What is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socinus

Reaction score
A friend of mine introduced me to a small selection of bottles with his own creations in them. However Im a little wary about some of this stuff.

What did he make and is it safe to drink?

Bottle One- Made with warm sugar-water and active dry yeast. It was allowed to fermet for about three days then run through several stacked coffee filters. It was then poured into a bottle (Un-opened since brewing) along with two drops of blue food coloring.

Bottle Two- Same as bottle one but with a little honey added in during fermenting.

Now I now what he wanted to make, but I want to know what he actually DID make and if its useful for anything along the lines of drinking.

Sounds like he made some cheap prison hooch. I wouldn't touch it, I'm even in college. If it would be safe to drink, I don't know, it depends on how well sanitized his/her equipment was. It is better and proably cheaper to go get somebody over 21 to buy you some cheap vodka than do what your friend is doing.

I'm guessing that it's probably safe to drink, but that it will taste absolutely horrible. Fermented table sugar has a terrible flavor all by itself. But the blue food coloring thing is cracking me up.

Torchiest said:
I'm guessing that it's probably safe to drink, but that it will taste absolutely horrible. Fermented table sugar has a terrible flavor all by itself. But the blue food coloring thing is cracking me up.
Drink it and let us know!!!!!

Torchiest said:
Fermented table sugar has a terrible flavor all by itself.
He used powdered sugar if that makes any difference

But the blue food coloring thing is cracking me up.
He said his end result was a little cloudy and looked kinda scary so he added food coloring

This made me chuckle. Interesting take on home brew.

I doubt that it will do any harm but I also doubt that it will taste particularly nice :p

Let us know when / if you try it.

I have made batches of cider using cheap juice and bread yeast. I have also made some of those "Vodka" kits which can be a bit odd :confused: 20% and I don't really know what I'm tasting :drunk:

I do prefer my Coopers and Muntons kits though :mug:

He's done what distillers do but with out the distilling. He's playing at making spirits.
How old is this mate?
Please do not tell him about this place!!!!!!

He's basically made crap alcohol. Tell him to buy methylated spirit and filter it. NO on second thoughts he'd probably be daft enough to do it.

Nice, dude. (chortling...) Zima...

Yeah... tell him if he wants to play around with honey, he should get to making Mead. I would NOT, however, drink the "just sugar and yeast" - it just sounds funk-tastic.

"A friend of mine" likes to shoplift.

"A friend of mine" is depressed.

"A friend of mine" is getting sued. Can you help me...uh...him?

"A friend of mine" is bi-curious.

"A friend of mine" made some hooch with sugar and yeast.

This is fun. :ban:

Just poking fun at your choice of words. I'm thinking I'd avoid drinking the sugar yeasty funk. Well, maybe a sip or two just so you can tell him that you tried it. ;)

There's the old/new chestnut.....

If you're in the US and you are asking for advice about drinking alcohol then PLEASE do us the courtesy of at least lying about your age!!!!!!

Socinus said:
A friend of mine introduced me to a small selection of bottles with his own creations in them. However Im a little wary about some of this stuff.

What did he make and is it safe to drink?

Bottle One- Made with warm sugar-water and active dry yeast. It was allowed to fermet for about three days then run through several stacked coffee filters. It was then poured into a bottle (Un-opened since brewing) along with two drops of blue food coloring.

Bottle Two- Same as bottle one but with a little honey added in during fermenting.

Now I now what he wanted to make, but I want to know what he actually DID make and if its useful for anything along the lines of drinking.

Is your friend's name Makingitgood by any chance?

Holy crap!

Speaking of crap...the only difference between this stuff and real prison hooch is the fermenting vessel (toilet). Unless he made it in the toilet. Now THAT would authentic PH.

fezzman said:
"A friend of mine" likes to shoplift.

"A friend of mine" is depressed.

"A friend of mine" is getting sued. Can you help me...uh...him?

"A friend of mine" is bi-curious.

"A friend of mine" made some hooch with sugar and yeast.

This is fun. :ban:

Just poking fun at your choice of words. I'm thinking I'd avoid drinking the sugar yeasty funk. Well, maybe a sip or two just so you can tell him that you tried it. ;)

Look, if someone is clueless enough to wonder, publicly, whether he should drink this stuff, then I'd say he's clueless enough not to know to use the whole "a friend of mine" tactic. :D In other words, if he's cognizant enough to attempt to hide himself from embarrassment by claiming a friend made it, then I doubt he'd be asking in the first place.

Evan! said:
Look, if someone is clueless enough to wonder, publicly, whether he should drink this stuff, then I'd say he's clueless enough not to know to use the whole "a friend of mine" tactic. :D In other words, if he's cognizant enough to attempt to hide himself from embarrassment by claiming a friend made it, then I doubt he'd be asking in the first place.

Like I said, I was just having fun with his choice of words. ;) ;) I followed that up with my opinion on drinking the stuff.

Curious, what does EAC stand for? *blush*

fezzman said:
Like I said, I was just having fun with his choice of words. ;) ;) I followed that up with my opinion on drinking the stuff.

Curious, what does EAC stand for? *blush*

Elitist Ass-C*nt. It's one o' them inside jokes. A few weeks back, some eurotrash college kid came on here asking whether his sugar water fermented with bread yeast, or some such prison hooch, was okay, since it's really cloudy and all. The forum crew tried to help him out, but some people just told him to toss the stuff and actually, you know, read up on this subject before diving in headfirst. For that, they were called elitist ass-c*nts by this smarmy little bastard. Anyway, I think it was either bird or cheese who took that ball and ran with it. Now it's a badge of honor. Since I wasn't actually involved in that thread, I'm merely their patron saint. :rockin:

That kind of thing happens a lot at fightingarts.com.

Someone will sign up, and ask a bunch of experienced, knowledgable martial artists what the best book is to learn MA from.

When we tell them that you can't really learn from a book, that you need an actual instructor to teach you, they get mad, and say we don't know what we're talking about. "You mean I actually have to WORK at it? You guys suck! You're just jealous... etc." :mad:

This usually comes from the VTG's (Virtual Tough Guys) who want to impress us with stories of all the epic fights they've been in. ("I'm not even allowed to spar anymore, because my skills are too deadly") :drunk:

It takes all kinds, I guess. :)

With me I just get a little deflated when people think they can make good beer (or even just beer) with crap ingredients and no knowledge.
I like to help people help themselves.
I've experienced too many people who either want you to do it for them and are not willing to learn from what you do for them or are not really interested in a quality end product. If that makes me an EAC then I'll go with that.

Zombie Zero said:
It takes all kinds, I guess. :)

No, wrong. It doesn't take all kinds. This world would be JUST fine without a whole bunch of kinds. Like the jerkasses in the front of the line who make a left turn at an intersection when the light turns green and cut off the people on the opposite side who are going straight, just because he's too much of an impatient ******* to wait his turn and yield to those who have the right of way.

We'd be fine with those kinds. :D

Virginia drivers on a whole are model drivers compared to the ones centered around Charlottesville, or the ones in New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Thanks for the explanation, Evan. :mug:

Since the topic has turned to the hopeful elimination of bad drivers, I've got a group to nominate. My vote goes to the people who stop their car, in the middle of the street, to let you pull out of a parking lot. They'll just stop there and wave you on, like they are doing you a favor by giving up their right of way. Good intentions I suppose. Hey, maybe I'm an EAC after all. :D

fezzman said:
Thanks for the explanation, Evan. :mug:

Since the topic has turned to the hopeful elimination of bad drivers, I've got a group to nominate. My vote goes to the people who stop their car, in the middle of the street, to let you pull out of a parking lot. They'll just stop there and wave you on, like they are doing you a favor by giving up their right of way. Good intentions I suppose. Hey, maybe I'm an EAC after all. :D

People who try to be nice but do so by violating the rules of the road - letting other people pull out like that, or not taking their turn at a stop sign - are good intentioned but ultimately make the road much more dangerous for everybody else. Let's beat up them nice folks :D

obviously you all haven't been clued in that turn signals do not come standard in all cars. They are upgrades and cost more. That is why so few people have them.:(

A friend of mine's 'manhood' is so huge that it scares some women and is giving him a complex. What should he do?

Rhoobarb said:
A friend of mine's 'manhood' is so huge that it scares some women and is giving him a complex. What should he do?

You can say my name, you don't have to refer to me as "a friend of mine".

Evan! said:
No, wrong. It doesn't take all kinds. This world would be JUST fine without a whole bunch of kinds. Like the jerkasses in the front of the line who make a left turn at an intersection when the light turns green and cut off the people on the opposite side who are going straight, just because he's too much of an impatient ******* to wait his turn and yield to those who have the right of way.

We'd be fine with those kinds. :D

I saw almost exactly what you described happen a couple of days ago. Fortunately for me, they turned after I went through the light. I thought maybe they had changed the law here, since two cars did it in a row.

That same day, we had a safety meeting at work, and were talking about all of the things on the job that could be hazardous. I personally think the most dangerous part of my day is driving to and from work.

Everyone says they have the worst drivers. When I lived in WA state, I thought that Seattle drivers were bad. Then I moved to Oahu (1 million people, not that many miles of road), and discovered the worst drivers I have ever seen. But, then I've never been to Virginia or Memphis, so maybe I haven't seen the worst.

Back