb cans of Alexander's Pale LME instead of the 3.3 lb cans. The result was a little maltier brew and bit more ABV. Oh, I pitched a 1000ml starter of White Labs WLP001 (decanted) and kept in the primary for 14 days before bottling. 1 cup of dextrose for priming.

Cheers!

This is my next brew actually, good to hear positive feedback on it. I went with 3.5 and 3.5 (my LHBS confuses too easy to go less than half pounds, lol) and Safele US-05. Looking forward to the results.

Hey I just bottled this beer yesteday, can't wait for two to four weeks to pass in order to try it the way it should be. I had a few swallows of it though yesterday and it was quite tasty.

I used DME which my LHBS sells in 3lb bags, the conversion is about 5.28 lbs of DME for 6.6 lbs of LME so I just took out half a pound of DME which I'll use for bottling or something. I also used Chinook for the bittering hop and it came out really well. I do wish I had dry hopped it with the Cascade but that totally slipped my mind.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'd be interested on how your batches turn out especially with whatever modifications. This is such a great recipe I can't believe I overlooked it for so long.

BlackBearForge let me know what you think of the DME ratios. I'm going to try a DME version next.

Prost!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'd be interested on how your batches turn out especially with whatever modifications. This is such a great recipe I can't believe I overlooked it for so long.

BlackBearForge let me know what you think of the DME ratios. I'm going to try a DME version next.

Prost!

Well the final gravity pretty much came in right on target for the style (around 1.012) so it must have been close. The sample I had at bottling seemed really good but I'm not sure I would have noticed if I had just used all of both 3lb bags of light DME. The sample was a bit sweet from the priming sugar so we'll find out in a few weeks!

pernox, would a program like beersmith scale the other recipe ingredients based on increasing the LME? I'm totally unfamiliar with the software....

I'm sorry that I never replied to this - I just saw the thread turn active again yesterday!

It looks like you nailed it though. :mug:

For future reference, I like HopVille; it's free, and not as intricate as BS.

http://hopville.com/

i'll be doing this soon also but i'm thinking adding .5 oz of Cascade in flameout.

That would be tasty. I think I'll be dry hopping my next batch with a little Cascade. :)

I'm sorry that I never replied to this - I just saw the thread turn active again yesterday!

It looks like you nailed it though. :mug:

For future reference, I like HopVille; it's free, and not as intricate as BS.

http://hopville.com/

No problem. I grabbed a copy of BeerSmith when it went on sale recently. Nice app but takes a little while to get use too. Finally, figured out how to do the LME to DME conversion.

I'll check out hopville too.

Now where did I lay that bottle opener?........

I had my first taste of this brew last night (bottled on 9/27) and it had carbed up nicely though it had a bit of chill haze since I had only popped the one test bottle in the fridge just the night before. Came out really tasty! Far better than I had hoped for. (A friend and SWMBO thought so too.) This beer won't be long for the world when it is finished bottle conditioning!:mug:

For the bittering hop I used .5 oz of 14% Chinook instead of the .5 oz of 11% Northern Brewer the recipe called for and the Chinook-Cascade combination seems to work really well. I also used US-05 also instead of the WLP0001, but I believe that's the same yeast strain. I've got good hopes now for the other recipes from the book I am brewing!

Great! Thanks for the taste review. I'll keep that hop combination in mind for future batches. This Pale Ale has quickly become my favorite so far.

BTW, a friend emailed me a couple days ago and swore the "best" beer he ever made was the John Palmer's "Port O' Palmer" recipe (p. 223).

Cheers!

Great! Thanks for the taste review. I'll keep that hop combination in mind for future batches. This Pale Ale has quickly become my favorite so far.

BTW, a friend emailed me a couple days ago and swore the "best" beer he ever made was the John Palmer's "Port O' Palmer" recipe (p. 223).

Cheers!

Hey, I'm bottling my batch of Port O' Palmer this weekend!

Amazing!!! Keep me posted on the tasting.

This is so cool........

Well didn't get to bottle the porter either of the past two weekends but that's ok.

Well, my first beer, the Lady Liberty PA is now beginning to be ready for drinking and I'm having a few issues with my version. While pretty tasty, I'm getting a strong, very spicey almost peppery taste (perhaps from the yeast?). This is from a 22 oz bomber that conditioned at room temp for two weeks and then sat in the fridge for a week. These bombers may just need twice as much conditioning time before drinking. I have some 12 oz bottles in the fridge now that have been conditioning at room temp for three weeks, we'll see how they are doing when they've been in the fridge at the very least 48 hours. Still, even green, I wouldn't have expected such a spicey note from US-05 (if it is indeed a yeast flavor as I kept the temps in the Cube cooler at an even 65-68 degrees the entire first week of fermentation), I'm curious now about the Chinook I used for bittering as well for the spicey taste.

I may have to brew another batch soon of this same beer only sticking closer Palmer's recipe as a base line for comparison.

Very interesting BlackBearForge.

I've never used Chinook hops but understand they impart a herbal almost smokey flavor when dry hopped. I tend to confuse "smokey" with "peppery".

The US05 may have played a part. All I know is using a liquid yeast starter has really improved my batches lately. Think my next brew session will focus on tweaking the IBU's. All in all I'm very happy.

Good luck with your next batch.

Prost!

Brought some of the Lady Liberty Ale to my local brew club meeting and it got rave reviews. It's a keeper!

The only thing I changed from the original recipe was adding 2- four lb. cans of Alexander's Pale Liquid Extract instead of 3.3 lb cans.

Yummy!

This will be my 6th batch I've brewed, and I really enjoy the ease of brewing pale ales. I'm gonna give this a try on my next batch.

Couple questions, and any help much appreciated. The recipe says 3.3 lbs. of pale malt extract at knockout. Does "knockout" mean when you are done with the boil? If so, that means you are only adding the malt when you are cooling it down? Why not just add it all to the boil?

Back