Brewing in the rain sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
ok it wasnt raining bad or anything, but what happened was i kept my kettle partially covered (about 50 percent) and didnt take into account i would get less wort boiled off. after 60 min i killed the burner, placed the kettle in an ice bath and cooled it with my immersion chiller. Then after all that i went to whirlpool and thats when i noticed the mistake.
i ended up with about 6.5 gallons of wort instead of 5.5. I was initially gonna say screw it and just fill my 6.5g primary the the top and use a blow off but i was kind of pissed (not drunk-Mad) so i just racked maybe 5.75 g's and aerated and pitched.
The thing that sucks is that this is my 5th batch using my new system and i think ive got it down as far as grain/water ratio's, strike temps, steps, etc...And everything went off as planned except for the stupid rain/boil off problem.
So in the end ive got an APA with an og of 1.042 instead of 1.052-55 i expected. No big deal really, but the ibu/og ratio is all out of whack now. (50 ibu's/1.042)

Thats one reason why I like to brew inside. My own kitchen. Rain is only part of my problem.... it's 91 out there now...

Beer Snob said:
Thats one reason why I like to brew inside. My own kitchen. Rain is only part of my problem.... it's 91 out there now...

91?

Weenie ;)

We've got triple digits and high humidity forecasted here for the next several days. Woohoo.

cweston said:
91?

Weenie ;)

We've got triple digits and high humidity forecasted here for the next several days. Woohoo.

:D Yeah I know... always not liked heat and usually love Winter. Last Winter was the exception to the rule with the medical problems I had at the time I was always very cold. Hoping that this next Winter I'll go back to loving it!

Freaking hot and humid here, too, and my neighbor wants to brew a batch on my system. Usually that means he watches me brew, but tomorrow I'm gonna kick back with a cigar and some brew and tell him what to do.

At least when it rains I can just ease the burner under the garage a bit and carry on.

good plan. I'll be brewing sunday night, but I am still chef cook and bottle washer. I need to enlist the neighbors.

I love my current arrangement. I can brew on the patio, in the garage with the door open or closed.

Thank God for the brewshed except it does get hot , just installed a gable vent fan to help pull out some of the heat. Just need to make sure I have plenty of COLD beer and water when I brew, which should be Monday if all goes right.

Latest posts

Back