Dry hopping in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I have a question:

Seems like a lot of different methods to dry hopping. A lot put in a boiled / sanitized mesh bag into the secondary.

Can i do this in the primary? I was not planning on using a secondary.

Also, I've read of some putting weights in the bag to keep it off the surface. Is this an adviseable practice? What does it accomplish?

Thanks.

I rarely use a secondary any more (I have a brett olde ale going in mine right now for 4 months, with another several months to go, so I have no free secondary at the moment)

I use a sanitized hop bag (i like the 1 time use disposable cheese cloth bags, and in a pinch I've used grocery store cheese cloth to fashion a hop sack) with a few glass marbles added to the bag. This sinks bag to bottom and hops get exposed to flat beer on all sides not just floating on top.

I also use a piece of un flavored waxed dental floss run from hop bag over lip of bucket (sealed under lid) and out of bucket to make retrieving hop bag easier before racking.

No problem with dry hopping in primary. You could just dump them in, but I like to use a mesh bag so they're easier to pull out at the end.

No problem with dry hopping in primary. You could just dump them in, but I like to use a mesh bag so they're easier to pull out at the end.

Ditto, and less clogging of racking cane if I use whole leaf hops

Also been trying to keep my trub as clean as possible, last few batches I've been washing my yeast, 3711 French Saison, and Thames Valley II

I rarely use a secondary any more (I have a brett olde ale going in mine right now for 4 months, with another several months to go, so I have no free secondary at the moment)

I use a sanitized hop bag (i like the 1 time use disposable cheese cloth bags, and in a pinch I've used grocery store cheese cloth to fashion a hop sack) with a few glass marbles added to the bag. This sinks bag to bottom and hops get exposed to flat beer on all sides not just floating on top.

I also use a piece of un flavored waxed dental floss run from hop bag over lip of bucket (sealed under lid) and out of bucket to make retrieving hop bag easier before racking.

Looks like a winner. Do you just sanitize in star san?

I just give the bag or cheesecloth a quick boil in a small pot on the stove, Let it cool down add marbles and hops tie off with dental floss and "sploosh" in it goes. with floss coming out from under lid.

After done dry hopping I cut a small hole in bag, retrieve the marbles and chuck the bag.

simple. no cleaning bag after use. I like starsan on hard surfaces & hoses... I still boil soft items like bags that come in contact w/ beer.

Just wait for the primary fermentation to finish so the CO2 won't blow out your hop aroma.

I dry-hop virtually every batch in primary (I no-chill, so some of the hop adjustments inevitably convert to dry-hop). I just throw the hops in, but I do cold crash and sometimes use gelatin to achieve clarity.

+ plus on to the end of primary. The explusion of CO2 during fermentation my cause you to lose of the aromatics from the dry hopping. Plus if you do it at the start the cones could end up in the kreusen and clog things up if the foam gets to high. Read that clog you blow off tube or airlock

I just dump hop pellets into the fermenter. I never use secondary fermentation vessels.

3-4 weeks of fermentation in the same vessel. Throw dry hop pellets into the vessel for the last week.

Back